Skyscraper on fire in Dubai

Man of Honour
I had a friend in Dubai while this was happening. I have seen a selfie of him with this hotel in the background. Everyone thought it was a small fire and, if there are no injuries, it is sheer fluke. Seems they didn't evacuate and people were just stood around very close to it.

Associate
I had a friend in Dubai while this was happening. I have seen a selfie of him with this hotel in the background. Everyone thought it was a small fire and, if there are no injuries, it is sheer fluke. Seems they didn't evacuate and people were just stood around very close to it.

Didn't evacuate?! I wonder if that is due to flames blocking exit? Or they knew the fire couldn't spread further and it was safer to leave them where they were?

Any news on the cause of it?

Caporegime

They absolutely did evacuate the building and the shopping mall next door. What area do you expect them to evacuate, the entire city?

Art

Art

Associate
doesnt look that badly damaged.

Maybe not cosmetically, but given how fast the whole thing went up I'd wonder what else is wrong with it that you can't see.

EDIT: No fatalities according to The Guardian article:

A huge fire which engulfed part of a luxury hotel in Dubai, near where revellers had gathered to watch a New Year’s Eve fireworks display, has been brought under control without any fatalities...The Dubai government said one person had a heart attack as a result of the smoke and the rush to get out of the building. One person was described as being moderately injured and 16 people were said to have suffered minor injuries.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom