Road Tripping in the USA!

Man of Honour
OP
Because I like them and want to drive one. Is that a good enough reason?

Olly lives in the US so would have seen this question in the same light as we'd have seen 'Hi, I'm coming to the UK on holiday and would really like to pay a huge pile of money to rent a vehicle like a Ford Transit LWB', hence his reply :D The ones I've seen on rental lots have had no rear deck cover either so there is very little luggage space as you can't use the rear deck for storage.

The reality is that as others have said you'll get a far better deal on a far better car by renting a fullsize SUV which will probably land you a Chevrolet Tahoe or a GMC Yukon. It'll be massive, it'll probably have black paint, it'll have a V8 under the bonnet and it'll be just as American as that F150.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29467883 said:
Olly lives in the US so would have seen this question in the same light as we'd have seen 'Hi, I'm coming to the UK on holiday and would really like to pay a huge pile of money to rent a vehicle like a Ford Transit LWB', hence his reply :D

For someone who spends so much time in the USA, you do seem to have little understanding of it's culture. Pickups do not have the same status as transit vans. While yes, contractors and other workmen do use them as work horses, I'm sure you've noticed a lot of people using them as day-to-day transport. There's a reason the F-150 is the best selling vehicle over there. America has a massive lover-affair with the pick-up truck. It's part of the culture. Is the Transit the same over here? No, it's not.

Maybe your next trip should be to Texas.

Soldato
For someone who spends so much time in the USA, you do seem to have little understanding of it's culture. Pickups do not have the same status as transit vans. While yes, contractors and other workmen do use them as work horses, I'm sure you've noticed a lot of people using them as day-to-day transport. There's a reason the F-150 is the best selling vehicle over there. America has a massive lover-affair with the pick-up truck. It's part of the culture. Is the Transit the same over here? No, it's not.

Maybe your next trip should be to Texas.

Most people who use them day to day have them for other reasons as well, sans the other reason, they wouldn't have one.

Associate
Trip planned, Vancouver Mt rainier Mt hood, crater lake, Tetons, Yellowstone, glacier, waterton lakes, lake Louise Vancouver, 3 weeks 3000 miles. Half camping then a week around Vancouver and a weeks cruise to Alaska and back.

Associate
Any tips for mobile use whilst in Canada (Toronto) and the US (San Diego). I currently have a Vodafone contract and the roaming charges are pretty hefty. I've looked at importing a mifi device through eBay and using a 3 (Three) PAYG sim for the trip to cover the US part.

Also is it worth renting a car for a 7 nights in San Diego or would getting around using Uber be fine?

Soldato
Three roaming data in the US is throttled to the point of being almost unusable so I wouldn't bother getting a Mifi type thing. Feel at Home makes sense if you use Three anyway in the UK but if not you're better off getting a US SIM card.

T-Mobile Prepaid is $40 for unlimited calls, texts and 3GB LTE data, and you can pay $5 more to be able to use your bundle in Mexico and Canada so it might make sense to do that if you're going to Canada.

Just be aware that T-Mobile coverage can be a bit lacking if you're road tripping and end up in the middle of nowhere which isn't such a problem if you live here and have a postpaid account as you can roam on AT&T in the dead areas but Prepaid doesn't allow domestic roaming. They cover most of the major roads though.

Last edited:
Associate
Shouldn't be road tripping to much as were undecided if we are going to rent a car whilst in San Diego and were only there for 7 nights. I wouldn't mind taking a trip to LA for the day and it would be nice to have the freedom of a car for the week. I could get by on free wifi, but I like using google maps to get around and it is often a life saver when abroad.

£210 (Mustang @ Avis) for 7 days seems pretty reasonable when we will probably surpass that in cab/uber fares?

Man of Honour
OP
I have never had an issue with Three throttling data. I've no idea what its like if you want to stream Netflix or download 2gb files or something but for web browsing and google maps it's absolutely fine and I didn't notice any real issues.

Associate
If you've downloaded the Google Maps for your area in advance (which you absolutely should) then you really shouldn't need to worry much about data speeds or even coverage when driving, aside from live traffic.

That said I'm still not sure which SIM to get myself :D Are all of the major US carriers on the same bands?

Soldato
Potentially going to Florida for two weeks next October, and I'm pondering car hire choices. It looks like by looking on the likes of Virgin Holidays, a "Mustang or similar" is about £20 dearer than a "luxury" (Cadillac ATS or similar). What's the likelihood it'll actually be a Mustang from MCO? Having a convertible would be fun, especially a Mustang, and I'd pretty much just be doing it because I can, but the lack of baggage space might be an issue, and hiring a decent "luxury" car is definitely worth it (and still enjoyable) to me over saving £100 and getting a dull VW Jetta-sized thing so I guess I'll decide nearer the time.

I looked at prices for this October and not next October (2017) as they don't seem to like quoting that far in advance, but does around £450-470 sound about right for 2 weeks for these classes of car?

Also I was going to ask whether Three Feel At Home works adequately well enough for Google maps nav but it seems the question is answered above!

Man of Honour
OP
18 months away!? Why do people start thinking about this stuff so early :p

To answer your question I would be amazed if MCO isn't full of mustangs.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29480568 said:
18 months away!? Why do people start thinking about this stuff so early :p

Pass. My girlfriend's dad and his family are organising it, and we have been invited. I'm just gathering info about the interesting stuff like hiring a car that isn't crap :D.

I presume it's not the case these days that prices go down if you book relatively last-minute? (Both for car hire, and flights)

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29467883 said:
Olly lives in the US so would have seen this question in the same light as we'd have seen 'Hi, I'm coming to the UK on holiday and would really like to pay a huge pile of money to rent a vehicle like a Ford Transit LWB', hence his reply :D The ones I've seen on rental lots have had no rear deck cover either so there is very little luggage space as you can't use the rear deck for storage.

The reality is that as others have said you'll get a far better deal on a far better car by renting a fullsize SUV which will probably land you a Chevrolet Tahoe or a GMC Yukon. It'll be massive, it'll probably have black paint, it'll have a V8 under the bonnet and it'll be just as American as that F150.

You really do need to stop thinking this and actually experience a nice truck... my truck is the most comfortable, quiet and soft riding vehicle I've ever been in. Vinyl, leather, loads of space, all the gadgets.

My parents are coming in for vacation soon, I'll throw their bags in the bed with the cover on and they'll be fine, without a cover not so much, so space is limited. Get an SUV.

Man of Honour
OP
You really do need to stop thinking this and actually experience a nice truck... my truck is the most comfortable, quiet and soft riding vehicle I've ever been in. Vinyl, leather, loads of space, all the gadgets.

It isn't going to be more comfortable, quieter and softer riding than a Chevrolet Tahoe though is it and it's likely you can rent one for the same money as an F150 :p

Soldato
Potentially going to Florida for two weeks next October, and I'm pondering car hire choices. It looks like by looking on the likes of Virgin Holidays, a "Mustang or similar" is about £20 dearer than a "luxury" (Cadillac ATS or similar). What's the likelihood it'll actually be a Mustang from MCO? Having a convertible would be fun, especially a Mustang, and I'd pretty much just be doing it because I can, but the lack of baggage space might be an issue, and hiring a decent "luxury" car is definitely worth it (and still enjoyable) to me over saving £100 and getting a dull VW Jetta-sized thing so I guess I'll decide nearer the time.

I looked at prices for this October and not next October (2017) as they don't seem to like quoting that far in advance, but does around £450-470 sound about right for 2 weeks for these classes of car?

Also I was going to ask whether Three Feel At Home works adequately well enough for Google maps nav but it seems the question is answered above!

I tend to find that I pay roughly £200-£250 pw for a 'Mustang or similar' and I've always been able to get a Mustang.

Three Feel At Home is perfectly adequate for Google Maps, general internet searching, WhatsApp etc...

Associate
Anybody have any experience with anywhere that will let you buy USD in GBP but collect it in the USA?

My original plan was to get a small amount of USD cash from Travelex before we go, then use the Halifax Clarity for as much as we can, then order some more USD cash from Travelex to pick up while in the USA if we run out. However I've since realised you can't purchase USD with Travelex for collection while in the USA :(

Back
Top Bottom