Eizo Foris FS2735 - 27", IPS, 1440p, 144hz, Blur Reduction, Freesync

Soldato
So tempted to buy one but it's bloody pricey. My faith in monitor quality regardless of price has been eroded, but from what I've seen it looks promising and this might actually be worth the price tag.

I would have liked to see one without the cloud/phone features and a reduced price.

Seem like the best way to control a monitor though.

Permabanned
Hmm 950:1 contrast at roughly 120cmd2 and 5ms lag then with Freesync and strobing at 144hz. Very very good i still think the Eizo coating on the FG2421 is my ideal. Pity had i not owned one and was OLED not around i would welcome this for many years. Once of them icons probably the last real hurrah of IPS too.

As usual top notch Eizo and Badass on the review. Falkentyne will need restrained lol.

Associate
Baddass, thank you for your test.

Please,

In office use / text, for you how looks text rendering vs MG279Q that has the same panel (and tested 6 month ago)? Same / better ?

Last edited:
Associate
Thank you for the review and thank you for the overdrive tests.
I just hope that this panel doesn't turn out to be a panel lottery (meaning that yours was not cherry picked). It would be refreshing if the majority of Eizo monitors had virtually no backlight bleed like yours does, without us having to play the lottery on $1,000 monitors.

According to the manual, am I correct that this monitor can run at 90hz refresh rate officially if you drop the DP revision number? *edit* nvm that's a freesync limit.
Someone will have to try this monitor with ToastyX's custom resolution utility to see if it can run at bizarre refresh rates (e.g. 85 hz, 75hz? Will it go out of range? Will blur reduction still work?).

Last edited:
Associate
How does blur reduction work? Does your fps have to be locked at at those settings (60, 100, 120, 144hz) to achieve blur reduction? What if your fps dips below? What happens then?

Also can free sync be used for lower end fps and have blur reduction work at the higher end?

Thanks

Associate
Blur reduction works just like ULMB/Benq blur reduction and even native CRT strobing (except worse than CRT). Blur reduction is optimal if framerate matches refresh rate at all times. if the framerate drops below refresh rate, you get a sharp stutter effect that can cause an annoying double image type artifact if the FPS drops too low. So it's always best to use a refresh rate as close as possible, or below your average framerate if blur reduction will work there.

If someone buys this monitor, they will have to test lower custom refresh rates to see if the monitor can still sync with blur reduction and what the "cutoff" is. This depends purely on the monitor scaler and firmware. An example is 2560x1440 @ 85 hz. if the firmware allows it, it will sync at this refresh rate and blur reduction will strobe once per refresh. If it will not allow it, it will strobe twice. If it were not programmed for 85hz at all (like the Benq XL2730Z not being able to strobe lower than 120hz), it may strobe at 100hz timings, which will be an unusable mess.

Man of Honour
If someone buys this monitor, they will have to test lower custom refresh rates to see if the monitor can still sync with blur reduction and what the "cutoff" is. This depends purely on the monitor scaler and firmware. An example is 2560x1440 @ 85 hz. if the firmware allows it, it will sync at this refresh rate and blur reduction will strobe once per refresh. If it will not allow it, it will strobe twice. If it were not programmed for 85hz at all (like the Benq XL2730Z not being able to strobe lower than 120hz), it may strobe at 100hz timings, which will be an unusable mess.

I've still got it with me, so have run some further tests for you. The screen will accept 2560 x 1440 at both 75Hz and 85Hz fine if you create them as custom resolutions. However, if you then run blur reduction mode the strobing is still synced as if it was 60Hz (i.e. at 120Hz rate). Rather than a doubleing image like you get at 60Hz setting, you get stuttering in the moving image tests sadly. so doesn't look like strobing will work outside of standard refresh rate timings

Associate
Ah, thank you.
Then no 85hz for Call of duty Black Ops 3 :(

So basically similar to the XL2730Z freesync monitor at 100hz, then!

I'm pretty sure this is something Eizo could easily address in a firmware update, though. Is there any chance you could ask Eizo about possibly including that feature in a firmware upgrade in the future? I know they've had firmware updates for their other monitors (one of the few companies that have allowed firmware upgrades without third party ISP devices).

I know I'm being difficult, but I feel like strobing has gone in a circle the last few years. The last monitor that allowed single strobing at all refresh rates was the Benq XL2720Z and the 24" versions, and XL2430T, and a lot of that was actually due to undocumented firmware bugs! (e.g. certain refresh rates lower than 100hz would strobe out of sync (Like the Eizo at 85hz) unless you used a "Vertical Total" tweak to force 60hz pulse widths, with SS enabled, which was apparently a failsafe fallback in the firmware)

By the way I want to thank you for your excellent review. Sorry if I seem ungrateful in any way. I just wish manufacturers would put a little more effort into strobing but I guess all the market noise about VRR...

Back
Top Bottom