Going for an interview without a suit

Soldato
Remember getting called into an impromptu interview for a hotel management job, just got back into the country and didn't have a matching suit so simply wore Oxford shoes, pants, shirt and tie with a peacoat over it which I took off obviously. Still looked smart to be fair just without the jacket part of the suit. Got the job no problem but saying that they were already interested before the interview.

Caporegime
Never shy away from discussing package, it's why we all work. Personally I wouldn't even interview for a role unless I had a clear statement on package, though I suspect I am at a different stage in my career than the OP.

I think others (myself included) don't like it because we feel its all a trap

Bid too low = obviously never done this job. Doesn't know what he's talking about. Good bye
Bid too high = obviously either a money grabber or has no idea what the job paid and just picked a high number = Good bye
Happen to Guess Exactly What They had in mind = Under ambitious, should have gone for more.

I just don't think you can win in these debates.

Soldato
I think others (myself included) don't like it because we feel its all a trap

Bid too low = obviously never done this job. Doesn't know what he's talking about. Good bye
Bid too high = obviously either a money grabber or has no idea what the job paid and just picked a high number = Good bye
Happen to Guess Exactly What They had in mind = Under ambitious, should have gone for more.

I just don't think you can win in these debates.

How do you know the recruiter is thinking like that?

People often forget interviews are a 2 way thing; it's just as much about you assessing if this company/person is right to work for. A significant part of that is about are they offering the right package.

Soldato
(however I will be asking for a higher salary than the standard interviewee)

Careful with that. The whole "standard interviewee" bit, not the asking for more money bit.

Don't mistake confidence in your own ability with appearing pompous, because that comment makes you appear exactly that. What is "standard" and what makes you any more special?

There are ways to bring out your skills and experience. One of those is not to belittle others who may be applying for the role.

(I am also guessing this is what Housey was referring to).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
They were recruiting people for a "Competitive salary" with under 2 years experience, I applied and by the time the standard graduate intake is, id have 2 years experience (and a 6 monthly pay rise to probably around x+1k on my existing xk salary). Thus I don't think asking for a couple k more on a standard graduate rate seems unreasonable.

They said generally the starting salary is x-4

End of the day any issues and I can stay put, in a job I like with good positives to it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
(I am also guessing this is what Housey was referring to).

Well that's an example and he is an extremely experience mid 20 year old ;)

But it is a general point as we have had loads of threads like this on here and they go on for pages, so I was trying to bring it back to 'wear a suit'.

Soldato
OP
Got a verbal (need to see the paperwork first!) offer of 4.5k over the standard grad, only got to do 1.5k worth of salary negotiation now to get what im after!

thanks for tips all, and turns out you apparently can get jobs without a suit :p

Soldato
Hahaha!

Very true, it is possible he could have. I am surprised an offer has been made without the suit at all though.

I did a similar thing to be honest. Was doing interview rounds last week for very big firms. 2/3 I went in fully suited, got far in the process. The last one I wasn't too keen on, wore just a shirt and jacket no tie, argued with the interviewer, made them backtrack... ended up having 3 business teams bidding for me to join their team at a more senior position.

Sometimes interviews and hiring just works strange. :rolleyes:

For me it's:

- Be confident
- Be passionate
- Share your beliefs if you can back them up, aka I disagree with X theory in this circumstance because of xyz
- Don't talk bs

People like people, horrible phrase and said 1000's of times, but it's very true unless you have someone hiring on a power trip.

But I agree with the main premise, you should always wear a suit. But by all means you're allowed to experiment and learn with interviews... if it's not your dream job, mix it up, try a new approach, what is the worst that can happen?

Last edited:
Associate
I did a similar thing to be honest. Was doing interview rounds last week for very big firms. 2/3 I went in fully suited, got far in the process. The last one I wasn't too keen on, wore just a shirt and jacket no tie, argued with the interviewer, made them backtrack... ended up having 3 business teams bidding for me to join their team at a more senior position.

Sometimes interviews and hiring just works strange. :rolleyes:

For me it's:

- Be confident
- Be passionate
- Share your beliefs if you can back them up, aka I disagree with X theory in this circumstance because of xyz
- Don't talk bs

People like people, horrible phrase and said 1000's of times, but it's very true unless you have someone hiring on a power trip.

But I agree with the main premise, you should always wear a suit. But by all means you're allowed to experiment and learn with interviews... if it's not your dream job, mix it up, try a new approach, what is the worst that can happen?

I do agree with what you're saying, and the interesting thing about what's been said here is often the interviewers don't wear a suit/full suit.

I've interviewed people in my last job, I never wore a suit or even a tie. But then I have been interviewed by interviewers in jeans...

Thing is, when you turn up in a full suit and they're in a casual/smart look then you feel a bit out of place and uncomfortable.

Man of Honour
I generally don't feel uncomfortable interviewing in a suit regardless of what they are wearing. My current job, the agent explicitly told me to wear a conservative tie, suit, polishing shoes etc and the hiring manager was in jeans. In some ways it actually makes me a little more relaxed because (rightly or wrongly) it gives me the impression they aren't going to be judging me on my appearance so I'm not say there thinking 'is my tie knot done properly?' or whatever :)

Associate
I get what you're saying, potentially I guess you could be right that if they're casual then your appearance isn't top of their agenda maybe.

Back
Top Bottom