Petition: Abolish road tax on Motorcycles

Soldato
Getting rid of the half asleep daydreaming car drivers on the other hand.

Especially the ones who can't use mirrors, and don't indicate resulting in them just drifting out of lanes aimlessly, while on their phone. :mad:

They are the people causing accidents, and ultimately causing bikers to crash. :(

VoG

VoG

Soldato
smaller engines than cars,most of them with far superior mpg how can they pollute more?

They pollute more because they've not been subject to the same level of oversight regarding emissions for as long as cars have, so we get away with murder in that respect.

Soldato
Indeed. Motorcycle engine technology is waaaay behind cars, and even the old argument of "bikes can move though traffic so aren't sat burning fuel going nowhere" is moot as most new cars now have that fancy stop-start technology.

Honestly, would you want your bike to go through (and probably fail) emissions testing every year? The new Euro 4 regulations are enough, sod having yearly emissions tests.

Soldato
I'm not sure the Myth Busters test would translate well in the UK/EU. Emission laws in the US are very different to what we have.

Soldato
The current VED tax system is non-sensical. For example, I drive my sensible 122 bhp hatchback all year, normally covering around 14,000 miles. I pay £30 tax for it. I ride my 160 bhp bike 5,000 miles a year (3,500 of which are overseas). I pay over £81 for this.

Just scrap the tax and all the overheads that come with it, and just stick the extra on fuel. Tax on usage, not he potential for usage.

Caporegime
but isnt road tax changing soon to be based on the value of the vehicle not the emissions, because people actually started buying the low emissions low tax cars and they need some more money again.

Soldato
As motorcyclists, we pay pittance for the performance we get. Motorcycles do pollute more, that is a fact.
I prefer to think of it as a small discount we get, for having to deal with the wet, cold, lack of wipers, lack of aircon, massively increased threat from road hazards, immense risk of being killed by dozy drivers and general lack of car features like luggage, stereo, etc...

The current VED tax system is non-sensical. For example, I drive my sensible 122 bhp hatchback all year, normally covering around 14,000 miles. I pay £30 tax for it. I ride my 160 bhp bike 5,000 miles a year (3,500 of which are overseas). I pay over £81 for this.
But what's your insurance like?
I pay over £81 for my 160BHP and it costs me £200-ish fully comp with all the extras.
The car I'm hoping to get will cost £230 tax and about £900 on the insurance.

Tax on usage, not he potential for usage.
Isn't that expected low usage pretty much why older vehicles are tax exempt?

Soldato
But what's your insurance like?
I pay over £81 for my 160BHP and it costs me £200-ish fully comp with all the extras.
The car I'm hoping to get will cost £230 tax and about £900 on the insurance.

What has the price of my insurance got to do with VED? Nothing at all.

Isn't that expected low usage pretty much why older vehicles are tax exempt?

I don't think so - there's just no means of effectively calibrating them under the current structure other than apply a blanket amount - currently £0.

Soldato
I like how emissions have come into the equation many years back was the size and weight on how much damage your vehicle does to the roads.

Have I missed something :D

Soldato
I don't think so - there's just no means of effectively calibrating them under the current structure other than apply a blanket amount - currently £0.

Bike manufacturers don't have to supply the CO2 emissions specs so it'd be impossible to rate bikes by that as cars are currently.

Funnily enough there was the same petition raised in 2014 which received the following reply:

As this e-petition has received more than 10 000 signatures, the relevant Government department have provided the following response:

The decisions of successive Governments have resulted in VED being structured according to vehicle type and registration date with VED contributing to general taxation revenues. Cars registered before March 2001 are taxed according to engine size, and those registered from March 2001 onwards taxed according to carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions.

Unlike for cars, the European Union has not yet established a design type approval test for motorbikes that requires CO2 data to be produced for each model variant. The current scheme for motorbike manufacturers is voluntary and so does not offer a complete dataset for all motorbikes in production. The Government is therefore not in a position to treat motorbikes on a CO2 emissions basis for VED. The current engine capacity based rates offer the most practical and easy-to-understand way to reflect the respective emissions levels of motorbikes.

The majority of motorcycle owners, in fact, pay rates lower than the top VED rate of £78. A third of motorcyclists pay the lowest VED rate applicable to motorcycles, i.e. of £17. The Government believes that healthy public finances are essential for future growth and jobs. The UK is still faced with the serious and unavoidable economic challenge of tackling the debts inherited from the previous Government. Despite this challenge, under this Government, VED rate increases for cars, vans and mototcycles are limited to inflation only, meaning that a motorist’s VED liability remains unchanged in real terms since 2010.

This e-petition remains open to signatures and will be considered for debate by the Backbench Business Committee should it pass the 100 000 signature threshold.

It will happen, but not yet. Bikes are a number of years behind cars but in 5 or 10 years time we probbably will pay VED based on CO2 emissions.

One

One

Soldato
The tax amount is so small for bikes it's not worth worrying about. It's even less money if your bike is less than 600ccs too.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Can I sign the petition to stop stupid petitions ?

Bike`s chuck out loads of crap be thankful for what you have.

Man of Honour
Back
Top Bottom