What has our country become?

Soldato
I don't blame the immigrants one bit. They are only taking advantage of jobs which British (regardless of race ) people aren't prepared or won't to do. We have more kids than ever leaving uni with degree education that think (and rightly so) that they are better, this leaves a gap in the labour market and a shortage of skills.. Brick layers for example. We don't need any immigrant policies, just fill the jobs from school leavers who aren't of a degree standard so there's not the opportunities available. We've been led to believe this idiocy that everyone should be of a degree level.

Why is it England that has such a high proportion of immigrants taking low level jobs?

Man of Honour
Final warning

Any further derogatory comments towards leave or remain voters will be issued a suspension. If you cannot discuss this like adults you will not be treated as such.

I know this is emotive, but please stop generalising, making sweeping and derisory remarks to the opposite of your convictions. It isn't right or fair.

These threads are moving so fast we cannot spot all the comments so RTM them or get in touch with us. People should be able to share their views and discuss things in a respectful manner from both sides of the fence.

This is your final warning.

Associate
I do completely agree that there are those who believe there are some jobs beneath them, and also that there are those who won't take jobs in order to prevent a loss of benefits.
To suggest that those groups are the majority of working class people shows either a level of naivety or condescension that is frankly a bit shocking. Moreso given that such people have seen wage stagnation, or recession (in real terms), for much of the last decade or longer.

As others have said I can't blame those coming to this country to help achieve a better life, if you could travel to another country and earn almost twice what you would at home wouldn't you? The blame lies with the government for not keeping up with infrastructure to support such increases in population, but equally with unfettered freedom of movement how can you really?

The biggest shock for me was the cries to have democracy removed from the people, because a decision (granted a very big one) went against them, with no thought as to implications for such in the future if they got their way. History has shown us that getting rights and freedoms is a lot harder than having them taken away.
The anger and upset I understand but the level of bile and hatred emerging is something I thought we were better than, and it has saddened me a bit.
The racism and xenophobia, whilst abhorrent, has always been here it's just getting a light shone on it now for the media's benefit, though hopefully this will push it back into people's minds that whilst great strides have been taken to combat it much more is left to do.

Associate
The only two people who voted out I have heard from both said their reason was for their children to get a house?!

They seemed to think the vote out would free up housing by sending people away.
It's certainly brought out the nasty side to people.

Soldato
The media will have a lot to answer for if this whole thing goes **** up. They have slowly but surely induced the mindless masses into an almost euphoric state of xenophobia and this whole EU thing is just one end result of that.

Soldato
i agree that the media are really stoking this up - everybody needs to calm down and figure out a way out of this - without recriminations, without insults, without belittling people or opinions.

Soldato
Soldato
I think the thing I'm most surprised about, is that people are surprised that there is widespread anti immigrant sentiment. You can't bombard a nation with these ideas though the national papers for a large span of time and expect it not to have an impact.

Soldato
So France and Germany have decided, but what about the other member states?
Don't think they care that much.

Hollande just said this

“It is now the responsibility of France and Germany to take the initiative, because we have shown that from unhappiness, horror and war, we [two] were able to forge a strong friendship,”

http://www.expatica.com/fr/news/France-Germany-should-take-lead-after-Brexit-Hollande_712011.html
http://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-06-27/the-u-k-doesn-t-have-a-brexit-plan-but-the-eu-does
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-germany-france-idUSKCN0ZC0BQ
https://www.rt.com/news/348615-france-germany-eu-reform/
http://www.polskieradio.pl/5/3/Arty...ejskie-superpanstwo-zamiast-Unii-Europejskiej

Loads more in there, European Asylum Agency, Common Taxation, FRONTEX to have control of all borders in the EU with new multi national EU Border and Coastguard

Ayrault and Steinmeier singled out three areas in which France and Germany would pursue a joint course of action: Security, a common border and immigration policy, and a fiscal union for euro area nations.

The document talks of giving the EU an ability to plan and conduct military operations through a "permanent civil-military chain of command." A standing EU maritime force and "EU-owned capabilities in other key areas" are proposed, as well as an EU intelligence-sharing framework.

Translation said:
The main assumptions of the document:
• Member countries without the right to its own army and special services.
• The unification of criminal law and the tax system.
• Member without their own currency and central bank.
• Uniform visa system.
• A common foreign policy with other countries and international organizations.
• Limited role of NATO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom