Going for an interview without a suit

Associate
Engineering consulting is very different to, say, management consulting. Knowledge trumps appearance.

There will be some exceptions, but the assumption that the most knowledgable will be selected, is probably one of the biggest mistakes anyone can make when going for a job.

Man of Honour
OP just buy a cheap suit under £100. I wouldn't employ someone who couldn't be bothered to dress the part.

It also depends on the job, if its a professional job then suit, if its working at a factory, retail, other non-skilled/physical work then trousers, shoes, shirt and tie will be fine.

What he said.

Caporegime
Every interview should be conducted using the "negotiating with hostility and rudeness" method portrayed in Silicon Valley.

Soldato
That's not my experience having worked for several (software) engineering consultancies. Clients always requested the scruffy oiks who knew their stuff and worked hard.

Did that really stipulate "scruffy"?
If two applicants had equal ability and all that jazz, one was dressed in a suit, the other in jeans them who do you go for? The one that put in the extra effort or the one that just shows up?

Soldato
Suit. Doesnt need to be expensive either a smart looking one from Tesco will do. I have 4 suits that cost me under £50 each. Didn't do me any harm winning a contract with a company that turns over £400 million with 4500 employees.

Man of Honour
That's not my experience having worked for several (software) engineering consultancies. Clients always requested the scruffy oiks who knew their stuff and worked hard.

Having worked in the tech sector all my life, over 30 years, I have never once had a customer/organisation request a scruffy person. They have requested good people understandably, but have never referenced their scruffy attire. On occasions I have had people complain about badly dressed people or with bad hygiene as I have had them complain about cocky personalities and bad time keeping. The best technical people are rarely the scruffiest, the same way as the best interviewees are not always the smartest dressed, but that isn't the point.

beh

beh

Associate
I get the impression that the majority of people that are replying in this thread aren't responding to your actual question of "My suit jacket doesn't fit, should I just wear what is essentially a suit but without the jacket?", and are instead answering "Can I wear jeans and a t-shirt to a job interview?".
Pretty much how I see it.

You can still look smart enough without a jacket on if you have all the other bits.

Man of Honour
Engineering consulting is very different to, say, management consulting. Knowledge trumps appearance.

I think if consulting was all about knowledge and experience they wouldn't be hiring people in their early 20's quite so readily :p

a person who provides expert advice professionally.

You'd imagine it takes more than a couple of years to become expert in your field.

Soldato
If an ill fitting suit leaves you feeling uncomfortable and self-conscious you risk under-performing.

Whereas you wear something smart, that you feel relaxed and confident in you can impress the interviewer more.

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;29092029 said:
I think if consulting was all about knowledge and experience they wouldn't be hiring people in their early 20's quite so readily :p

You'd imagine it takes more than a couple of years to become expert in your field.

Shush, I knew more when I was 25 than I do now at 48, loads more!!

Soldato
If it's just a bog standard company then definitely wear a suit.

If you're interviewing for a startup or a big Apple/Google type company then they will probably tell you not to wear one in the invite.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;29092029 said:

They won't be the consultants. They'll be doing the grunt work. When I first worked at one I was basically a data analysis monkey. I'd then put together the report and one of the true 'consultants' would advise the client of the course of action.

Back
Top Bottom