Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (June Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 794 45.1%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 965 54.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don
Don
OP
All the poll-of-polls I'm looking at have it pretty much pegged at 50:50 at the moment.
I think any poll that shows a lead for either camp at the moment is within the margin of error.

Don
OP
If true then that's it. Leave will win.

I just saw the Leave campaign's NHS propaganda broadcast on BBC1. It reminded me of the propaganda in Children of Men. The ones with "Britain stands alone".

Frightening to me anyway.

Don
OP
That's disappointing because I thought the whole crux of this matter was a rejection of the EU political system, not the European people. I certainly wouldn't want any of my European friends and colleagues to feel that they're not welcome here.

My Mrs (Polish) feels this way too. She's very concerned that people don't want her here and that that feeling will deepen once we Brexit.

Don
OP
Hopefully, but who knows.

Jacob Rees-Mogg is spot-on in my opinion about Osborne:

Much as I'll be voting Remain, Jacob Rees-Mogg is someone who's views I actually trust. I don't believe all of the tripe that the Remain campaign is coming out with about the end of the world or the death of the UK economy, I just think that the UK is better off in the EU. That doesn't mean I agree with Cameron or Osborne about the potential disaster if we leave.

Personally, I think the UK will do just fine if we vote to leave. I think we will do better than fine if we stay.

Don
OP
Directives also contain a minimum set of regulations that must be implemented by member states. States are free to expand upon them though.

For example, the Tobacco Products Directive that was recently transposed in the member states' law regulates e-cigarettes and vaping products. Some of the minimum requirements:

Tanks can't be bigger than 2ml (thanks, now I have to fill my device several times a day)
Advertising banned (So existing smokers can't find out about them and maybe not die from smoking)
All products must submit a pre-market report to legislators detailing the device, liquid and it's specs before going on the market and pay a fee - not too expensive in the UK but some states have placed crippling fees on this (To make it harder for small companies to compete with tobacco and pharmaceutical companies)
Liquid for e-cigarettes cannot be of strength greater than 20mg/ml (so that new vapers who are trying to switch from smoking cannot get enough nicotine)
Refill bottles can only be sold in bottles of 10ml (great for reducing plastic waste that is....)
Ban on sales to under 18s (good)
Mandatory leak-free refilling method (not actually specified how this is supposed to work)

The UK has done a light-tough implementation of it, only sticking to the minimums requested by the EU. Other countries have gone much further by doing things such as banning cross-border sales etc.

There are also provisions within the TPD that say that if 3 member states choose to ban e-cigarettes outright, then all member states will be obliged to follow suit.

So, directives are sort of a minimum set of rules that are mandatory for EU member states but the actual legislation is enacted at a local level.

Don
OP
Interesting that you've chosen to highlight the negatives of most of those points rather than potential reasons for their existence. There are negatives to them but they haven't just been pulled out of thin air.

OK, here we go then with my comments on their viability.

Tanks can't be bigger than 2ml (the reasoning for this is the disourage chain vaping a large volume of liquid. I vape 10ml per day.)
Advertising banned (to prevent children from being exposed to it)
All products must submit a pre-market report to legislators detailing the device, liquid and it's specs before going on the market. (to ensure all products are licensed and tested before sale. Surely product safety legislation already covers this?)
Liquid for e-cigarettes cannot be of strength greater than 20mg/ml (to reduce the risk of nicotine poisoning)
Refill bottles can only be sold in bottles of 10ml (to reduce the risk of poisoning, again)
Ban on sales to under 18s (good)

Now, the reasoning for them is there but it's still stupid. I can buy a bottle of bleach from Tesco that is 1L but I can't buy e-liquid in a 30ml bottle.

Anyway, not going to argue on the points of the legislation as it's law now anyway and there's nothing to be done about it. I was using it to illustrate how prescriptive directives can be.

Don
OP
Please tell me how leaving the EU will prevent illegal migrants entering the country. The very fact that they are illegal migrants means that they won't be respecting any border controls.

Don
OP
The bookies rarely get it wrong, they make £100'sM every year. Yes they do get the rare one wrong like Leicester which is why the big fuss was made over it. Looking at the various companies and they are all in agreement.

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics...referendum/referendum-on-eu-membership-result

I'm pretty confident that 'Remain' will win. I'm interested in how close it will be though. Anything closer than 55/45 will cause all kinds of strife and challenges to the result.

Don
OP
I fail to see how her getting murdered should have any effect on peoples voting :rolleyes:

Because some people who are on the fence will see a vote for 'Leave' as siding (in a small way) with the position of the guy that murdered her. They will see a 'Remain' vote as standing with her memory.

In a situation where choosing one side or another is very difficult, it's quite often the small things that push you one way or another.

Don
OP
Can anyone tell me of one EU law that personally effects them to their detriment?

Tobacco Products Directive.
Contains a whole bunch of bonkers stuff about e-cigarettes and vaping that affect me personally. Most of it flies in the face of research and publications from the RCP and PHE.

Don
OP
Although I'll be voting to remain, I'm sort of half hoping that we end up leaving!
I really enjoy watching and reading about all the political drama, and seeing the heated discussion in here. A remain result will pretty much put a stop to it all. A leave result will have the politics of the UK in turmoil for at least 5 years. It will be fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom