How To Build A Gaming PC For Beginners-- Console Price, Superior Performance

Associate
Surely you've just highlighted why people buy a console? Realistically a new PC user is going to need Windows. Even without its still almost twice the cost. Don't see the point here.

I wonder how this would run AAA games at the same graphical level as a PS4 and at what frames. Console development is not just about cpu and gpu speeds but getting the most out of and using tricks on a fixed architecture.

Soldato
Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

Awaits the console crowd to visit.

Permabanned
Surely you've just highlighted why people buy a console? Realistically a new PC user is going to need Windows. Even without its still almost twice the cost. Don't see the point here.

I wonder how this would run AAA games at the same graphical level as a PS4 and at what frames. Console development is not just about cpu and gpu speeds but getting the most out of and using tricks on a fixed architecture.

y0 dawg maybe ppl who buy p0tat0 mashers are students and get discounted M$ licences or buy OEM keys for the cheap on dat Auction siyt.

talking bout p0tat0s 'ave you seen the youtube series??

https://www.youtube.com/user/jermgaming

Soldato
Don't see the point here.

Clearly. He's even mentioned in the OP that yes, the upfront cost is higher (although twice the cost is quite the exaggeration).

However 10 games down the line, the PC will work out cheaper.

Also, how many households have a console and don't have a PC/laptop of some kind?

You're not going to be checking your emails, doing your homework, etc. on a console, and even the cheapest laptop is ~£150, take into account you can use the same PC for all of that, and the price difference is even lower

Last edited:
Associate
That's a surprisingly good spec for the money.

You didn't include a screen

I've never tried to play games on my Tv, but I'm pretty sure a proper screen would be needed for a pc.

I mainly play pc games for the mouse and keyboard now.
Were I happy with the console controls I might put up with worse graphics and lower Fps.

Associate
Clearly. He's even mentioned in the OP that yes, the upfront cost is higher (although twice the cost is quite the exaggeration).

Also, how many households have a console and don't have a PC/laptop of some kind?

You're not going to be checking your emails, doing your homework, etc. on a console, and even the cheapest laptop is ~£150, take into account you can use the same PC for all of that, and the price difference is even lower

£450 against £250 is hardly any exaggeration at all, that's minus Windows.

People buying a console just want to plug it in and go. They are not interested in email (although you can check emails on them through a browser), homework nor putting all the bits together and hoping it all works first time.

This is a sales thread and that's fine, it's their forum. PC Gaming is vastly superior in so many ways for me but the premise here is silly. Consoles generally still hold the same advantages for some people that they always have.

Associate
OP

Originally Posted by B1gbeard View Post
Don't see the point here.

-Thanks Haggisman.

As mentioned, upfront cost is higher. but games almost half the price. No online fees. And most importantly this is build cost. What console platform holders pay to build their systems is different from what the consumers pay, which is what this build is based upon.

Also, fixed architecture? How has that fixed architecture worked out so far when you consider the fact that consoles are no longer built from custom hardware that takes years to understand in order to get the full potential from them, when they're essentially budget gaming PCs which are underpowered, which developers know how to get the most from right away, which also are being outpaced by lower-speced graphics cards such as the gtx 750ti?

As mentioned in the post, they're bottlenecked by their processors, no longer will that low-level hardware access apply to them. Especially when developers have learned how to do the exact same thing on the PC thanks to DX12 & Vulkan. And looking to back cards such as the gtx750ti which is under speced, which runs on DX11 - a high-level API - manages to outpace low-level api consoles (which it shouldn't be able to do) - since, consoles theoretically should be able to push twice the performance on the same hardware. No, just no. Console hardware advantages are gone. That died with the Xbox 360. - These consoles here: underpowered, high priced, and now, because of 4K TVs and the gigantic shift of more consoles gamers moving to PC, have been forced to release "Improved versions" of the current consoles, which are also underpowered, failing to keep up with PCs.

Associate
OP
£450 against £250 is hardly any exaggeration at all, that's minus Windows.

People buying a console just want to plug it in and go. They are not interested in email (although you can check emails on them through a browser), homework nor putting all the bits together and hoping it all works first time.

This is a sales thread and that's fine, it's their forum. PC Gaming is vastly superior in so many ways for me but the premise here is silly. Consoles generally still hold the same advantages for some people that they always have.
Plug it in and go? Ha ha, that's a good one. Those patches huh? firmware updates, failed framerate targets which can't even hit 30fps?

If the game is busted day one on pc, the community is there and you can atleast lower visual settings to get the game runnning.

Consoles? You best hope that developer has a patch ready in the next few days.

Soldato
I think games being considerably cheaper (Humble Bundles and key sites etc) and free online game play is a huge plus for PC gaming. Steam and other platforms also have lots of decent free games too (DirtyBomb etc).

Associate
Plug it in and go? Ha ha, that's a good one. Those patches huh? firmware updates, failed framerate targets which can't even hit 30fps?

If the game is busted day one on pc, the community is there and you can atleast lower visual settings to get the game runnning.

Consoles? You best hope that developer has a patch ready in the next few days.

I think your point of view is equally laughable. Expecting someone who just wants a game box to pay more to buy bits, put it together, hope they don't damage something, install an OS and all the relevant drivers etc and hope it all works. As opposed to just buying a console. You could do it for them of course but how much do you charge for a PC delivered ready to go?

I love PC gaming but what you are suggesting is just daft sorry and you haven't really debunked any of the myths (I wished you had!!). :)

Associate
y0 dawg maybe ppl who buy p0tat0 mashers are students and get discounted M$ licences or buy OEM keys for the cheap on dat Auction siyt.

talking bout p0tat0s 'ave you seen the youtube series??

https://www.youtube.com/user/jermgaming

That BF1 video was really interesting but he still had to build the PC, install OS and drivers etc etc. Shame you could never build a PC here for that cost to do the same.

Associate
OP
I think your point of view is equally laughable. Expecting someone who just wants a game box to pay more to buy bits, put it together, hope they don't damage something, install an OS and all the relevant drivers etc and hope it all works. As opposed to just buying a console. You could do it for them of course but how much do you charge for a PC delivered ready to go?

I love PC gaming but what you are suggesting is just daft sorry and you haven't really debunked any of the myths (I wished you had!!). :)
This post isn't some religious conversion technique. There are people out their who are curious & need advice & such on the pc platform & how & where to get started, this is for them, as noted by the forum members who thought kindly of the post. It isn't a pc vs console post. It's simply an informative, knowledgeable, dialled down summary of how the two platforms work and why the PC has more benefits.

Maybe you play on console, maybe you play pc, maybe you're against both, maybe you love 'em, that 's your choice. Maybe there are some advantages for as to why people stick to console, but as evident - this is not what this post is about. If you don't wish to add anything positive to this post, as many already have, then I do have to ask, what do you bring?

Your views on pricing are clearly put to rest in the article. Every aspect of price has been mentioned including additional OS fees which again still prove the pc to be a better option in terms of BOMB cost. As a PC gamer I'd encourage you to encourage those who do see the benefits in this post to also advice them and perhaps lay tips. That's the premise of this post. And as someone who plays & owns every console since 1992 as well as a PC, I've seen the technological changes and trends that the platforms have been through, with each scenario still placing the PC as the superior option for longevity, cheaper pricing, far more games, better looking games.

This may seem bias but it's worth keeping in mind that the focus here is PC hardware. The chance of anyone in this forum writing a post as to why "xbox one is the better gaming pc" has as much possibility as a Cow walking to into McDonalds and ordering a BigMac with fries.

Back
Top Bottom