How much debt are you in and what for?

Permabanned
Mortgage? None.
Credit card? Only what's on the card, statement yet to arrive. Which will be paid when it does.
Other? None.

At my time of life, any debt more than that would be terribly disappointing. I cut my cloth to suit my means.

Man of Honour
£16K left on mortgage. £300 on a credit card I really should just pay off but never get around to. I just leave the minimum payment direct debit running.

Things are going pretty well for me now. At one point, my unsecured debt was 1.3 times my gross annual income. 5 years working 2 jobs (before the financial crisis, when it was possible to do that) to sort that out, along with help from the CAB with letters to creditors and suchlike. Now I have about 6 weeks pay in savings and it's growing slowly. It helps having no car, no children and no social life :)

Man of Honour
All these tiny mortgages must be northerners!

Or lucky. Or close to the end of a repayment mortgage. Or living in an undesirable area further south.

I bought my house in a lull in the housing market ~20 years ago. It's in Stoke on Trent. £28K, which was normal for a bottom end house in a moderately undesirable area(*) of Stoke on Trent at the time. The biggest mistake I made was taking the advice of a financial advisor by having an endowment mortgage, which I later had to sell for less than I'd paid into it. If I had gone repayment from the start, I'd probably owe less than £10K on it now.

* I checked it out beforehand - it's actually relatively nice for Stoke on Trent but not fashionable. There are parts of the city I wouldn't live in if the houses cost £50.

Man of Honour
I'm a northerner but I've not told you how much mine is ;)

Pack of polos is probably worth more.

Little bit jealous of house prices and national parks you have.

Unfortunately 5k from years back that has just been shuttled from one interest free card to another, however decreasing at over 1k a month. Which is why I'm permanently skint at the moment,

Tea Drinker
Don
Most people won't know their actual debt, they'll just assume it's mortgage, credit cards and loans and forget about mobile phones, insurances, gyms, tv, broadband etc which are all potentially loans paid over time.

Soldato
5k Loan.. 2 years left to pay it off. No other debt.

Unless you count the Student loan? I don't count that at all as it doesn't show up on my credit rating. Its more of a Graduate "tax" than a debt. if you want to count it then its 27.5k

Back
Top Bottom