• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
I just dont get what you are complaining about. First you say it's because the new cards aren't as big a jump in performance as you wanted. I respond, then you say, "Well the price isn't good for what you get!", which is a different sort of argument.

Just because a company is making good profits doesn't mean they have reason to slash prices simply because Moore's Law isn't holding anymore. You seem to want it to to be 2010 again and it wont be. Ever.

Which proves my point - the excuse the costs are going up does not hold. Doubling margins is not indicative the costs are really going up as much as people think. It is basically because AMD and Nvidia have created new tiers of cards so they can make more money,and milking people for the said performance improvements.

Even the Fury line was a cunning ploy by AMD. The R9 290 and R9 285 prices were in freefall. By introducing the £500 Fury X and rebranding the R9 290 and R9 285,AMD managed to increase ASP too.

Remember,the GTX670 came out at $400 in 2012 and was 20% faster than the GTX580. The GTX970 came out at $330 in late 2014 and traded blows with the GTX780TI/Titan Black.

Both cards in many ways were similar performance/dollar relative to the high end cards they obsoleted. GTX670 120% of the GTX580 for $400,and the GTX970 nearly 100% of the GTX780TI/Titan Black for $330.

It is pretty much not that great considering what the GTX670 and even the GTX970 achieved.

The GTX1070 is not the great card people are trying to make it to be just because the new high end is £500 to £600 and not £400 to £450.

The small GPU GTX680 and GTX980 were much cheaper in dollars than the small GPU GTX1080.

Plus the other problem is that the GTX680 was only 10% faster than a GTX670,the GTX980 was 15% faster than the GTX970.

The GTX1080 is massively faster than the GTX1070. The GTX1070 looks like it has been engineered so it cannot catch the GTX1080.

Unless AMD pulls out a great price/performance card with Polaris we will really need to wait until the GTX1080TI and Vega to probably see some more movement in price/performance.

Sadly,I am not expecting much but more hype and VR talk from both companies.

:(

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Associate

Videocardz completely fails to mention that the voltage is currently locked when they overclocked it via GPU Tweak II. Which is something Computerbase states up front clearly. Bad reporting !

/Edit

Locked voltage is only mentioned very shortly in the ending paragraph.
While the original article makes a clear point of it up front. Also, the whole Fury locked voltage comes to mind.

Last edited:
Soldato
Videocardz completely fails to mention that the voltage is currently locked when they overclocked it via GPU Tweak II. Which is something Computerbase states up front clearly. Bad reporting !

apparently reading is something you have no skill for :

That said ComputerBase confirmed the rumors from PCGamesHardware. The so-called Extreme overclocking (2050+ MHz) on STRIX GTX 1080 is poor. All cards are locked to 1.25V maximum, and when the voltage gets close this value, card become unstable. Neither bypassing VRM controller nor removing TDP limit has made any difference. However once LN2 is in action, the clock frequency can to up to 2400 MHz.

Soldato
So basically we need what, LN2?

If its hardlocked what's even the point to these top end cards with 6+8 and 8+8 power?

I know gamers nexus didnt max out the single 8pin with their 1080 at 2150mhz under hybrid cooler.

Soldato
So basically we need what, LN2?

If its hardlocked what's even the point to these top end cards with 6+8 and 8+8 power?

I know gamers nexus didnt max out the single 8pin with their 1080 at 2150mhz under hybrid cooler.

if you watch the Jayztwocents video he has to raise power threshold and fan speed above default to get boost clock stable , otherwise it falls back to stock even in an open case when gaming

Associate
apparently reading is something you have no skill for :

Yeah sorry, I re-read it like 3 times and only the last time did I catch it. Did an edit to my post, but you got to it first :)
Still the way Videocardz presents it is very sensationalist. Computerbase states it clearly up front.

Soldato
but why after spending £620 are you forced to use a 3rd party programme to fix the power / thermal profiling? why is this not working properly out of the box?

Dont forget it is working as intended. Within nvidias spec of boost and base clocks.

REF cards have always run hot and throttled with stock profile. Something like an EVGA 1080 SC with custom fans and ref board does not throttle. Infact it has a higher boost clock at 1847mhz over the FE card.

It is basic principle to increase the power limit when overclocking past these boost clock figures.

Back
Top Bottom