Are Kolink PSU any good?

Soldato
Been reading what little information there is about Kolink and their PSUs. Much of the available information is currently in German, but what I'm reading seems reasonable. Budget, certainly. But not "going to set your house on fire" awful; they're using basically the same components as budget models from big brands, but undercutting the prices by £5-£10.

Their website is currently under construction:

http://kolink.hu

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Lads, I'm planning to buy this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kolink-kl-700-700w-80-plus-bronze-power-supply-ca-02b-kk.html

Now I'm on a budget and this seems such a good price and is also 80+ bronze. Was wondering if there are any users here who have heard about this brand or even have one of these PSUs.

Looking to run a 980 TI Xtreme Classic + 3570k oc'd
?

No. There is virtually no information available on the Kolink psu's. No reviews, nothing. That put's me off straight away. That one you linked to, click the zoom on the picture that shows the wattage on the rails and you will see that psu only has 585w on the 12v rail. That is a very poor psu. Any decent modern psu should be able to deliver all or near enough all of it's power on the 12v rail. The rest of the range tells a similar story. I doubt if there is a decent internal component in any of them and by only offering a 2 year warranty they clearly have no confidence in their own products.

Would a corsair VS/CX 600W PSU suffice?

No again. The CX series are built down to a price using cheap internals and the awful VS series are even lower quality so avoid both.

The psu is argueably the single most important component in a pc and is not the place to save money. Buy a decent psu and it will last you through several upgrades. Buy a cheap one and most of the time you will end up buying something to replace it, that's if it doesn't fail first. A good 550w unit is more than enough for your pc.

Unfortunately now is a bad time to buy one from OCUK because the most commonly recommended ones are still out of stock and have been for several weeks now. Out of all the remaining instock psu's I persoanlly wouldn't go any cheaper than these:-

My basket at Overclockers UK:

The Antec Truepower Classic 550w is a Seasonic built dual rail design with 540w across them and a 5 year warranty.

The Bitfenix Whisper M 550w has only recently been released and has been getting very good reviews. It's a CWT built unit with triple 12v rails and the full 550w is available across them. Each rail powers a certain group of components. 12v1 powers the Motherboard + Peripherals, 12v2 the CPU and 12v3 the GPU. It's fully modular and has a 7 year warranty. Review here.

The EVGA GQ 650w is a semi-modular units built by FSP and has a single 12v rail of the full 650w and a 5 year warranty. Review here.

The Superflower Platinum King 550w has 546w on it's single 12v rail and a 5 year warranty.

Last edited:
Soldato
We've used the Kolink PSU's in quite a few builds now and build quality / weight etc is on par with any of the big names.

Certainly not as bad as the unknown Chinese makes and not what I'd call a 'fire starter'

Associate
OcUK Staff
Would it not be a good idea for you to send out review samples? So long as they are good units a positive review would help people have more confidence when buying, as the main hesitation people will have is the face they are relatively unknown at the moment.

Already in the process, just at this time of the year, people are more bothered about the impending Kaby Lake launch.

OcUK Staff
And for the record guys, if we didn't have faith in Kolink we wouldn't sell the brand. They have the lowest return rates of ANY brand we sell. ANY BRAND. We sell a lot, with overwhelmingly positive feedback. They do the job required of them for a price that few can match. I wouldn't use them personally but I can afford to buy a PSU by a premium manufacturer, not everyone can, or they need something to do the job without any fuss on a budget. If I needed something that's competitively priced for an older build though I wouldn't hesitate in using a Kolink PSU.

There is a market for this level of PSU and I believe Kolink are at the top of the pile compared to the vast amounts of crap that is available elsewhere. Plus, who else from these cheap brands has a 1200W Platinum unit on the market that has reviewed very well? There will be more in 2017 too.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Sorry but I have heard that all before from OCUK. They had the OCUK Huntkey psu's which were prone to failing. Some blew up or caught fire. Then they were pushing the Lepa psu's which also turned out to be awful. Until the majority of the Kolink psu's have been properly reviewed independantly (Jonnyguru preferably) I won't be recommending them to anyone. Quality doesn't come cheaply.

OcUK Staff
Sorry but I have heard that all before from OCUK. They had the OCUK Huntkey psu's which were prone to failing. Some blew up or caught fire. Then they were pushing the Lepa psu's which also turned out to be awful. Until the majority of the Kolink psu's have been properly reviewed independantly (Jonnyguru preferably) I won't be recommending them to anyone. Quality doesn't come cheaply.

I'm sure we'll live without your recommendations till then. P.S. I wasn't here with the first two.

Soldato

Don't forget the Rajintek Trition's killing stuff too :D

Back
Top Bottom