Skyscraper on fire in Dubai

Caporegime
The two building are also built entirely differently. For a start the external walls in most modern skyscrapers aren't load bearing.

Man of Honour
Didn't evacuate?! I wonder if that is due to flames blocking exit? Or they knew the fire couldn't spread further and it was safer to leave them where they were?

Any news on the cause of it?

Sorry, I didn't explain very well. I meant didn't evacuate the surrounding areas.

It was pandemonium when it was realised how bad it was.

They absolutely did evacuate the building and the shopping mall next door. What area do you expect them to evacuate, the entire city?

I would've thought they would've moved people from the street in front of the building.

Soldato
What an AWFUL chintzy tacky eyesore, but Arab-types are completely classless in this respect ("look at my gaudy gucci scarf") etc. Seeing this kind of garbage makes me smile, it just goes to show money can't buy class, Westerners have a level of class which Middle Easterners spend their whole lives trying to emulate, and fail spectacularly at. Simply ghastly.

Are you aware that different regions/countries/continents have different cultures and traditions? It's what makes the world so interesting.

Ghastly to you isn't ghastly to them. How dull would the world be if you stepped into a room in London, Dubai and Tokyo and they all looked the same.

They adore heritage and in that sense I feel quite sorry for them not having much of their own, but at the same time they massively respect anything that does have heritage. In any plush hotel the marble will be Italian, the clocks Swiss, the whisky Scottish, the chefs French etc etc. In that sense it's much less tacky than at first glance; it's all the real deal and not just some theme park made of wood.

Yes they buy it in but what else can they do. They're embracing the modern world/Western culture which is more than can be said for their neighbours Saudi Arabia or the numerous other countries still shaming human rights or modern values on a far bigger scale with no intentions of changing.

Soldato
My missus aunty lives right by there, we were on the phone last night about it.
Everyone safe and well, evacuation was swift and professional. ;)

Looks like the building was made of paper the way it went up! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom