Housing crisis solutions

Soldato
No, someone said I should go to the very very bottom of the ladder or the sake of it. What I was saying is I'm not the only one being forced there. Why should I and others be forsaken with that for the sake of others being glutinous and then the bottom prices going up due to demand also.

I worded my initial reply lazily because of writing on a phone.

There's always going to be a bottom of the ladder and there are always going to be people for whom that's all they can afford to start with. In this instance you're in that group* - consider yourself lucky, there are plenty of people out there who are single, earning less than you, who can't even afford the bottom of the ladder, and realistically never will be able to.

* Incidentally, given your household income of £50k, I don't think you're anywhere near the bottom of the ladder, perhaps consider finding somewhere cheaper to rent, £900/month is a bit on the high side

Caporegime
I take massive offense to the solution of this problem cause by others, being me having to work harder and earn more. Like because I'm not an entrepreneur, I should be ashamed.

Not at all. You just can't expect to get a lovely house straight off the bat unfortunately ( unless you are very rich).

Your household income would indicate you have more than enough to buy your own fairly decent first home though.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

It's not starting at the bottom of the ladder hats the problem, it's the way the bottom rung has been risen to above your head.

My parents started with a two up, two down mid terrace. My first house was a three bed semi with a dbl garage.

Are you sure the bottom rung has moved up?

Soldato
OP
Why not buy one of those then :confused:

This sounds like less of a crisis and more of a "we can't afford the dream home we really want"

Because I'm offering a solution to excessive greed. Like my previous analogy if the rich bought all the food and sold it back to you at huge prices would you appreciate someone saying why don't you eat mud, surely that's cheap. There are homes here available but they get bought at inflated prices by those with more than 2 or 3 homes that they remortgage and rent out.

Soldato
OP
Should the average family salary not be able to buy the average house?

You'd think so. That is my point but I'm going to bale out of my own thread as I think people agree that I should earn more and pay the excessive prices rather than moan about them.
I will try harder.

Soldato
Why not buy one of those then :confused:

This sounds like less of a crisis and more of a "we can't afford the dream home we really want"

As well intentioned as these posts are, would you really be happy stumping up 150k to live in an ex Council flat?

I can sympathise with him, I think he's still Southampton based and it has become ludicrously expensive in the last five years. Stuff flies off the sale market too, only to reappear a month or two later with a letting sign. BTLers are hoovering up anything halfway worth living in.

All I can suggest is look at outskirts places like Eastleigh as you get a decent bit more for your money but you aren't a million miles away from the city really.

Caporegime
You'd think so. That is my point but I'm going to bale out of my own thread as I think people agree that I should earn more and pay the excessive prices rather than moan about them.
I will try harder.

No we think you should get on the ladder ( which you quite clearly can) which will enable you to put the money you spend on renting into your own pocket so you can then afford the home you really want in the future.

Soldato
There's always going to be a bottom of the ladder and there are always going to be people for whom that's all they can afford to start with. In this instance you're in that group* - consider yourself lucky, there are plenty of people out there who are single, earning less than you, who can't even afford the bottom of the ladder, and realistically never will be able to.

* Incidentally, given your household income of £50k, I don't think you're anywhere near the bottom of the ladder, perhaps consider finding somewhere cheaper to rent, £900/month is a bit on the high side

This is my point. Rent somewhere cheaper (yes that means smaller, yes it means not as nice as you want, where you want) save up that deposit. Make sacrifices. Get on the ladder. Or dont. But with a 50k joint income its wholly achievable.

Caporegime
I don't know anyone in my family who's first home was a nice big family house. Everyone started with a one or two bedroom flat and moved on from there.

That doesn't answer the question though. I'm well aware most people haven't been in that situation, what i'm saying though is logically, shouldn't that be the case?

Caporegime
As well intentioned as these posts are, would you really be happy stumping up 150k to live in an ex Council flat?

I can sympathise with him, I think he's still Southampton based and it has become ludicrously expensive in the last five years.

All I can suggest is look at outskirts places like Eastleigh as you get a decent bit more for your money but you aren't a million miles away from the city really.

I agree the property market is less than ideal and i'm not overly happy about how much my modest little place cost, but at the same time i hear a lot of people of my generation moaning about property prices and not being able to get on the ladder when they actually earn the same if not more than me.

A lot of people i know just love to moan about it and continue to rent whilst either not saving (****ing money up the wall) or not be willing to buy anything other than a 3 bedroom detached house with a big garden.

Soldato
Should the average family salary not be able to buy the average house?

It's not that simple though, the "average" salary varies wildly by location, as does the desirability of living in that location, e.g. how many people want to live by the coast in Cornwall compared to the average salary down there?

Man of Honour

I can sympathise with him, I think he's still Southampton based and it has become ludicrously expensive in the last five years.

Problem is the problem is creeping outwards - hence why I think saying move is short sighted - though a fair distance I'm in the same general area of the country as Southampton and this used to be where people moved to from like Southampton and Bristol, etc. due to stuff like that but now its catching up here.

Soldato
OP
T
No we think you should get on the ladder ( which you quite clearly can) which will enable you to put the money you spend on renting into your own pocket so you can then afford the home you really want in the future.

No I can't because I have to rent, not to live with the parents. With inflated rental prices, saving 10-15k is impossible. Your assuming my money goes into savings.. It doesn't, it goes into living

Caporegime
T

No I can't because I have to rent, not to live with the parents. With inflated rental prices, saving 10-15k is impossible. Your assuming my money goes into savings.. It doesn't, it goes into living

50k+ household income and 900 a month rent with no kids?

You could be saving a fair bit in all honesty (only by going on what you have told us, i apologise if you have other circumstances or outgoings that could affect things)

Soldato
And you cant rent cheaper ?

Probably not significantly, without house sharing in a hovel.

Even student accommodation is nuts pricing here, I think I heard the other day that Southampton is now the third most expensive place to go to uni in the UK.

Soldato
Move elsewhere.

Can buy a three bed semi with good transport links, access to the national parks and beach near me for 120k.

Some of us do have family that we don't really want to move away from i.e older parents that will need/do need help. Housing is a massive issue right now and there isn't a one answer fixes all, we can't keep building on all the land in the UK because of flooding and farming.

Back
Top Bottom