What were the advantages in being in the EU?

Caporegime
Why do you have to "decide" which country you want to live in? Can't you be international? I've just led the UK and plan on living in Canada for a few years, but I don't plan on spending the rest of my life here. Whether I come back to the UK, spend some time in Europe (perhaps not now), Oz or perhaps the Middle East for a few years I don't know yet, but I do know I certainly don't want to spend the rest of my life in one place.

I u sweat and that many people are satisfied with growing up, living and dying in the same town, but many, many people are internationalists and are happy and want to experience the best of the world. Does that mean I'm not patriotic? No. Does that mean I want to experience the world. Yes.

Leaving the EU and the freedom of movement and work that that will certainly entail is a backwards step for many. Why should he have to decide wher he has to live? Why can they not spend some time in Austria, India and the U.K.?

Australia and India aren't in the EU and neither is Canada so not really much change there. Depending on what deal we end up with if you want to work in Europe you probably will still be able to, it just might require having certain skills and filling in some paperwork... I'd wager it would be made less onerous than migrating to say Canada or Australia too.

Soldato
The working directive is an interesting read. Just to recap

The EU’s Working Time Directive (2003/88/EC) requires EU countries to guarantee the following rights for all workers:

a limit to weekly working hours, which must not exceed 48 hours on average, including any overtime
a minimum daily rest period of 11 consecutive hours in every 24
a rest break during working hours if the worker is on duty for longer than 6 hours
a minimum weekly rest period of 24 uninterrupted hours for each 7-day period, in addition to the 11 hours' daily rest
paid annual leave of at least 4 weeks per year
extra protection for night work, e.g.
average working hours must not exceed 8 hours per 24-hour period,
night workers must not perform heavy or dangerous work for longer than 8 hours in any 24-hour period,
night workers have the right to free health assessments and, under certain circumstances, to transfer to day work.

Now I work for a small company that operates 24/7, 365 days a year. I signed away the 48 hour maximum week as my hours are 48. As a small company we do not have enough staff to have immediate sickness cover. So at the end of my 12 hour shift (4 on 4 off) I can potentially be stuck for an hour or two if the person I hand over to goes sick or is late. This week I have clocked up 64 hours due to covering holiday etc.

This also means I may not get my 11 hours off between shifts if I get stuck working on.

My shift is from 18.00 to 06.00 which is 12 hours which seems to be longer than the 8 hours over the 24 hour period. Overnight I am the only person in the building so I cannot take a break for longer than 6 hours.

Although these working directives look great on paper they are not always practical, especially for a small business.

I am however very thankful for a job, even in the EU jobs in my area tend to be minimum wage and 0 hours, otherwise it is a very difficult commute into neighbouring towns or London. My contract only recently had minimum hours put on it. When bringing up a family you need stability of hours.

As for the type of work it is transportation. Being a commuter town demand strongly out strips supply. Even without a work commute being a rural area the demand for recreational travel strongly out strips supply.

I suppose possible effects of the Brexit could be decreased business travel from the airports, however again demand out strips supply again so a reduction wouldn't be disastrous.

We do employ a lot of people from a non-GB background, however 95% are from non-EU backgrounds and have been UK citizens years.

Fuel tax rise could impact profits but wouldn't be disastrous. The prices we charge haven't risen in over 6 years and Petrol and diesel prices have been a lot higher than today.

The future will continue to be growth as they are still building 1000's of houses in the area and the demand only grows daily, in fact our self employed contract staff has risen 25% in two years. Even if it grew another 25% immediately demand would still out strip supply. My wife also works for the same company so as a family we feel pretty secure.

From a work point of view, leaving the EU doesn't seem like it will have much effect.

What I would have liked from an EU work directive would have been a limit on how long a zero hours contract could be maintained. Working for two years like that was not a feeling of security. Large firms continue to exploit zero hours contracts and they have never been challenged.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You can't live in 3 places at the same time can you?

No, but the ability to move easily between three places is very useful. Moving is stressful enough, let alone having to spend potentially hundreds of hours and thousands of pounds applying to live and work somewhere else (if you're lucky enough to meet all their requirements). As many will tell you on here just getting a sposal visa can be a nightmare.

That's a massive amount of Bureaucracy removed.

Man of Honour
So you voted Leave but you have no idea what the advantages were of being part of the EU?

This is sad on so many levels it leaves me speechless really. You voted against something you haven't even bothered to research fully?

Where in the OP does it say he voted leave?

I didn't vote but I also wanted to ask the same question.

Associate
The working directive is an interesting read. Just to recap

Now I work for a small company that operates 24/7, 365 days a year. I signed away the 48 hour maximum week as my hours are 48. As a small company we do not have enough staff to have immediate sickness cover. So at the end of my 12 hour shift (4 on 4 off) I can potentially be stuck for an hour or two if the person I hand over to goes sick or is late. This week I have clocked up 64 hours due to covering holiday etc.

This also means I may not get my 11 hours off between shifts if I get stuck working on.

My shift is from 18.00 to 06.00 which is 12 hours which seems to be longer than the 8 hours over the 24 hour period. Overnight I am the only person in the building so I cannot take a break for longer than 6 hours.

Although these working directives look great on paper they are not always practical, especially for a small business.

I am however very thankful for a job, even in the EU jobs in my area tend to be minimum wage and 0 hours, otherwise it is a very difficult commute into neighbouring towns or London. My contract only recently had minimum hours put on it. When bringing up a family you need stability of hours.

As for the type of work it is transportation. Being a commuter town demand strongly out strips supply. Even without a work commute being a rural area the demand for recreational travel strongly out strips supply.

I suppose possible effects of the Brexit could be decreased business travel from the airports, however again demand out strips supply again so a reduction wouldn't be disastrous.

We do employ a lot of people from a non-GB background, however 95% are from non-EU backgrounds and have been UK citizens years.

Fuel tax rise could impact profits but wouldn't be disastrous. The prices we charge haven't risen in over 6 years and Petrol and diesel prices have been a lot higher than today.

The future will continue to be growth as they are still building 1000's of houses in the area and the demand only grows daily, in fact our self employed contract staff has risen 25% in two years. Even if it grew another 25% immediately demand would still out strip supply. My wife also works for the same company so as a family we feel pretty secure.

From a work point of view, leaving the EU doesn't seem like it will have much effect.

I think a lot of people signed away their rights, I know I did, if I hadn't then I wouldn't have a job.

Caporegime
if you want to work in Europe you probably will still be able to, it just might require having certain skills and filling in some paperwork...

Exactly, you probably will be able to.....if you fill a certain criteria. Which is his point.

Right now anyone has the opportunity to go and live and work in any of the EU countries.

Caporegime
Australia and India aren't in the EU and neither is Canada so not really much change there. Depending on what deal we end up with if you want to work in Europe you probably will still be able to, it just might require having certain skills and filling in some paperwork... I'd wager it would be made less onerous than migrating to say Canada or Australia too.

Well no, obviously. That's not really an argument for going backwards is it though? I'd like to think eventually it would be as easy to live and work in many other countries as it is to work in the EU. That's the direction I want one world to be travelling in, not a more isolationist one.

Why would it be less onerous? Unless we have free movement why should it be? I'm willing to bet Brits will have to apply in just the same system as most other countries. Just as it is now for Australia, Canada and India.

Soldato
Well no, obviously. That's not really an argument for going backwards is it though? I'd like to think eventually it would be as easy to live and work in many other countries as it is to work in the EU. That's the direction I want one world to be travelling in, not a more isolationist one.

This for me too.

I've recently applied for a British passport, giving up my Indian one in the process as I can't have dual nationality. One of the main reasons I decided to apply for it was easy travel to Europe (and other places in the world), as I tend to go a fair bit within Europe for work.

As you can imagine, i'm quite annoyed by this decision and if it then means needing visas etc. for travel, since that was the main reason I applied for the British passport.

Other than that, the decision will likely impact me in a fairly limited way from a personal perspective (well, apart from the fact that my shares are now worth less than they were, the pound isn't as strong so travelling abroad is more expensive, investment in the UK is up for debate but likely to be less rather than more, so the economy as a whole will slow down and that will have a knock on effect. I'm also considering buying my first house at the moment and if property prices begin going down after that, then I wouldn't be the happiest...). From a work perspective, it might even be more interesting once UK starts overruling EU laws/implements things very different from rest of Europe since I work for a multi-national that likes consistency amongst its services and this is going to make things like increased cross border trade more difficult.

However, as Amp said, I do believe the world should be moving towards being more and more integrated. This is a step backwards.

Caporegime
Exactly, you probably will be able to.....if you fill a certain criteria. Which is his point.

Right now anyone has the opportunity to go and live and work in any of the EU countries.

Which is what plenty of us don't want... as it works both ways and means uncontrolled migration here (which could potentially get worse if/when Spain etc.. decline further)

Caporegime

Why would it be less onerous? Unless we have free movement why should it be? I'm willing to bet Brits will have to apply in just the same system as most other countries. Just as it is now for Australia, Canada and India.

It would quite likely be less onerous as we're quite likely to come up with a compromise agreement with the EU whereby we keep some aspects of free trade and have some sort of compromise on free movement...which means we're likely not going to be too restrictive re: EU citizens and vice versa.

Caporegime
As you can imagine, i'm quite annoyed by this decision and if it then means needing visas etc. for travel, since that was the main reason I applied for the British passport.

Very unlikely to mean that... freedom of movement goes much further than visa waivers. I can't see there being much of an issue with visa waivers both ways for tourism/travel - it is the right to live and work that is contentious and for which we're likely to want either some form of quota or points system.

Soldato
Very unlikely to mean that... freedom of movement goes much further than visa waivers. I can't see there being much of an issue with visa waivers both ways for tourism/travel - it is the right to live and work that is contentious and for which we're likely to want either some form of quota or points system.

Perhaps, though no guarantee for that, particularly since UK never joined Schengen. What if EU decides to be difficult and not allow this?

I also did quite like the idea of being able to just move to somewhere else in Europe without a lot of hassle. Admittedly in my line of work it would be unlikely, simply because I don't speak other European languages, but the idea that I could was one that really did appeal to me.

Caporegime
Perhaps, though no guarantee for that, particularly since UK never joined Schengen. What if EU decides to be difficult and not allow this?

Schengen has nothing to do with this and relates to border controls.

The EU is pro free movement not the other way around, in fact if they'd given some concessions on this when asked by Cameron in the first place then he'd have been able to give a better argument for remain, would have addressed some of the fears of certain communities that voted mostly to leave and might not have had Boris on the leave side.

Soldato
Schengen has nothing to do with this and relates to border controls.

The EU is pro free movement not the other way around, in fact if they'd given some concessions on this when asked by Cameron in the first place then he'd have been able to give a better argument for remain, would have addressed some of the fears of certain communities that voted mostly to leave and might not have had Boris on the leave side.

The Schengen meant that I needed one visa to travel around most of Europe. The UK wasn't part of this so a separate visa was necessary. However, for UK citizens, this visa wasn't needed as the UK was part of the EU. If the UK leaves, then the latter will no longer be true and it is not outside the realms of possibility that a UK citizen also needs to apply for a Schengen to travel around Europe. Is it likely? Perhaps not. Is it possible? Yes. Given that the decision was for me was quite a major one, this uncertainty is not something I like.

The EU is pro free movement within the EU. I don't see it deciding to allow free movement for someone outside the EU particularly if it isn't going to be reciprocated.

Associate

Are you aware that Boris Johnson is very much in favour of similar free movement agreements to the EU, the difference is he would like it to be commonwealth countries not the EU.

I am sure many leavers will be happy to take Australians and Canadians , Africans and Indians maybe not so much.

Caporegime
Are you aware that Boris Johnson is very much in favour of similar free movement agreements to the EU, the difference is he would like it to be commonwealth countries not the EU.

I am sure many leavers will be happy to take Australians and Canadians , Africans and Indians maybe not so much.

Has he made any serious proposals on this? link etc...?

Caporegime
The EU is pro free movement within the EU. I don't see it deciding to allow free movement for someone outside the EU particularly if it isn't going to be reciprocated.

of course not, but no one has argued that

Point is they want free movement as part of free trade. see Switzerland, Norway etc.. we don't. The negotiation is going to be how much we can reduce free movement and what we'd have to give up in terms of free trade.

Though again, regarding travel around Europe, this can be covered by visa waivers regardless of freedom of movement and neither side is likely to have any issue with tourists

Soldato
of course not, but no one has argued that

Point is they want free movement as part of free trade. see Switzerland, Norway etc.. we don't. The negotiation is going to be how much we can reduce free movement and what we'd have to give up in terms of free trade.

Though again, regarding travel around Europe, this can be covered by visa waivers regardless of freedom of movement and neither side is likely to have any issue with tourists

As I said - re. tourist travel, likely? yes. Definite? No. Giving up my Indian nationality was not an easy decision and this uncertainty does not make me happy.

And again, though unlikely for me in my line of work, the idea that I could just move to another place in Europe and live/work there without issue was quite appealing. Will that still be possible? It seems unlikely without free movement of people.

Caporegime
As I said - re. tourist travel, likely? yes. Definite? No. Giving up my Indian nationality was not an easy decision and this uncertainty does not make me happy.

And again, though unlikely for me in my line of work, the idea that I could just move to another place in Europe and live/work there without issue was quite appealing. Will that still be possible? It seems unlikely without free movement of people.

maybe if you've got no skills/education but since you got yourself over here (I assume because of skills rather than marriage) then no not unlikely - very likely and probably easier than India to UK

the tourism thing is such a non-issue it isn't even worth considering

Back
Top Bottom