Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It'll be the economically weak and vulnerable who are shocked when they realise it's actually akin to taking a blind man's stick and guide dog away.

The 'it cant get any worse' crew are in for a surprise and I suspect it'll hit them harder than the so called rich and privileged they so dislike.

The people it will hurt the most are hardworking people looking at mortgages and families.

Like Andrew marr has said it probably wont be as good as they hope or as bad as they fear. Probably.

This hysteria whilst to be expected is not helping

Suspended
It's a shame that you based your whole vote on something that was likely never to pass. You've always struck me as an intelligent chap, so I won't patronise you and say you fell for the scaremongering, but how many others did?

To invite all the problems of a leave to avoid some mythical future is incredibly narrow minded and short-sighted.

Before you think this is a dig at you, I don't intend it to be personal and whilst it obviously is disparaging your view - and I apologise for that but I know not how else to put it - I just wish that people had considered more than one (or two) reasons for leaving, and the wider implications than things they are selfishly interested in.

That's the problem, I simply don't trust the EU and have no faith that they wouldn't have found a way to sneak it in through the back door.

Defence wasn't the only reason, just the main one. I do not wish for ever closer EU integration and I suspected that, regardless of what DC said, it would happen anyway and there's little we could do about that. I do believe that, given the right political leadership, the UK can thrive outside of the EU. There will always be some form of relationship with the EU though and it's foolish to think we could continue to operate without one.

I actually believe that the immigration and NHS arguments were in very poor taste and designed simply to divert the poor from the real issues. I didn't subscribe to them for the record.

Man of Honour
Raymond... This isn't your half life 2 run over the sand forgetting your buggy... Aka fallacy.

Crap pit? We are still in the EU and will be for 2yrs. Self defeating argument made there.

Leave are saying or at least I am that we need to get on now!

Pound through the floor? Check history and you will find you are wrong.
Stock market stopped? It closed 2% down... That's a normal day of trade. Do you work for the BBC?
How can you possible say the pound hasn't crashed. It was awful pre-referendum as a result of the up and coming referendum, and it's awful now - the worst it's been since 1985.

The fall on the ftse250 was 7%. That's the one that reflects British companies better and the ftse100 is skewed by the abundance of international corps backed by the dollar.

At present it's awful.

Associate
The people it will hurt the most are hardworking people looking at mortgages and families.

Like Andrew marr has said it probably wont be as good as they hope or as bad as they fear. Probably.

This hysteria whilst to be expected is not helping

hysteria
hɪˈstɪərɪə/Submit
noun
exaggerated or uncontrollable emotion or excitement.

This ain't exaggeration, this is reality son.

Soldato
Originally Posted by thenewoc View Post

The real issue now is getting the right conservative leader with good financial acumen and negotiating skills to get ahead with a positive direction on the right trade deals, priorities, not being too soft or over committing to make hasty poor long term deals.

The fact that the EU want us to leave ASAP should be used to our advantage to push for a good deal and get them to sign off on it.

Soldato
The SNP seem to be trapped in a bit of a paradox. Nicola Sturgeon is stamping her feet because Scotland voted to remain as part of the union and is now being forced out, so now she wants another referendum to take Scotland out of the other union that Scotland also voted to remain in.

So, the message is clear... don't be dragging Scotland out of a union if there has been a democratic vote in favour of staying, unless it's Nicola who's doing the dragging against the country's will, in which case it's perfectly OK to keep holding a referendum until the idiots vote the way she thinks they should.

Yea. You've got heaps of credibility here, Nicola. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Too much hypothesising we need to get a grip and work out how the **** we maximise the potential of the leave however big or small that is.

Personally the only way I see this going will for the UK is if we do some major damage the EU on our way out. Making the EU a less attractive prospect than the UK.

The other option is we take the Japanese model of British business sticking closely together and the country producing top quality products. This would probably require a big change in British culture to achieve.

Soldato
Closer EU integration is definitely not right for our country. We need to position ourselves so that things both the EU and UK mutually benefit from are maintained. The rest can be dissolved and both the UK and EU move on in the best win-win situation.

Soldato
Originally Posted by thenewoc View Post

The real issue now is getting the right conservative leader with good financial acumen and negotiating skills to get ahead with a positive direction on the right trade deals, priorities, not being too soft or over committing to make hasty poor long term deals.

The fact that the EU want us to leave ASAP should be used to our advantage to push for a good deal and get them to sign off on it.

Indeed

Man of Honour
OP
Not being into politics I only heard about article50 after the results so had not anticipated such a long transition. My immediate thought was, since it will be so long and drawn out, how easy it will be for all the promises to be forgotten and that extra money we will supposably be saving to conveniently stay hidden.

What extra money? Can you be a bit more specific?

Is this related to the £350m?

Caporegime
My immediate thought was, since it will be so long and drawn out, how easy it will be for all the promises to be forgotten and that extra money we will supposably be saving to conveniently stay hidden.

Well the £350m for the NHS lie was outed about an hour after the result.

Soldato
How can you possible say the pound hasn't crashed. It was awful pre-referendum as a result of the up and coming referendum, and it's awful now - the worst it's been since 1985.

The fall on the ftse250 was 7%. That's the one that reflects British companies better and the ftse100 is skewed by the abundance of international corps backed by the dollar.

At present it's awful.

We are both going to have to agree to disagree.

Same old circular arguments. We will see the same posters moaning in a few years time about irrelevant drivel and ignoring and and all positives.

We can now trade and create our own deals without an unelected elite having to give it the nod. That's the best start we could have ever hoped for.

Another thread in which I will be abstaining from replying to now. Not worth my time.

Caporegime
Closer EU integration is definitely not right for our country. We need to position ourselves so that things both the EU and UK mutually benefit from are maintained. The rest can be dissolved and both the UK and EU move on in the best win-win situation.

Were you able to post how many times the emergency immigration hand brake was applied by the way? The other thread got somewhat unwieldy so I might have missed the evidence you provided.

Caporegime
Playing devils advocate, how many Remain voters made a choice based on scaremongering and lies?

Both campaigns were utterly revolting.

I don't disagree with you for a second :); I would hazard an awful lot.

I just find it sad that people would vote based on one single lie; either for leave or remain.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom