• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Pascal Titan-X Launch

Soldato
Well that doesn't look to good for the 1080Ti does it.

Unless they drop prices across the board and slot the Ti into the current 1080 price segment, I can't see many people bothering with them.

Which is rather annoying as I was going to replace my two 970's with a 1080Ti, but extrapolating performance from this Titan, it looks like it will hardly be worth it.

Permabanned
What an utterly tragic state of affairs the PC gpu market is in that we can have a card 24-29% faster than the midrange, probably crippled fp64, cores disabled and it costs $1200. Sad times indeed

+1,

As someone else said we need a Hail Mary.

It'd be nice if AMD did something faster than a 1080 and very close to a Titan XP and sold it for a max of 600, That'd knock the wind out of these money grabbing gits, If they do I'll bite.

I swore I'd never go above the £440 I spent on my Fury but it seems I may not have a choice so when I do it'll be something I'll keep well beyond 2 to 3 years. It's all becoming too expensive.

Last edited:
Associate
I'll wait for the Ultra HD gaming benchmarks, this is where the card should shine with a lot more memory bandwidth and ROPs than the 1080. I don't play Firestrike ;)

OcUK Staff
Well that doesn't include ocuk as gibbo says they aren't stocking them. All that means is that system builders can buy them to include in their builds. Doubt very much they will be allowed to sell them as discreet cards.

Can only be sold as part of a full system and the system should be flagship based and designed for professional use and deep learning, of course nothing to say stop 8 Pack from building a system with 2, 3 or 4 of these in a Supernova and charging £20,000 for it.

But as of right now OcUK won't be stocking or offering this part in systems.

Soldato
I had the budget for one of these, but have spent it on a new custom loop instead. I'll be fitting a block on my 980ti today and keeping my eyes peeled for a second reference pcb 980ti in the MM (although at 3440*1440 the single card is still awesome).

I thought I'd be waiting it out for the 1080ti but it looks like I'll have no interest there either.

Soldato
Yep, it's gonna be a whole 8fps faster in 4K :)
GPU's have been slowly crawling towards 4k for a while now. Yes, a 10% performance improvement at the top end may only mean another 5-6fps at this resolution in a modern, demanding game, but if that plus another 10% finally puts the card in a position to comfortably play it at 4k/60fps, then it means we're finally there.

Soldato
GPU's have been slowly crawling towards 4k for a while now. Yes, a 10% performance improvement at the top end may only mean another 5-6fps at this resolution in a modern, demanding game, but if that plus another 10% finally puts the card in a position to comfortably play it at 4k/60fps, then it means we're finally there.

Yea, spend £1200 for that 5-6fps... Or just move the shadow distance slider from Ultra to Very High. :p

Soldato
It's the higher minimums that 4K users are after really, keep it above that 'choppy' zone :)

The TX will be good for 4k due to the memory bandwidth and rops... but anything else, it is probably not worth it, hell at less than 30% faster than a 1080 for double the MSRP its really not a good deal full stop.

Ebay your maxwell TX or 980ti and get a 1080, decent upgrade for not too much, ebay and get TX and it is not remotely good value... but people will still get them anyway because those people don't really care about value or depreciation clearly.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The TX will be good for 4k due to the memory bandwidth and rops... but anything else, it is probably not worth it, hell at less than 30% faster than a 1080 for double the MSRP its really not a good deal full stop.

Ebay your maxwell TX or 980ti and get a 1080, decent upgrade for not too much, ebay and get TX and it is not remotely good value... but people will still get them anyway because those people don't really care about value or depreciation clearly.

Agreed. People were complaining about the £200 needed to upgrade from a 980ti to a 1080 for a 20% gain.

Now, if the tx doesnt clock to 1080 speeds, you can spend another £600 for a 13% gain.

Personally, despite its issues, i think would rather have two 1080s.

Associate
Given the performance estimates I would think it would be better to go 1080 SLI. Most of the time you'll get massively better performance and even with poor scaling titles it'll probably still be better imo.

Back
Top Bottom