Going for an interview without a suit

Soldato
OP
Update:
Had Interview (wore suit without jacket, and was well dressed for the interview imo)

Had technical question which (I think) I answered pretty well

Had interview questions (some about experience etc, which where fine, although my answers I feel I should have answered in more detail)

Had : "what's your best academic/career accomplishment "
" what's your best personal accomplishment"
Was totally stumped by the latter!

Got told the starting salary (Which was 4k under what I'm currently on!) and I asked for 6k more than what they're offering so I'll see how that pans out :p
(could make hr unhappy if it's 25% over their anticipated!)

Soldato
Suits can work if you wear them well (unfortunately not everyone is a clotheshorse that can make anything look good), otherwise shirt and tie and a clean coat which you take off before the interview and carry.

Soldato
For future interviews:

Suits all the way.

If you find off the shelf suits don't fit well, then grab a nice but cheap off the shelf suit from a high-street clothes store and take it to get some adjustments made.

A bad fitted expensive suit will always look worse and cheaper than a cheap well fitted suit.

Caporegime
Update:
Had Interview (wore suit without jacket, and was well dressed for the interview imo)

Had technical question which (I think) I answered pretty well

Had interview questions (some about experience etc, which where fine, although my answers I feel I should have answered in more detail)

Had : "what's your best academic/career accomplishment "
" what's your best personal accomplishment"
Was totally stumped by the latter!

Got told the starting salary (Which was 4k under what I'm currently on!) and I asked for 6k more than what they're offering so I'll see how that pans out :p
(could make hr unhappy if it's 25% over their anticipated!)

Did you negotiate the salary in the first interview? I'm either impressed or have my fingers covering my eyes depending on what they come back with.

Soldato
I'd agree that for most office jobs you should wear a suit 90% of the time. That being said, the last interview I attended I wore suit trousers and a shirt with rolled up sleeves with no tie or jacket.

It was for a media company that employs a smart casual dress code in the office. Even so, I felt overdressed in what I was wearing so sometimes it's about gauging the atmosphere of a company.

I worked in a company with a similar culture two jobs ago and turned up in a suit - felt like a complete berk to the point it made me nervous in the interview.

Soldato
OP
[FnG]magnolia;29112097 said:
Did you negotiate the salary in the first interview? I'm either impressed or have my fingers covering my eyes depending on what they come back with.

It's the first /only interview.

As for suits I'd dress similar again to an interview

Tbh I'm not expecting to get the job offer I'm after, altho the role is nice I don't want to take a significant salary hit, even if the work does look interesting.

Caporegime
[FnG]magnolia;29112097 said:

He's not negotiated it, he's just told them he'd need more. Probably quite sensible to do that since they've mentioned a figure... better than ignoring them then carrying on in the process for a few more rounds, getting an offer and then mentioning that the figure they mentioned in the first round is too low thus potentially wasting each other's time.

I mean if it was done via a recruiter then the recruiter would likely have talked about salary on the first call, no harm in giving a range or roughy figure then or stating that you'd need at least X.

Last edited:
Associate
Always better to be overdressed than underdressed, and you can never be accused of dressing inappropriately for an interview of you're in a suit.

Don't fancy splurging loads of cash on a suit just now? M&S I think do the best suits for under £100, and they come in a range of fits. I wish they did their superslim fit in their pure wool suits :(

Slaters also do cheap suits with free tailoring in house.

Man of Honour
Never shy away from discussing package, it's why we all work. Personally I wouldn't even interview for a role unless I had a clear statement on package, though I suspect I am at a different stage in my career than the OP.

Man of Honour
Always better to be overdressed than underdressed, and you can never be accused of dressing inappropriately for an interview of you're in a suit.

Its an interesting one - I used to be part of the process for hiring warehouse staff - if you had say one candidate turn up in smart casual and another in a suit for a lot of managers it was like the one in smart casual didn't even exist but my perception often was that some people when they turn up like that in a suit give the appearance they likely aren't going to be the one knuckling down in a warehouse environment or staying in the job very long. If you were talking an office role though a very different story. On balance of probability a suit will probably serve you better but for some roles and environments its not as black and white as it might seem.

Man of Honour
This really shouldn't be a debate. Unless you have been given a specific brief to dress a specific way, wear a suit. It's nothing to do with "the suit doesn't make the man", it's certainly nothing to do with "I have got all my jobs without a suit" and the whole "our company doesn't mind" is really missing the point. I get for many companies and people it probably doesn't really matter, but for most it will and wearing a suit is not going to get a "he was overdressed" remark outside of one or two people trying to prove a point. It is about intent and state of mind and for most it shows that this candidate is doing what he can/she can to secure this role, starting with turning up on time, being smartly dressed, not smelly and looking neat. The rest is over to you to prove you are the 24 yo superstar you believe yourself to be because you know what, you probably aren't but that's your opportunity so go make it happen.

Soldato
OP
Housey wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Just a suit jackets different :X (and I was wearing a smart coat)

No idea where you get the perception of superstar either.

Should hear back in about 2 weeks. I'll be sure to let ocuk know if the feedback is "should have worn a full suit".

A lot of negative comments in this thread, do people not look at themselves/ career opportunities positively/optimistically on this forum?

Last edited:
Soldato
£50 primark suit

or high end shirt and trousers?

I know what I would wear. I have never worn a suit to an interview smart shirt/trousers is fine. the only time I would say go the whole hog is customer fronted job/ big wig jobs / for the big monies.

aslong as you look clean fresh and smart that's all that matters. most people wear chinos and polo/shirts in the work place now. Plus I sweat my absolute nuts off in a full suit

Caporegime
I've got an interview next week (Thursday) that I only was informed about 10 days before hand for. I intend on wearing suit type smart clothes without the jacket, let's hear some tales of woe/people's thoughts on this.

Personally I dont think it (should) make a difference, and better than wearing my old ill fitting suit jacket. Previously I have worn suits etc for interviews however dress codes from interviewees I've seen has varied.

For info it's for a graduate role which I have strong experience for (however I will be asking for a higher salary than the standard interviewee)

I don't think the suit jacket matters that much anyway, most people usually take them off. But make sure you have a nice shirt, tie, proper suit trousers and shoes etc.. everything except the suit jacket.

That with a coat over the top at this time of year will be fine.

Man of Honour
This really shouldn't be a debate. Unless you have been given a specific brief to dress a specific way, wear a suit. It's nothing to do with "the suit doesn't make the man", it's certainly nothing to do with "I have got all my jobs without a suit" and the whole "our company doesn't mind" is really missing the point. I get for many companies and people it probably doesn't really matter, but for most it will and wearing a suit is not going to get a "he was overdressed" remark outside of one or two people trying to prove a point. It is about intent and state of mind and for most it shows that this candidate is doing what he can/she can to secure this role, starting with turning up on time, being smartly dressed, not smelly and looking neat. The rest is over to you to prove you are the 24 yo superstar you believe yourself to be because you know what, you probably aren't but that's your opportunity so go make it happen.

I couldn't agree more.

A well prepared and laid out CV (no errors)
A good discussion with the agent so both sides understand what is expected.
Turn up a few minutes early (but not too early)
Be polite
Talk clearly and concisely
Be prepared
Seem genuinely interested and actively engage in the interview
Wear a suit

It's really not that hard.

Man of Honour
Housey wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Just a suit jackets different :X (and I was wearing a smart coat)

No idea where you get the perception of superstar either.

Should hear back in about 2 weeks. I'll be sure to let ocuk know if the feedback is "should have worn a full suit".

A lot of negative comments in this thread, do people not look at themselves/ career opportunities positively/optimistically on this forum?

It was a general point as this suit/no suit question is a monthly occurrence. Now go get the job! :)

Back
Top Bottom