• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Pascal GTX 1080 Owners Thread

Soldato
Yeh so that article on [H]ardOCP saying "it is not early adopters tax" is not really true, basically you cannot get anything other than the FE until mid june, with FE popping up every 1-2 weeks + a load on release.... overall I bet a LOT of people have just got a FE out of impatience... Oh well the FTW is getting close now so hopefully not too long.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a poor move. 980/980Ti had top cards in straight away or several days later with full stock.

Having to wait 3 weeks+ for stock for other cards is just...well.

Even though cards are all ready to go weeks before launch. Nvidia will make money easier on custom cards. Seems a strange move to make people wait rather than get them sold ASAP while the hype is still high.

Few thousand 1080s sold so far due to stock. 2 weeks into the launch? Very poor I think.

Soldato
Yea i agree, its not like they didnt know that they were releasing their own card?! Why is there not ample stock everywhere. It is like they are forcing the FE on early adopters preying on their impatience and dont even get me started on the price of the dam thing. Anyone ever heard of exchange rates? Clearly NVIDIA have not.....

I dont mind waiting personally but i can imagine how frustrating it must be for people who want it yesterday.....

Soldato
oh dear, whats that skippy, a multi national corporation doing what they are legally obligated to do and deliver the best value for their shareholders?

whatever next

pretty sure the people buying FE cards know whats what and the overclockers are quite happy to wait a couple of weeks for AIB cards

Soldato
oh dear, whats that skippy, a multi national corporation doing what they are legally obligated to do and deliver the best value for their shareholders?

whatever next

pretty sure the people buying FE cards know whats what and the overclockers are quite happy to wait a couple of weeks for AIB cards

I agree with all of the above, id just like to see that there was more stock available for those out there that want it today.

Associate
oh dear, whats that skippy, a multi national corporation doing what they are legally obligated to do and deliver the best value for their shareholders

What a stupid thing to say. We don't care about shareholders, we're consumers. Whether you buy a card or not, consumers have a right to moan about the company. Doesn't matter if they're following the interests of their shareholders to us, does it?

Unless of course you have money invested in NVIDIA, which would explain your jump to defend their actions :)

Man of Honour
OP
Nothing "it's like" about it at all....it is 100% like it. Nvidia prey on the suckers who want the latest cards for their forum signatures and the mug still buy it. That's why they are so expensive yet mugs buy them. Preying on the impatience.

No spec's in my signature, I got far too much abuse when I did.

I have not even mentioned what my plans are for the latest GPUs.

Soldato
Nothing "it's like" about it at all....it is 100% like it. Nvidia prey on the suckers who want the latest cards for their forum signatures and the mug still buy it. That's why they are so expensive yet mugs buy them. Preying on the impatience.

Or could be some of us actually want FE cards :)

OcUK Staff
There is no such thing as unlocked BIOS. Currently any voltage over 1.25v in 3D is not working at all. Power limit is also locked. 2.2+ is simply look of the draw.

Gigabytes card is basically reference PCB so I cant see it doing any more than FE.

Soldato

Again i respect your point of view, even if that is a bit of a silly thing to say in the GTX 1080 owners forum thread...... :confused::eek:;)

Soldato
There is no such thing as unlocked BIOS. Currently any voltage over 1.25v in 3D is not working at all. Power limit is also locked. 2.2+ is simply look of the draw.

Gigabytes card is basically reference PCB so I cant see it doing any more than FE.

So all custom cards will effectively be the same as the founders edition? With 180w + 20% power limit? Not like with 980ti where you could get G1 and lightning etc. which had higher power limit etc? All these 10+2 and 14+2 and dual 8 pin are pointless?

Last edited:
Soldato
So all custom cards will effectively be the same as the founders edition? With 180w + 20% power limit and 1.25v? Not like with 980ti where you could get G1 and lightning etc. which had higher power limit etc?

Is there any point waiting for custom cards with the more power phases and dual 8 pin power etc? May as well just get a FE then?

Even if they cant OC any higher then FE, which sounds somewhat like the case, aftermarket cards will still be a better option in that they will come with better coolers to maintain the boosts while running a lot quieter. To many that in itself is well worth the wait.

Soldato
Even if they cant OC any higher then FE, which sounds somewhat like the case, aftermarket cards will still be a better option in that they will come with better coolers to maintain the boosts while running a lot quieter. To many that in itself is well worth the wait.

Hm well apparently the FE is quieter than the 980ti reference at the same fan speeds, and keeps the 1080 cool enough at about 70-80%. But yes the custom cards should be cooler / quieter, but if they are not going to perform any better than the FE... what exactly is the point of 12 power phases and dual 8 pin power etc??

Last edited:
Soldato
Hm well apparently the FE is quieter than the 980ti reference at the same fan speeds, and keeps the 1080 cool enough at about 70-80%, so it would not be very loud anyway.

It is quieter, at least my FE 1080's are to my Titan X refrence, but still not as quiet as after market cards.

They still do get loud however at say 70% and you want to maintain a high boost constantly.

Soldato
It is quieter, at least my FE 1080's are to my Titan X refrence, but still not as quiet as after market cards.

They still do get loud however at say 70% and you want to maintain a high boost constantly.

The 980ti was ok volume up to about 65-70%, but needed to be at 80-100% to keep the boost clocks.

Soldato
Surely they won't lock down volts on the likes of the classified? if so how lame. Paying even more money than an FE for basically a useless extra power connector, useless extra power phases/better PCB and of course better cooling.

Back
Top Bottom