How will Brexit affect you and your family personally?

Caporegime
Holiday will be more expensive.

Depends on the impact on London as a financial centre job wise; I work in accountancy and was aiming to move into Private Equity or the like but if they shut up shop and move... so will I.

not sure why that would be impacted much - it is more sell side firms that would want a greater presence in an EU country if we can't agree on passporting financial services.

Associate
Associate
At the moment not much difference, besides the missus being shorted a few dollars in exchange rates for a trip to the states she has to take in a few weeks.

In the long run though we'll be keeping an eye on the housing market as we have a lot of money tied up in a few other properties we have so hoping they don't plummet too much.

Soldato
Why do you sound so spiteful? Exploiting legality of nationality? Look outside, its 2016 and its a global world. Foremost, my personal and family's well-being comes first, so yes if there is a nirvana superstate of EU that would allow for better life I`d bite in a heartbeat as majority of this forum.

I looked outside and yes we voted for Brexit, spiteful? No. If the EU falls apart this will still be my home. I have no interest in hopping from nation to nation in the hope for a better life. I would like a better life here, as I really like where I live. Its my home, its where I want to live out my life. You are chasing and hopping from nation to nation in pursuit of money, its merely a means to an end to yourself. You're using your host nations and not becoming apart of them, in effect exploiting them as you look out for a new host. This is our home.

Did you personally lose anything from my family "exploiting" legality of citizenship. Our family has paid so much in taxes and barely used any public institutions such as education and healthcare. I just found it hilarious that one odd comment about us packing bags and going home made by benefit chavs fails to realize that our taxes are paying for his Stella.

Personally no, but collectively we all lose a little. Extra cars on the roads, extra housing pressure, extra planning, extra transport links, extra pressure on the employment market, lowering of wages, extra demand for goods, its just easier for government to import a work force than spend the money investing in a work local work force, them chav may have been doctors, teachers if government had invested in them.

Soldato
I don't think it will make a difference to me at all really. Yes things might cost a little more over the relatively short term, but not enough for me to remotely feel it.

Soldato
Missed this.

That person is a complete knob. The UK NEEDS immigrants, anyone who thinks otherwise isn't very well educated (if at all).

The UK never needed immigrants, what the UK needed was government that invested in its people. It was just easier to import people who other nations invested in. The only people to benefit from this was cheaper labour for business, now the people who government has overlooked have thrown a spanner into the works. The immigrants are not the problem, the problem was government. Yes I am a complete knob, how dare I not agree and be agreeable and not upset people. That's right the door mat is still at the front door. :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
I honestly don't know I don't think anyone knows.

I'm fortunate that I have dual nationality so it might prove to be useful. Fortunately any offspring we have can also get dual nationality.

I think it may affect pension and also concerned about property price and ending up in negative equity despite a good
LTV.

Job wise I think short term will be fine but thinking of moving on so it depends on how various companies react to brexit.

I don't plan on living here for the rest of my life so unsure on things but you never know.

My.concerns are more immediate I.e. 5-10 years. Been through tough times in the past and dont really fancy them again.

Soldato
You clearly have no idea what it's like to have your house raided for no reason, for family members to be dragged off on trumped up charges and to haverify no idea why you are being targeted.

I hope it doesn't happen. Or Ireland gets reunification.

There will be no reunification, if they were raiding and taking people for questioning or even charging them I would say your family members where not letting you know what they were up to or were involved with. Just saying like....

Caporegime
I work in the luxury travel industry, and our target demographic aren't going to be really impacted by this, certainly not enough to have to take staycations in the UK.

Gf works for a consultancy company for Network Rail, so also shouldn't have any issues.

House prices could fall, which would actually be beneficial to use as we are looking to buy in 2ish years.

Soldato
The promised tax hikes and spending cuts will likely hit me as I work public-sector.

The biggest change is that it will speed up my move to the US. I was going to do it over a course of 18-24 months but given the vote I'll be aiming for under 12 months. Let's see how that goes.

Soldato
The UK never needed immigrants, what the UK needed was government that invested in its people. It was just easier to import people who other nations invested in. The only people to benefit from this was cheaper labour for business, now the people who government has overlooked have thrown a spanner into the works. The immigrants are not the problem, the problem was government. Yes I am a complete knob, how dare I not agree and be agreeable and not upset people. That's right the door mat is still at the front door. :rolleyes:

I disagree.

In this day and age we've bred a whole bunch of dole scroungers who would much rather sponge off of the economy rather than help contribute towards it.

Unfortunately if we only relied on British citizens to take up work and fill in the slots as and where needed, i dread to think of the state this country we'd be in. We certainly wouldn't be in the top 10 largest economies in the world.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Is that a threat?

You will be sorely missed.

How is it a threat?

We were all geared up to move to Canada two years ago, but I started a degree and my wife got two promotions, so we shelved the idea. However, with recent events, we're now looking at resurrecting the idea and emigrating once I graduate and undertaking my PhD in Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I think i'm one of the lucky ones that won't be affected directly by brexit. Probably unconsciously partly why i didn't vote, i work in a robust industry and i can literally walk into a job anywhere in this country as on a whole, there's a major shortage of quality chefs to the point that i could go agency and charge £15 / hour for my services, even as an employed chef, i earn around that now, luckily, my workplace won't be affected either so i'd say i'm pretty safe where brexit is concerned.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I think i'm one of the lucky ones that won't be affected directly by brexit. Probably unconsciously partly why i didn't vote, i work in a robust industry and i can literally walk into a job anywhere in this country as on a whole, there's a major shortage of quality chefs to the point that i could go agency and charge £15 / hour for my services, even as an employed chef, i earn around that now, luckily, my workplace won't be affected either so i'd say i'm pretty safe where brexit is concerned.

Yup, people wont stop eating out when the recession bites.

Permabanned
People claiming they wont be affected......

Possible tax hikes, affected.
Cuts to services, affected.
Price rises, affected.
Potential recession, friends and family losing work, affected(directly or indirectly).
Increase in travel costs, affected.

You may be able to comfortably absorb any costs but you will be directly affected, mainly in the pocket.

Permabanned
OP
Personally no, but collectively we all lose a little. Extra cars on the roads, extra housing pressure, extra planning, extra transport links, extra pressure on the employment market, lowering of wages, extra demand for goods, its just easier for government to import a work force than spend the money investing in a work local work force, them chav may have been doctors, teachers if government had invested in them.

I am not going to argue with you on the first paragraph you wrote as that is pointless. I respect your oppinion and our differences.

Second paragraph, this is a joke for those reasons:

- Collectively lose a little?? You throw out all foreign investment who 'add pressure' by buying houses, cars, spending money on clothes and restaraunts mind you paying 20% VAT which they rarely reclaim. By bringing outside money, strenghening Pound you would literally have UK economy go to stone age. Ridicolous point.

- Chav might be doctors? Have you ever travelled to countries like US?? UK already gave those chavs the best possible chance to become doctors. Free education, with cheap universities and even if you couldnt afford that, you could always go to another EU member state to study for next to nothing and easily transfer degree back. I suggest you go to US and try to become doctor by paying 250 000 in tuition fees alone with government loans covering barely any of that. Slap on healthcare costs and barely any assistance from the government and you're royally bummed out. Moreover, public education is a total joke here compared to UK and yet people still make it!! The chavs already got every single opportunity to do well yet they sat their ass on bloody sofa drinking their Stella.

So much opportunity has been given to them compared to the rest of the world, how much more do they need!? Not being able to compete with poor migrants who barely got any benefits from their governments is just a sign of being a total slob. They failed to make use of education to completely be in different work league to migrants and then they failed to be as hard working and commited as those immigrants. This is some bloody communism trying to protect these blood suckers of society if not Fascist since only reasoning behind it is because they're British.

Last edited:
Associate
My company supplies software to the constuction industry, so it's going to be squeeky bum time to see how the sector reacts.

Also we're part of a Canadian company, so reported profits are affected if the £ takes a dive :(

Back
Top Bottom