What were the advantages in being in the EU?

Soldato
We didn't have a say in the EU.

Don't start this again. We both know we did.

You're asking for the relative benefits and I'm giving them to you. Just because you may have felt we didn't have a proportionate representation as part of the EU doesn't mean we didn't have a say. Compared to an EEA arrangement, full EU membership is advantageous because we have input rather than nothing.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
We also know about the funding from the EU that goes into poorer areas of the country or helps with redevelopment grants and regeneration projects.

I never saw any evidence of this at all.

I'm extremely skeptical that the government will continue these ventures off it's own accord.

Yes. What this country needs is strong leadership that should now have a grasp on what the British people want, their agenda is to stay in power so it will be in their interest to listen very carefully to the voter and not an unelected broken system which is the EU. Heads will roll as these people literally have much less power.

Soldato
I also have family, some elderly and I share none of your worries. The government state pension is safe. If they have private pensions, they will be backed by under writers.

Devon will probably(as it's one of the nicest places in England) have a boom in its holiday(can't think of correct word) business, which will be a big bonus to local small business and the council economy.

private pension will be worth considerably less at the moment, as they are linked to stock, and british companies based in britain took a fair pounding, some with most us sales did better, so it depends on the split.
What matters isnt friday, it is the next several months

Soldato
OP
Don't start this again. We both know we did.

You're asking for the relative benefits and I'm giving them to you. Just because you may have felt we didn't have a proportionate representation as part of the EU doesn't mean we didn't have a say. Compared to an EEA arrangement, full EU membership is advantageous because we have input rather than nothing.

Let's stay on topic.

I'm derailing it too, so I'm half to blame :)

Man of Honour
How has this result affected you?

Err... It's kind of implied from my post - we will ultimately lose something that worked to benefit individuals and consumers.

On a personal level, it has already had an negative impact on the process of certain aspects of my working sector (deals being 'reconsidered'). I obviously can't comment further on that.

Caporegime
private pension will be worth considerably less at the moment, as they are linked to stock, and british companies based in britain took a fair pounding, some with most us sales did better, so it depends on the split.

the FTSE dropped a bit and then rose a bit... pretty meaningless short term speculation so far

Soldato
I never saw any evidence of this at all.

Yes. What this country needs is strong leadership that should now have a grasp on what the British people want, their agenda is to stay in power so it will be in their interest to listen very carefully to the voter and not an unelected broken system which is the EU. Heads will roll as these people literally have much less power.

There are a few from way back such as the IRA bombing in Manchester. EU funding was a significant portion of the resource used to rebuild.

There's also the recent letters from various councils around the country (Wales, Cornwall, Yorkshire) requesting assurances that EU funds will be guaranteed post-exit.

EU funding was used to build a new university in Wales to encourage growth.

To name a few. Problem is they weren't widely publicised and/or taken for granted. Now these sort projects will need to be funded directly by our own government and I honestly can't see that level of investment happening any time soon.

Soldato
OP

I have three private pensions. 1 worth peanuts, I took it out when I was 17 because it was free, but I suppose its worth £1700 now! My second is formalised with Legal and General(who took a hit on Friday but recovered very fast), and is guaranteed to rise with inflation, it's in the bag basically as my company changed pension providers. Standard Life, also took a hit but my pension is safe as I've confirmed it. Pensions all have under writers.

The coming months I predict will be worse for EU countries than the UK, shout at me then if I'm wrong :)

Soldato
OP
There are a few from way back such as the IRA bombing in Manchester. EU funding was a significant portion of the resource used to rebuild.

There's also the recent letters from various councils around the country (Wales, Cornwall, Yorkshire) requesting assurances that EU funds will be guaranteed post-exit.

EU funding was used to build a new university in Wales to encourage growth.

To name a few. Problem is they weren't widely publicised and/or taken for granted. Now these sort projects will need to be funded directly by our own government and I honestly can't see that level of investment happening any time soon.

I understand what you are saying. But the EU has been stalling on buying the Steel plant in Wales for months, so there was a very real possibility it wouldn't of gone through, in fact people had lost hope. Maybe we should sell steel elsewhere, maybe the billionaire owner needs to be patient as it is quite obvious that steel is a highly sort after commodity.

I don't see Cornwall, Yorkshire as poor to be honest. I'm not being biased, but the poverty in the North East is shocking, now that is a poor area.

Manchester bombing, how our own government didn't have the money I don't know, they did for 7/7.

Soldato
I understand what you are saying. But the EU has been stalling on buying the Steel plant in Wales for months, so there was a very real possibility it wouldn't of gone through, in fact people had lost hope. Maybe we should sell steel elsewhere, maybe the billionaire owner needs to be patient as it is quite obvious that steel is a highly sort after commodity.

I don't see Cornwall, Yorkshire as poor to be honest. I'm not being biased, but the poverty in the North East is shocking, now that is a poor area.

Manchester bombing, how our own government didn't have the money I don't know, they did for 7/7.

The steel thing is quite a strange one because our own government decided to favour Chinese import over home grown. In fact, that's something the EU was investigating as a cause for damaging local business. I have a friend who used to work for Tata up in Scunthorpe and that was a bit of a kick in the teeth really. For that reason, it seems a little backward to me because even if the industry was doing badly, there was a buyer (albeit slow moving) and the issue was at home rather than with the EU. I'm getting the impression that a lot of the blame is misplaced hence the 'protest vote'.

I'm from Sheffield originally and it's not particularly 'poor' but there are certainly areas within and in the surrounding boroughs which are and there are issues. I don't doubt that the NE is any different - from what you say, it's possibly worse. The thing is, that's where the EU funding was being used - our own government being as London-centric as it is, despite the whole 'Northern Power House' talk, has never really engaged these areas. Cornwall is well known and advertised as being the poorest area in the country.

Back
Top Bottom