Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
You don't mention the remain lot attacking people and covering their face so the cops can't see them...
Please can we keep this civil, the "lot" you speak of is a minority. Some of us are happy to be productive in making sure the UK continues to progress with or without the EU. We lost, Leave won, I'd like to think many of us are moving on and not mocking the cause we campaigned for :)

Associate
Associate
I have always said even with an out vote it's never going to be an armageddon and the world will still keep turning.

That doesn't mean things might not get very ugly indeed, an sadly, if we do go back into a painful recession the people who are going to suffer the most are the ones lied to to vote Leave in the first place

We most likely have another referendum, they will not allow us to leave.

Caporegime
EU Foreign Affairs Chief: Europe Needs an EU Army

Google Translate:

Immediately after the decision by the British for leaving the EU, the Chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee of the European Parliament, Elmar Brok speaks (CDU), made for a joint military headquarters and long term for the establishment of an EU army. Brok said the "Welt am Sonntag": "We need more cooperation in the European defense policy."

More cooperation in defense projects, in the armed forces policy modeled after the Franco-German Brigade and EU missions would make European foreign policy in his opinion much more effectively.

"In the long term there could be a EU army"

"We need a common headquarters and a coalition of the willing in accordance with the permanent structural cooperation of the EU Treaty. From such a group out could eventually an EU army arise," said Brok. This could help to "strengthen the role of Europeans in the security and defense policy, together better fulfill the responsibility of Europe in the world and also to achieve more synergies in defense spending."

The head of the Foreign Affairs Committee pointed but that an EU army still not possible and only realistically be today if the constitutional requirements are met. Brok: "In practice this means that the European Parliament must have a parliamentary reservation in operations given but should the European treaties and, for example, the constitution can be changed.."

The EU High Representative Mogherini will present next week at the meeting of EU Heads of State or Government, a paper for a new "global strategy" of European foreign and security policy. The new concept is to replace the existing since 2003 European Security Strategy (ESS) in the future.

I know there's a lot of negativity around at the moment, but I do truly believe that the country made the right decision. The negativity will pass, our economy will recover and go on to thrive imo.

LzR

LzR

Associate
It may have been asked already, but what does "taking back Britain" mean? Or "taking back our country"? A few of my friends have said this and I don't know what they mean. :o

I genuinely don't understand that expression in this context. If it has been answered I apologise, and if you can point me to the post I should be most grateful.
My personal understanding is this means taking it back from under the control of Brussels or the EU in general.

Soldato
It's been a pretty crazy weekend for UK Politics! Lots of Labour resignations... Hope things settle soon.

Calls for a second referendum is silly in my opinion... If we got a second vote and we end up "Remaining", will we then go for a third vote? :p Where does it end?

Permabanned
So, out of interest, given the chance of another vote, what would it be?

Also, interesting to know, how many other leave voters would change their vote now?

Firm in my belief that my vote to leave was sound and proper. Noticed today the French and German foreign ministers are unveiling a joint plan for blanket EU taxation....

4 days after the referendum many here are expecting stability and endlessly quote stock market figures. Cone back in 4 years please.....

Now for leaving the EEA.... but I suspect that the EU as we know it will be gone even sooner than I hoped though, and this next step will be unnecessary.

Little talk here about the other side of the coin, how the EU will lose their second largest financier shortly. Juncker is looking as vulnerable as Corbyn.

Had the EU done the sensible thing, given the migration fiasco, and capitulated on free movement of EU citizens, and showed unilateral support to stemming the tide of mainly economic none EU migrants, this situation would never have occurred. It will not be simple, cheap or without hindrance. But long term it will be the re-making of this country.

Associate
Easy to say 'they're just a minority' if you are white and not European.

If you are, it's entirely understandable to be worried and concerned for your safety in the UK after the reports that are coming in from the last two days. And that is disgusting and something the UK should be ashamed of.

Soldato
didn't seem to matter too much for the US back in 2011, there is still money flowing into UK govt debt at the moment - sure you're right about some on the buy side who will be forced to sell but I don't think it is going to to be a disaster

That's due to the volatility of the markets, even with a downgraded rating, a UK govt is still unlikely to default on it's gilts/bonds

Hell, Germany just offered negative interest bonds recently and they sold out immediately, hence is the distrust of the market recently

But on the other side, a reduced rating will increase the interest on our debts, no? And that will have a significant effect.

Caporegime
My personal understanding is this means taking it back from under the control of Brussels or the EU in general.

It was a brilliant phrase to campaign on because they never explained what it meant, and people interpreted it however they wanted to.

Sane Leavers took it to mean that they were taking back control of lawmaking and trade negotiations. Fascists interpreted it as meaning taking back control of their local area from Lukasz and Radek.

Soldato
It's been a pretty crazy weekend for UK Politics! Lots of Labour resignations... Hope things settle soon.

Calls for a second referendum is silly in my opinion... If we got a second vote and we end up "Remaining", will we then go for a third vote? :p Where does it end?

Best of 5?

Man of Honour
lighten this up a bit :D

EVERYBODY in the UK would like to know precisely what the actual ****, it has been confirmed.
As the news continues to resemble the season finale of an Argentinian soap opera, the country has asked what in the name of **** is going on and what exactly they are meant to do about it.

Wayne Hayes, from Carlisle, said: “It’s….I mean…no, genuinely sit down and explain it to me before I completely lose the plot, presuming there is a plot now and we’re not just freestyling it.

“Call me old fashioned but I preferred it when things happened in a sequential order based on what happened previously, rather than having increasingly terrifying, random headlines barked at me by an angry clown.”

The lack of anything making any sense deepened yesterday as Jeremy Corbyn vowed to fight on as Labour leader by painting faces on household items and appointing them to the shadow cabinet.

Flanked by an anglepoise lamp in a wig and a toaster with a smiley face, the Labour leader said he would continue leading whatever is left of the party, before handing over to his new press secretary Henry the hoover to answer any further questions.
Hayes added: “Do I need a passport for buses? Does the pound work? Is cheese still a thing?”

bahhhaaahhhaaa probably would get more out of henry, which is surprising as he generally sucks.

Caporegime
So I need to write some things down to ensure I've understood.

• The money that Norway pays in order to gain access, per capita, is the same as our EU subscription
  • Given the above, not only will we continue to pay ~£19b per annum in order to trade with the EU it will cost us more because there will be no rebates and no EU grants awarded to deprived areas
  • Also given the above, we will need to fund the thousands of individuals tasked with the updating of law, the securing and managing of trade agreements outside the EU, and we'll be trading at defecit for approx. 10 years while these agreements are bottomed out
  • It's likely that our AAA credit rating will not survive given what happened during the last recession and we're looking at the real possibility of a depression
  • None of the Leave campaigners looking like potential Cons leaders have any appetite to reduce immigration

So the only impacts we can see are likely are that the moves will cost us for decades and immigration will continue either at the level it is at the moment - or even at increased levels given some of the things said over the weekend.

Is that all about right?

I think the payment required for EU trade access is the same as what we pay now with our rabte off so £190m a week, not £350m.

But the rest looks pretty much right except you forgot we wont be beholdant to the European court of justice so we will be able to set any stupid law we want here without checks. I know a lot of people would like to see the WTD directive gone and the 11 hour rest requirement.

Associate

I think it'd be quite interesting if only to see how much the polls may have shifted since all the back-tracking done by the leave camp since the result.
Would people swing more towards the Remain side now that the the 'lies' are being uncovered and the politicians shifting their stances?

Caporegime
I think the payment required for EU trade access is the same as what we pay now with our rabte off so £190m a week, not £350m.

But the rest looks pretty much right except you forgot we wont be beholdant to the European court of justice so we will be able to set any stupid law we want here without checks. I know a lot of people would like to see the WTD directive gone and the 11 hour rest requirement.

But we will have no say in the laws that EU passes which if Norway is an example, we have to adopt 75% of them and it will really be like they are telling us what to do. Whereas before we might get outvoted but at least we had a say before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom