Given up something for lent?

Thug
Soldato
I've given up a few things which I'm sure I'll find difficult....

But this year I've also tried to pledge to do more rather than just abstain. Sometimes its nice to give something back.

Aside from the religious element, I think, just like fasting that sometimes giving things up can have their own unintended set of benefits.

:)

Man of Honour
I've given up a few things which I'm sure I'll find difficult....

But this year I've also tried to pledge to do more rather than just abstain. Sometimes its nice to give something back.

Aside from the religious element, I think, just like fasting that sometimes giving things up can have their own unintended set of benefits.

:)

Indeed. I felt that doing more this year was a good way of giving back to the community rather than abstain from certain things. I personally feel it is a time for reflection, penance and a time to be humble about your own life as well as offer a bit of introspection. If you can give something back so much the better. It's not about feeling better about yourself, but it is pretty much just a human duty or even a societal one for me. I'm not saying this is THE answer, this is my take on it. :)

Caporegime
beating women isn't particualfly funny :/

Neither is cancer, but there are plenty of funny jokes about it. You probably disagree.

The idea that you can't make jokes which feature: women, gays, muslims... the list grows and grows. Unless it's a "joke" about how much better women are to men - that's fine.

It's sad that we're self-censoring these days because we're becoming offended on behalf of other people, and everything is so bloody serious.

I thought "PC Principal" was supposed to be satire, but it's actually pretty close to reality for some.

Man of Honour
Neither is cancer, but there are plenty of funny jokes about it. You probably disagree.

The idea that you can't make jokes which feature: women, gays, muslims... the list grows and grows. Unless it's a "joke" about how much better women are to men - that's fine.

It's sad that we're self-censoring these days because we're becoming offended on behalf of other people, and everything is so bloody serious.

I thought "PC Principal" was supposed to be satire, but it's actually pretty close to reality for some.

No I get that. But perhaps you need to think about what you post before you click on submit?

Soldato
*Thread Bump* Lent this year runs from 6th of March to the 18th of April

So today is the first day of lent, I've given up biscuits, chocolate, sweets, cake basically anything with refined or added sugar and it's one day in and it's been horrible! I have had an almost constant craving for something sweet since about 3pm and it's put me in bad mood for almost the whole day. I'm not worried about it to much as I know is about 2 weeks time the cravings will go away but this year in particular is a wake call for me on just how addicted to the sugar found in snacks and junk I am.

Anyone else getting cravings?

Back
Top Bottom