Given up something for lent?

Caporegime
Mr Jesus spent 40 days in the desert so thats why its 40 days long. I spent 3 months in Australia. Didn't seem too difficult to me so its not like he went out of his way. Got a 'look' for that remark.

Shouldn't that be "Mr. Of Nazareth"?

It's not 40 days long. Christians decided that 40 days on end was hard, so they have Sundays off.

Man of Honour
Nothing, it's another pointless event.

I find it quite humbling. It doesn't have to be at Lent. But see it as an opportunity to do something new or learn a new skill or give something back to a community. I happen to follow it but I won't go into my beliefs in this thread but it doesn't have to be the offensive "lol sky pixies" that people like to say.

Why people can't be slightly less aggressive and be more accepting about people's beliefs I don't know. It's sad :(

Soldato
I find the spiritual (by which I don't mean religious) side of such fasts interesting/intriguing. Though Ramadan is more so, due to its heavier requirements.

Forcing yourself to forgo something you have difficulty doing is quite an interesting challenge. And then contemplating those around the world who do the same, but in an absence of choice.

If I didn't feel uncomfortable about the religious side of it, I would be more keen to join in.

Soldato
I find it quite humbling. It doesn't have to be at Lent. But see it as an opportunity to do something new or learn a new skill or give something back to a community. I happen to follow it but I won't go into my beliefs in this thread but it doesn't have to be the offensive "lol sky pixies" that people like to say.

Why people can't be slightly less aggressive and be more accepting about people's beliefs I don't know. It's sad :(

How is it any different from making a New Years resolution? If you want to give something up, or learn something new, why wait until this date to do it?

Associate
When I saw the title of this thread my first thought was that it was about some Chinese bloke who was having to sacrifice something to pay his Landlord....

Guess not.

Associate
Nothing as I don't really do anything to excess to feel the need to which in general is why most end up giving something up for this period of time. At least that's the way it seems to me.

Man of Honour
How is it any different from making a New Years resolution? If you want to give something up, or learn something new, why wait until this date to do it?

I'm trying to give examples that don't vilify religious beliefs. As an alternative to the aggressive opinions often associated with religion on this forum.

Soldato

So true.

Back
Top Bottom