34" UltraWide decision

Soldato
Well after a few hours with the ultrawide Iam over the moon with it games just fill your whole peripheral vision its so immersive.
Picture quality is excellent, no smearing or lag, got a bit of light bleed in 2 corners but nothing to bad. I have got 3 dead pixels in the far top right about an inch from the bezel, I can only see them when I am 6 inches away and looking, they look like dust on the screen from normal viewing distance they are invisible.
Build quality seems excellent only thing I dont like are the touch buttons. Oh and I got a euro plug in the box not a uk one? Overall very happy. :)
pANbhyal.jpg
Project cars looks awsome.
vTneqcal.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just had a delivery from Overclockers.co.uk. The AOC I have received is 2nd Hand. Not happy. In touch with clockers now. I cannot believe this.

Soldato
OP
How can you tell? I expect OCUK do random QC checks.

I'll not post pictures to irritate, but my issue has been resolved in a new one (checked) is being delivered tomorrow and take this heap of junk away . If anyone saw the box clearly it isn't new and NEVER should have been sent out. Kudos for quick replacement and help on the phone from clockers, but how this unit got sent out would amaze anyone. The screws, which some where missing where wrapped in a printed out overclockers /DPD return form!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll not post pictures to irritate, but my issue has been resolved in a new one (checked) is being delivered tomorrow and take this heap of junk away . If anyone saw the box clearly it isn't new and NEVER should have been sent out. Kudos for quick replacement and help on the phone from clockers, but how this unit got sent out would amaze anyone. The screws, which some where missing where wrapped in a printed out overclockers /DPD return form!

You will have your new one tomorrow, make sure the AOC seal on the opening part of the box is not broken, mine was sealed and all parts of the monitor , stand are covered in plastic so make sure to get it all off, there is a lot of plastic wrap stuck to it.

I purchased mine from OCUK too, not sure what is going on recently with them selling B grade goods as new.. Really need to fix this situation, seems a lot of complaints recently about it.

Don't let it leave a bad taste in your mouth with the monitor, you will love it when you get it and also remember to leave it a few days to run in and to let the bezels settle into their normal positions so the ips glow reduces. This is normal for all ips monitors that they need time for the bezels to push out a little as they are sprung on a sponge like material. So don't panic if you see a bit of ips glow in the bottom or top corners it will settle and remember all ips have glow so don't confuse glow with back light bleed.

If you move your head straight on and it vanishes it's ips glow, if it remains it could be back light bleed. Mine has no back light bleed, but the usual and normal levels of ips glow which is not bad at all for such a wide monitor, seen 16:9's with a lot worse and they were classed as good.

Enjoy your monitor when you get it and do let us know how you get on and if you need any help, don't install the software that came with it on the CD, only install the driver from here :-

http://aoc-europe.com/en/products/u3477pqu#support-download

You do that by going into the device manager select the generic screen and say update driver and point it to the extracted zip file folder. That's all you need to do, the monitor profiles on the CD are naff and can make whites look yellow some have said, depends how your screen was factory calibrated, but mine out of the box was great as it is so only the driver was needed.

Have any questions shout mate and will help you out, it's a great monitor.

Associate
It is a bit worrying as they're usually very good at making sure that this doesn't happen (in my experience). Hopefully this isn't happening with other items instead of returning them to the manufacturer and/or putting them into the Clearance section.

Soldato
OP
Im prepared to over look the situation based on the nice phone-call i had and it wasn't too long before it was all sorted. A New replacement and collection is set for tomorrow.

As regards to ips glow thanks for the tip Pergatory. I did have a BenQ IPS prior to my VA panel i currently have (32" 1440p VA Acer) and the IPS glow on the BenQ (27" 1440p) was bad (both bottom corners) and it had backlight bleed in the top corners so that was it ...... it went back. I seem to have this repeating theme of 1 bad then 1 good. Lets hope so.

Soldato
OP
Why the AOC ?

Saw one in action and a LG curved one. AOC looked amazing as did the curved LG but on desktop use I could see a mild fish eye effect on the LG even though the curve was slight and it annoyed me. As for the g sync versions and the like. Absolutely no way I'm I going there as I have multiple set ups and cannot justify upgrading them all.

Soldato
OP
Replacement turned up earlier (and took the 2nd hand unit away). Brand new unit (as you should expect) No faults with it as i can see. Happy Bunny. Lets play ...

Soldato
Imo the vertical space loss is not worth the resolution increase..

Unless you went from a 1200p/1440p 16:9 monitor to a 21:9 monitor, you either don't lose vertical height or gain height. For everyday use you can find the width a bit pointless. Office work in full size side-by-side or belting around in a racing game or action game, the extra bit of width at the sides is very much worth it. Think of it as nothing more than 16(+5):9. :)

With mine being the curved Dell, you do see a weird effect, but ONLY if you're looking from one side of the monitor at the opposite corners with your head beside the screen. Staring straight at the centre of the screen is how you're going to use it, so unless LG are doing something wrong - or it was faulty - you should never see this effect in normal use.

Last edited:
Associate
Should've made it clearer, I did mean physical vertical space. e.g. http://www.displaywars.com/32-inch-16x9-vs-34-inch-21x9

I know because I was looking at it when buying my current monitor and decided against it for that very reason. I would much rather have more vertical space than horizontal for immersion and the games I play. I don't do any work that would benefit from ultrawide tho.

You are correct going from 32" to 34" will lose physical height. As most people are going from 27" 16:9 - 34" 21:9 it remains the same.

Soldato
OP
All in. Just need to sort cables and wall bracket, will do that another day. Love it.

20160107_135044-picsay.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom