• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Pascal GTX 1080 Owners Thread

Soldato
There are plenty of such comparisons around YouTube, no need to repeat the suspicions ha ha

It's faster in some games and in others it's not. Sorted :)

I have seen a few yes but i would have thought it would be the standard as Nvidia themselves say that it is equal to the 980 in SLI.

Anyways, i am aware that i am repeating myself so ill just sit tight lipped until my STRIX arrives haha :D:cool:

Associate
I have seen a few yes but i would have thought it would be the standard as Nvidia themselves say that it is equal to the 980 in SLI.

Anyways, i am aware that i am repeating myself so ill just sit tight lipped until my STRIX arrives haha :D:cool:

Oh yeah Nvidia shouldn't have said that or clarified it.

Nice purchase man!! What's the ETA?

Man of Honour
20160608_020202.jpg

Nom... now I have to find the time to strip down my main machine and replace the 970 in it with this puppy. :eek:

Got the EK backplate as well which looks very tasty :)

Actually looking at it yesterday I think I need to pull the entire loop apart and clean it out. Temps under load never go over 50 bit the silver coil is looking a bit ropey and I'm sure there is some build up somewhere.

Soldato
Oh yeah Nvidia shouldn't have said that or clarified it.

Nice purchase man!! What's the ETA?

Unfortunately i have not been given one as OCUK cannot give me the number in line that i am. Stock arrives on the 17th though so i am hoping that i get included in that part of the stock. If not ill just wait for the next lot, im in no hurry really. :)

Maybe ill do my first ever GPU review specifically comparing the 980s in SLI vs the ASUS GTX 1080 STRIX single GPU.....

Last edited:
Associate
Unfortunately i have not been given one as OCUK cannot give me the number in line that i am. Stock arrives on the 17th though so i am hoping that i get included in that part of the stock. If not ill just wait for the next lot, im in no hurry really. :)

Maybe ill do my first ever GPU review specifically comparing the 980s in SLI vs the ASUS GTX 1080 STRIX single GPU.....

Yeah you kinda owe us that now :D

Nvidia is really milking the stock cooler versions for this one!

Soldato
Yeah you kinda owe us that now :D

Nvidia is really milking the stock cooler versions for this one!

I dont really know what to believe anymore, there is either a stock shortage of the aftermarket coolers or Nvidia have put a clause in place to hold them back for a finite amount of time before they are aloud to release them giving them the best return possible on their coolers before before the rest eat into profits.

Personally i dont care, but if it was the latter i wish they would be a little more transparent about it all and just say that the aftermarket cards wouldnt be available for a month after the FE release. Looking at the reviews of some of them it looks like it is going to be worth the wait regardless. At this rate ill have paid off my 1080 before it arrives an i wont have to sell my 980s after all. Im now thinking of selling those for a second STRIX or even pairing them up for the DX12 experience...... Decisions decisions haha :rolleyes:

Soldato
Is it me or is the aftermarket cooler market a bit crap?

It feels like a lot of them just have no idea what the consumer wants. Half the time I can't figure out who they're even trying to appeal to. I don't expect an array of Nvidia-quality coolers to choose from but surely they can learn from Nvidia's success.

Plastic mania with poor taste stickers, ridiculous LED's and names like 'iChill Air Boss X3'.. /rant

Last edited:
Soldato
Well recieved card number 3 after number 2 took a dirt nap which was quick! OC's like my last one. Happy to about 2050-2100 mhz so not as good as my primary one sadly which is good for 2200.

On the other hand not the biggest of issue as fan profile of 55% which is what I use typically keeps boost to between 1950-2050 mhz for SLI config. Good enough to hold me over I think until the big cards are out :)

Man of Honour
OP
20160608_020202.jpg

Nom... now I have to find the time to strip down my main machine and replace the 970 in it with this puppy. :eek:

Got the EK backplate as well which looks very tasty :)

Actually looking at it yesterday I think I need to pull the entire loop apart and clean it out. Temps under load never go over 50 bit the silver coil is looking a bit ropey and I'm sure there is some build up somewhere.

Nice.:)

Which AIB partner did you get the card from ?

Soldato
Is it me or is the aftermarket cooler market a bit crap?

It feels like a lot of them just have no idea what the consumer wants. Half the time I can't figure out who they're even trying to appeal to. I don't expect an array of Nvidia-quality coolers to choose from but surely they can learn from Nvidia's success.

Plastic mania with poor taste stickers, ridiculous LED's and names like 'iChill Air Boss X3'.. /rant

Wow! Who stole the jam out of your doughnut.....? Dam those GPU resellers for being creative! :D

Soldato
Radox, do you have to add any voltage for yours at 2200? Afterburner?

Only fiddled with mine without volts tbh, but am around 2020 atm

for 2200 yeah add a bit of voltage to the better card. On its own can boost to mid 21xx figure without voltage with 120% power target (and adding to the core). Can't hold it after 10 mins or so when it gets hot enough so would need a water block.

With 120% power target and no added volts both cards can do 2076 with dips to 2050. after that the crappy card fails during heavy stress testing eventually. I think my cards are getting too hot to maintain stable clocks over 2000 mhz for too long, not the core itself but the secondary components

Back
Top Bottom