• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SAPPHIRE RX 480 NITRO NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER AT OVERCLOCKERS UK (WORLD FIRST) !!!

Associate
Do you think the 1060 will be released before 480 AIB? If we still don't have any Nitro's would it be possible to cancel the preorder and buy a 1060 instead?

1060 aib are released tommorrow at 2pm,no one has a clue when the 480 aib will be in stock.

Im sure you can change your order to a 1060,reviews should be out tommorow.

Soldato
Well then difference in thinking i guess, IMO this retrospective sort of thinking will not regain them their lost market share.

Part of that momentum is price for performance, people are not going to take notice of you if that price for performance is the same as it is for the older gen but cuz that older gen was more expensive a year ago.

The older Gen up until a little before launch was still way more in $ and most still are. Just looked on a few big U.S. sites and the majority of gtx970's are above $300. I even found a few R9 380x going for more than the Rx480. This is why they are flying out the door. The price/performance is good.

Caporegime
The older Gen up until a little before launch was still way more in $ and most still are. Just looked on a few big U.S. sites and the majority of gtx970's are above $300. I even found a few R9 380x going for more than the Rx480. This is why they are flying out the door. The price/performance is good.

Yes you keep repeating the launch pricing of those cards, my opinion remains that what cards were priced at 2 years ago is not relevant to the price they are on the day.

Associate
it reminds me of people trying to sell 2nd hand 980's on ebay for £350 today because they cost £500 at launch 2 years ago..as if the launch price has any bearing on todays prices.

Soldato
Yes you keep repeating the launch pricing of those cards, my opinion remains that what cards were priced at 2 years ago is not relevant to the price they are on the day.

This is not launch pricing this is now. Go take a look. You will find the cheapest gtx970's going for around $270 but a lot of them are still over $300. I repeat this is now and so is the 380x. Have a look at some pricing in $ on the 380x.

Associate
Tomorrow there will be lots of reviews out for the 1060 comparing the card to the 480, like the guru2s review.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/futuremark-3dmark-timespy-benchmark-review,1.html

This has the 480 level with thr 980, but they would have used the reference 480 with its crap heatsink, and it may have problems with thermal throttling.
It would be much better for AMD if non-reference cards were available. The middle of August may be too late, the damage will have been done.

Soldato
I just looked.

Gigabyte WF OC GTX 970: $250
RX 480 Reference 8GB $240
RX 480 Reference 4GB $200

So the RX480 is still cheaper than the best deal you could find. I never said you couldn't find the odd deal but the majority of the gtx970's are well over that $250.

Last edited:
Associate
Making a card with around 390 performance for around £200 was always going to be an easy target.

AMD do need to build momentum, they will never do it by coming up with cards that are while good in their own right still very mediocre in the wider scheme of things.

They made a card which it has been obvious for a long time was going to compete directly with the 1060 at a similar price and performance.

The fact is AMD need to be thinking a lot bolder than that, to get that momentum they need to be thinking their cards as the obvious choice, significantly greater performance at a lower price.

It feels like they thought "the 970 did well didn't it? lets do that, literally that and stick 8GB on it"

No, the competition does not stand still.

This strategy is their best chance at that considering their financial position. Focus on a segment of the market, expand and progressively move forward. You cannot build momentum with 'hail mary' attempts at high cost and low return. Initially targeting and competing strongly in a specific segment of a market is far better than trying to compete in all segments and performing poorly in each with massive r&d expenditure. You are far more likely to have a positive reception with a strong solid track record. Just look at Nvidia.

Whatever bold thinking AMD need to be doing will have had to occur at the latest around 2-3 years ago to be coming to fruition now. We know they had a reorganisation, directional changes and streamlining of expenditure including R&D in that time frame. A sustainable strategy would naturally need to be decided before the development of any particular product that is derived from it, and able to be adhered to for far longer than any resultant products 'to market' time frame. Whether they made the right series of choices remains to be seen but these threads should be coming together for 2016/17 and in the short term they are at the mercy of already made decisions.

As for the 970 replication that would require them to see 970 sales in Q1 2015, and only then decide on die configuration and have silicon out by Q4 2015 (their closed press events) which is stretching it. Fact is they would always have needed a part around that performance target regardless of whether they decided (at the appropriate time during product development) to take a risky gamble designing a larger die for earlier in 2016/14nm.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This strategy is their best chance at that considering their financial position. Focus on a segment of the market, expand and progressively move forward. You cannot build momentum with 'hail mary' attempts at high cost and low return. Initially targeting and competing strongly in a specific segment of a market is far better than trying to compete in all segments and performing poorly in each with massive r&d expenditure. You are far more likely to have a positive reception with a strong solid track record. Just look at Nvidia.

Whatever bold thinking AMD need to be doing will have had to occur at the latest around 2-3 years ago to be coming to fruition now. We know they had a reorganisation, directional changes and streamlining of expenditure including R&D in that time frame. A sustainable strategy would naturally need to be decided before the development of any particular product that is derived from it, and able to be adhered to for far longer than any resultant products 'to market' time frame. Whether they made the right series of choices remains to be seen but these threads should be coming together for 2016/17 and in the short term they are at the mercy of already made decisions.

As for the 970 replication that would require them to see 970 sales in Q1 2016, and only then decide on die configuration and have silicon out by Q4 2016 (their closed press events) which is stretching it. They would always have needed a part around that performance target regardless of whether they decided (at the appropriate time during product development) to take a risky gamble designing a larger die for earlier in 2016.

The card its self had potential, the architecture is good but let down by its low clocks.

AMD are pretty much in last chance salon, if this is the best they can do it does not bode well for them, predictably the 1060 is about to launch and the RX 480 IMO is not enough to combat it which means sales of them are going to low from here on out anyway.
it was never going to be enough.

Soldato
Of course it's relevant. The only reason the prices of the 970's and 390's and whatnot are so low right now is *because* of the new cards.

Back when the 970 came out, you could find 780Ti's for £300. That didn't make the 970 a pointless product though, right? Because the 780Ti wouldn't have cost £300 if the 970 didn't exist.

Soldato
The card its self had potential, the architecture is good but let down by its low clocks.

AMD are pretty much in last chance salon, if this is the best they can do it does not bode well for them, predictably the 1060 is about to launch and the RX 480 IMO is not enough to combat it which means sales of them are going to low from here on out anyway.

Yeah? tell that to AMD and the partners who are having to manufacturer more ref models due to the overwhelming demand for them which more than beat expectations...

Dont believe me? Gibbo posted this himself, fairly sure he if anybody knows the situation.

Hence the delay on the AIB Custom cards, they have obviously had to put them on hold to fulfill back orders for the Reference model, in essence the 480 is now a victim of its own success.

Now if the reference sold that well, i can only imagine ho well the custom cards are going to sell for, yes AMD will lose some sales to impatient customers who will just buy Nvidia, but i bet there are equally as many if not more who are holding out for the 480 customs regardless.

Overall, despite this small bump in the road, id say the 480 has been a success, the non issue with power was fixed, and most people buying custom either dont care about heat and noise, or knew and didnt care. Those that do are holding out for Custom or something else from another competitor.

Caporegime
Yeah? tell that to AMD and the partners who are having to manufacturer more ref models due to the overwhelming demand for them which more than beat expectations...

Dont believe me? Gibbo posted this himself, fairly sure he if anybody knows the situation.

Hence the delay on the AIB Custom cards, they have obviously had to put them on hold to fulfill back orders for the Reference model, in essence the 480 is now a victim of its own success.

Now if the reference sold that well, i can only imagine ho well the custom cards are going to sell for, yes AMD will lose some sales to impatient customers who will just buy Nvidia, but i bet there are equally as many if not more who are holding out for the 480 customs regardless.

Overall, despite this small bump in the road, id say the 480 has been a success, the non issue with power was fixed, and most people buying custom either dont care about heat and noise, or knew and didnt care. Those that do are holding out for Custom or something else from another competitor.

The 1060 is about to launch, lets see how it holds up from here on out, and then what AMD's market share looks like in about 3 or 4 months.

Caporegime

Weren't loads of people on here giving Nvidia just as hard a time for not being able to keep up demand though and saying that it was a fail and they had bad yields or some noise?

it looks like all the recent cards released by both vendors have been victims of their own success.

In fact you yourself seemed to be criticising Nvidia for exactly the same thing happening to them

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29607060&postcount=1493

Last edited:
Soldato
The 1060 is about to launch, lets see how it holds up from here on out, and then what AMD's market share looks like in about 3 or 4 months.

I am so glad I managed not to impulse buy. The 480 is a good card and a nice upgrade from my 380, but with the AIB 480's and the 1060 coming out it really expands the options.

From the paper launch of the 480 to the release of AIB Sapphire has just been nuts time wise. If Nvidia do a paper launch of the 1060, if the reviews - if they are out at that point - are 'close' to 480 then I may just get an AIB 480 and be done with it.

Associate

I agree, but in this metaphor the saloon doesn't close for a few years! It will be their products landing throughout in 2016/17 as a whole which will determine their future. I am not too concerned whether the RX480 is edged out by the 1060 for eg, it wont determine the outcome or effectiveness of their strategy severely, although the lost revenue from cards they might have otherwise sold would be unfortunate.

Back
Top Bottom