Survive The Forest

Soldato
I love all the moaning, the game is in Alpha, you should never have bought the damn thing.

No drama. Just saying that I'm not going to burn a £200 card out on a £6.50 game...

And I have EVGA precision running but I have found there is a bug that if say i set 50% fan speed the temps seem to match it (And i don't care for MSI Afterburner tbh). Works great on every single game i have except this on auto fan speeds.

My GPU runs at 70-80 in almost all games as I refuse to use Vsync. Still going strong and I've had it years.

Associate
I love all the moaning, the game is in Alpha, you should never have bought the damn thing.

No moaning from me. Just an opinion. Also yes I am more than aware it is in Alpha. :confused:

My GPU runs at 70-80 in almost all games as I refuse to use Vsync. Still going strong and I've had it years.

I always have "Adaptive Vsync" on. So 60fps constantly. There is really no need for anything more on my 60Hz monitor/s.

Associate
This is one of the examples for other devs how to release alpha builds.

Regular updates (even with a timer on the mainmenu towards next update) and quite hefty ones every time.

Soldato
No moaning from me. Just an opinion. Also yes I am more than aware it is in Alpha. :confused:

I always have "Adaptive Vsync" on. So 60fps constantly. There is really no need for anything more on my 60Hz monitor/s.

The moaning thing was more people comlaiming about a lack of content. I don't use Vsync as even Adaptive seems to cause some stuttering and drops in FPS, even though the moment I disable it I get well over 100 FPS, this is with almost all games. Not sure why but.

Man of Honour
The moaning thing was more people comlaiming about a lack of content.

I wouldn't even say that, it's the lack of content when finished. As you can see slots that you can't build and frankly there's very little build content to come, unless they rejig it all.

Associate
Thanks, now I'm bored. There's not a lot to build. Got plenty of fish, found the spear and a fishing spot. So that's food sorted. Other than just building walls and stuff for the sake off it(found the modern axe on the boat as well), there's not much to do.
How do you craft? And is there anything worth crafting?
Can you kill turtles. So many walking around my house.

Check out some videos on youtube and the wiki page for crafting. There's a lot to do now in the Alpha - exploring mainly (i.e. find the dead passengers and caves). I guarantee you won't survive for long once you start exploring the caves etc.

Crafting items is very easy to do once you have the right components (finding them without being chased is hard!)

Permabanned
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-forest-updates-to-unity-5/

Unity 5 update

v0.16 - The Forest Unity 5 update!
16 APRIL - DISHMINK
Hey Everyone,

Wow this was a big one! This patch switches The Forest over to Unity 5. Replacing all the old shaders with new PBR materials and textures. We also went and replaced almost all our tree models, implemented a new billboarding system, and put in a first version of our new ocean shader.

Plant shaders now have sub surface scattering, our skin shaders have been rewritten, and many other visual tweaks and improvements have been made to the look of the world, we’re really excited to hear what you think.

For multiplayer we’ve introduced a new network prioritization algorithm to provide more relevant updates of remote entities to players. This means smoother multiplayer gameplay and although the lag isn't completely removed, we’re confident we can continue to tune in the coming weeks.

Some new graphics options should help those with slower computers get the game running faster, including a new level of detail setting which will allow you to raise or lower the view distance of most elements from Ultra all the way down to Ultra low. Across the board everyone should see some performance improvements.

Sick of dying in a cave and having no idea how you got there? We added a drag away by cannibals system! You’ll now see yourself carried off through world.

New bendable grass means you can see it part slightly as rabbits run through it, making them easier to track.

Some major animal improvements mean geese can now fly from lake to lake, and if you like you can follow them and watch how they spend their days. Plus, Deer now no longer run headfirst into trees!

Player audio has been partially implemented, along with a new take on the female skinny audio.

Due to the massive re-working of some of the environment and terrain we’ve had to wipe save games this patch!

Btw: Sorry we’re late today! We had a last minute game breaking bug that felt impossible to solve .

As always, please continue to post your bug reports and feedback in the Discussions area of the Community Hub

Version 0.16 Changelog:
New options menu setting ‘Render Type’ will allow you to switch between new deferred renderer(recommended for modern computers) and Legacy renderer (recommended for older computers)
Full pbr shaders on all items. Reworked most textures to fit new lighting.
Reflection probes added.
New ocean shader (work in progress)
Better bow aiming - sight added to bow. bow tracks better with camera view when aiming up and down. Looks better now when viewed by another player
Animals will now attempt to dodge trees, obstacles and other animals
Fixed rebreather’s air resetting to 0 after loading a saved game
(Multiplayer) Reworked the network prioritization algorithm to provide more relevant updates of remote entities to players (Smoother, less jittery enemies)
Upgrade balance: Inverted bonus curve, it now goes from small (10%) to big (100%)
Fixed booze upgrades still not showing up for some weapons
Added a small outline to chat text to make it visible in bright lighting conditions
Fixed issue preventing to lock floors/roofs on multiple walls on the same height level
Grabber system now turned off when in in inventory/book/pause menu or while placing a building (ie, placing a building near water will no longer trigger drinking)
New snapping grid gizmo to help with manual placing of experimental floors & roofs (tip shows the current lock position and is big enough to be seen from either side of a wall)
Experimental Roofs now snap back to closest edge on current support (ie the wall you’re putting it on)
Goose simulator added. Geese will now fly between lakes and swim around acting like geese
Fixed Bon Fire not lightable
Fixed flying food on rock fire pit
Fixed burn lizard scale
Added generic meat burnt
Fixed drying generic meat
Fixed Treehouse + Treehouse Chalet floor not buildable
Deer will now drink at lakes
Fixed issue where deer would run right through trees!
Dead birds now have a chance of spawning feathers when hit
Revamped cooking to allow eating burnt food but with far lesser gain
Player will now see himself briefly dragged away into a cave when knocked out but not killed.
New art added: Improved airline foodcart
Fixed bug where climbing rope for first time would sometimes cause it to release right after climbing
New trees! New bark and leaf types.
New billboard system with lit billboards and rotation
Unity 5 reflection probe system added
New clouds/sky
All shaders switched to use new unity pbr
Dirtied up and improved regular enemy textures
New pbr skin shader!
In game controls remapping, both in Title & Main scene options
Falling particle leaves now accumulate on ground
Fixed logs flying up into air when trees were cut
Fixed physics on some trees not colliding with terrain when falling
New art added: dead small trunk
Graphics options: added rendering patch selection
Graphics options: added new setting to turn off sunshine occlusion
Graphics options: added new setting to tune Level of Detail
Graphics options: SSAO setting now also changes sample count
Graphics Settings now properly show the saved preset name after restarting the game
Graphics Settings: Renamed “Laptop” level to “Ultra Low”
Fixed survival book entries not clickable on occasion
New art added: new version of plane food! plane tray, styrofoam cups and trays
New bushes- replaced 2 of the worst looking bushes with new type
New lake shader added! reflective and with murkiness
New dead trees! Better textures and models, and now all cuttable!
Better shark ragdoll
Jump animation added to player
New combat move - Flying axe attack. Attack downwards with axe while jumping to perform a powerful ground chop.
When falling from high up, player will briefly stumble to his hands and knees
You can now cook arms and legs (and … eat them - but you probably shouldnt)
Dead trees replaced and now cuttable!
New log type for buildings that matches carried log
(audio) New player sounds!
(audio) New female skinny audio!
New blueberry bushes!
New multiplayer octree based priority calculation
New art: Re-done plane seats
Fish and sharks are now also in multiplayer games!
Touch bending grass added! enemies, rabbits, animals and player will now slightly rustle the grass as they move through it (this is a first pass at this, next version will include better bending)
You can now climb fishing stands
Experimental Walls now block AIs (mutant & animals) from going through it
Fixed fire particles staying up after cutting down a burning tree
New world art: cliff wall variations.
Lighter now stays equipped when exiting/entering ropes
Added some additional optimizations and memory tweaks for 32bit machines that have less than 4gigs of usable ram
Fixed molotov fire never shutting down

Last edited:
Associate
No drama. Just saying that I'm not going to burn a £200 card out on a £6.50 game...

And I have EVGA precision running but I have found there is a bug that if say i set 50% fan speed the temps seem to match it (And i don't care for MSI Afterburner tbh). Works great on every single game i have except this on auto fan speeds.

That made me laugh so hard. I don't know if its the image of the card catching on fire and burning out, or the fact you disable auto fan control then worry about temps ! lol

Soldato
Hi there fellow The Forest players. Some kind sir found the original thread for me so I will post in here (keep it bookmarked).

I won't repost all of my other videos but if you want to see what the game is like now, me and the wife are playing it through.

Here is the first day

Our latest one is..

Will do an update on our progress later but a spoiler
We found mutant baby canabals!

Soldato
After watching the videos above I think I might take the plunge. I like the crafting system. Looks good also.

Can you team up on this or is it local multilayer only?

You can play online with buddies. Makes it a lot faster to build your ultra base. I did some spelunking tonight having completely forgotten how to play. Found myself hanging upsidedown in a cave fairly quickly.

Back
Top Bottom