Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (June Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 794 45.1%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 965 54.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
The picture is quite clear the only problem is they contradict you preconceived ideas.

Firstly, assuming that these academic papers have incorrect conclusions, where are the academic papers with the correct conclusions? Is the research that supports your ideas supressed?

Secondly, even if we assume your criticism is valid, use other variables and conclude EU migrants have a zero or even negative effect, you ignore the huge negative fiscal impact natives have. No matter what variables you use and what numbers you twist, the natives always have a much larger negative impact compared to migrants. It's obvious why that is: migrants don't require taxpayer money to mature, receive education etc. Futhermore, they are on average better educated than natives.

EU migrants are simply more cost effective, there is no denying this. The concerns re migrants have no grounds in terms of economics.
I take it from that you haven't read the paper, or read it with the same care you read what I said. I did not "twist" numbers, at all. I put the same sort of caveats on the USE of numbers that the authors of the papers put, but that those seeking to use simplified conclusions either didn't read, don't understand or conveniently omitted.

For instance, Dustmann and Frattini didn't attempt to consider non-fiscal impacts, as it wasn't what their paper was about. This does not mean they do not exist, but simply wasn't what they were researching.

There are other reports, such as at least four from the IPPR, and more from MigrationWatch, and also the overall House of Lords report which drew conclusions based on a lot of them.

However, this is the world of academia. If you take two different authors (or pairs/groups of authors) and try to compare conclusions, you are immediately going to hit a fundamental obstacle, which is that they work on different datasets, including and excluding different groups, often based on different time-series, use different assumptions and methodologies and inevitably come up with different conclusions.

Some conclude net benefit, some net loss, some a range which goes both sides of neutral into net benefit or net loss depending on which case you use from the range the report suggests.

My point, if you reread what I said, wasn't that these reports have conclusions which are wrong. It was the bland assertions, in the post I quoted, of apparent FACT which categorically is not supported by the papers people usually quote when asserting such facts. The paper's own authors, with commendable academic rigour, go to some lengths to detail the weaknesses in the available data, and the nature of the assumptions they make.

But they do make a lot of assumptions. If you start changing the treatments they used based on the assumptions they make, which by definition may be wrong, the outputs of their model change.

My criticism is not that they are wrong. They may not be.

My criticism is that an academic conclusion based in incomplete and in some areas inaccurate data, treated to a whole series of assumptions and statistical processes are then treated as Holy Writ, and certain fact, as if they were the wisdom of God Incarnate.

If people are going to use academic papers like these to support an argument, at least have the intellectual honesty to portray them for what they are, which is an academic study, not Canon Law.

This whole issue is a perfect example, in a microcosm, of precisely what's been wrong with this whole referendum debate .... a lack of considered argument, of considering the argument of others. It lacks an honest acceptance that on so many aspects of the debate, there are no categoric answers. How can there be, unless one campaign team or the other have a time machine and nipped forward to take a peek at what the future holds?

Cameron et.al. are stating economic projections of 2030 as if they were fact, when they are simply modelling projections based on models that predict outcomes in Autumn that are proven significantly wrong by Spring the very next year. Leave have incoming immigration predictions that Cassandra herself would be embarrased by and a 350m/week figure which, while technically accurate if and only if the exact definition is given, is so grossly misleading as to be an offence to the intelligence of anyone with an IQ higher than one of the straightened bananas some of them would have us believe in.

Both official campaigns have been treating us, the people, as idiots and I for one am flaming furious with the whole damn lot of them for it.

A very large proportion of each of the several threads here on it have been even worse.

Last edited:

C64

C64

Soldato
Athletics stadium and gyms in millionaires row sw19 a stones throw from the tennis courts are funded by the eu and lottery money I walk my dogs in the park there.Sums the eu up for me they are giving money and funding services to the people that need it the least, still nice for all these rich people with all their expensive cars parked in the carpark there to get free funded gyms and athletics stadia.Carparks full of expensive 4x4's aston martins mercs etc.

The eu is about taxing the poor to keep the rich rich and maintaining monopoly's.

Hiroshima changed the world not nato not the eu we need to stop kidding ourselves that anything other than the atomic bomb has kept peace in europe.

Last edited:
Soldato
I take it from that you haven't read the paper, or read it with the same care you read what I said. I did not "twist" numbers, at all. I put the same sort of caveats on the USE of numbers that the authors of the papers put, but that those seeking to use simplified conclusions either didn't read, don't understand or conveniently omitted.

For instance, Dustmann and Frattini didn't attempt to consider non-fiscal impacts, as it wasn't what their paper was about. This does not mean they do not exist, but simply wasn't what they were researching.

There are other reports, such as at least four from the IPPR, and more from MigrationWatch, and also the overall House of Lords report which drew conclusions based on a lot of them.

However, this is the world of academia. If you take two different authors (or pairs/groups of authors) and try to compare conclusions, you are immediately going to hit a fundamental obstacle, which is that they worl on different datasets, including and excluding different groups, often based on different time-series, use different assumptions and methodologies and inevitably come up with different conclusions.

Some conclude net benefit, some net loss, some a range which goes both sides of neutral into net benefit or net loss depending on which case you use from the range the report suggests.

My point, if you reread what I said, wasn't that these reports have conclysions which are wrong. Ut was the bland assertions, in the post I quoted, of apparent FACT which categorically is not supported by the papers people usually quote when asserting such facts. The paper's own authors, with commendable academic rigour, go to some lengths to detail the weaknesses in the available data, and the nature of the assumptions they make.

But they do make a lot of assumptions. If you start changing the treatments they used based on the assumptions they make, which by definition may be wrong, the outputs of their model change.

My criticism is not that they are wrong. They may not be.

My criticism is that an academic conclusion based in incomplete and in some areas inaccurate data, treated to a whole series of assumptions and statistical processes are then treated as Holy Writ, and certain fact, as if they were the wisdom of God incarnate.

If people are going to use academic papers like these to support an argument, at least have the intellectual honesty to portray them for what they are, which is an academic study, n8t Canon Law.

This whole issue is a perfect example, in a microcosm, of precisely what's beenvwrong with this whole referendum debate .... a lack of considered argument, of considering the argument of others. It lacks an honest acceptance that on so many aspects of the debate, there are no categoric answers. How can there be, unless one campaign team or the other have a time machine and nipped forward to take a peek at what the future holds?

Cameron et.al. are stating economic projections of 2030 as if they were fact, when they are simply modelling projections based on models that predict outcomes in Autumn that are proven significantly wrong by Spring the very next year. Leave have incoming immigration prediction that Cassandra herself would be embarrased by and a 350m/week figure which, while technically accurate if and only if the exact definitionnis given, is so grossly misleading as to be an offence to the intelligence of anyone with an IQ higher than one of the straightened bananas some of them would have us believe in.

Both official campaigns have been treating us, the people, as idiots and I for one am flaming furious with the whole damn lot of them for it.

A very large proportion of each of the several threads here on it have been even worse.

This post could also be known as a Falcon punch

Soldato
UK Imigration

This appears to be the biggest reason being put forward for leaving the EU but it assumes our government can do a better job alone. Who here really trusts our elected MPs that much.
I can't see any of the EU affected decisions being made differently by our bunch of 650 MPs.
Just a thought, if France left the EU would we still buy French apples?
Andi.

Associate
I don't think its quite as simple as that :p

It really is!

Watch this... Not Brexit propaganda.. The BBC doing an expose on the EU. Fascinating!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/paxman-eu

With regards to immigration.. I think leaving the EU would stem it to a point but that's not really the point!

As it stands at the present, anyone waiving an EU passport at our border control does not have to give a reason for entry, does not have to have a job and does not need to prove they have the means to support themselves., nor do they need to possess any skills that we, as a country need. They are waived through..

Don't get me wrong, we need immigration but not unregulated immigration. Coming out of the EU will allow us to decide who we allow in, meaning our economy gets all the benefits from migration and none of the problems.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Wrong

They need as many migrants as they can get. Germanys population is shrinking super fast compared to other countries. They need the labour to keep their industries going.
ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/population-demography-migration-projections/population-projections-/main-tables

And she can keep every jack man & his dog of them. PLEASE cause we don't need them.

Soldato
Maybe you're right, maybe our Gov couldn't control the borders..

Theirs only one way to find that out and it isn't by staying held back by the Europe's Union..

Man of Honour
Postal vote came through today. Still not sure. Vote in for my EU holidays, vote out to control our borders. Decisions decisions. Free trade yes, Germany controlling our future, hell no.

Caporegime
Big business needs cheap labour.

Yes, but we can then conteol that flow.

Economy needs 10,000 seasonal workers great tive out an extra 10k tempoary visas that year.

Unemployment rises in the lowest paid sectors? Reduce the number of visas that year for people who dont score X number of points.

And so on.

Whats good for big business is not always whats best for the country

If bringing in cheap labour makes 30 heads of industry 100 million a peice richer but makes 100,000 low skilled 5k poorer a year then its not worth it.

Caporegime
I personally think that if we leave the EU we'll just sign up to the EEA, or have a Swiss style arrangement... both of which would result in the continued free movement of people as we have now. The only difference with regards to that is we'd no longer have a meaningful say when it comes to stuff like new members... so eg. if Turkey joins we wouldn't be able to use our leverage to get a good deal on transitional controls etc.

I cant see that happening unless whatever government does it wants to completley destroy themselves.

I cant even think of how you could spear head that pr campaign

C64

C64

Soldato
Postal vote came through today. Still not sure. Vote in for my EU holidays, vote out to control our borders. Decisions decisions. Free trade yes, Germany controlling our future, hell no.

we have visa free travel access in or out of the eu.

Only in the uk can you clothe feed and house a family off the back of a part time minimum wage job courtesy of in work benefits, no wonder everyone wants to come here.

I don't want to subsidize the low paid of europe thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom