Which tyres?

• Thread starter SamuraiTortoise
  • Start date

SamuraiTortoise

S

SamuraiTortoise

I have a 2009 Triumph Daytona 675 and I've been running Michelin Pilot Road 2's on it ever since getting as this is what it had on it when I bought it and I've always liked them but these are obviously older tyres as to what else in on the market.

I'm just about to put new front and rear tyres on and I'm wondering what the best options are to go for?

I commute 60 miles a day, every day in whatever weather this country has to throw at me. I ride a real mix of country lanes, a-roads and dual carriage way every day on my commute and I do like to ride fast but due to being a commute I do tend to square off the tyres long before the tread gets too low.

So with variable weather and a real mix of roads I'm wondering what my options are...

I'm thinking I will go with the newer Michelin tyres, which would be the Pilot Road 4's as I'm accustomed to Michelin but am I missing a trick?

A friend has just gone with some Dunlops (not sure which) as he wanted a hard tyre to eliminate squaring as much as he could but he doesn't commute every day and rides in dry only conditions.

I know Bridgestone and Metzeler get good reviews but unsure which I should go for. Any suggestions before I just go with the Pilot Road 4's?

SamuraiTortoise

S

SamuraiTortoise

OP
I'm definitely edging towards the PR4's at the moment having read some reviews. They state they have 20% better wear then the PR3's so probably a lot better then the PR2's I've been running.

SamuraiTortoise

S

SamuraiTortoise

OP
I've decided on the PR4's, just waiting to hear back on when I can get them fitted and how much. They do seem to get well reviewed with regards to longevity and wet performance. I'll go for these and then maybe next set try something else like the M7RR's next time.

Cheers

Soldato
Angel GT or PR4.

I have the Angels on my Speed Triple & PR4 on my Hornet. Both very good. Have slipped on both (nothing bad), but then that was just down to cold tyres and very slippy roads :p

SamuraiTortoise

S

SamuraiTortoise

OP
Getting my PR4's fitted on Thursday morning...can't wait to lose the feelings of a square rear. Last rear has only lasted since it was fitted in September...the front has done two rears but I'm down to 1mm off the blocks so with the impending weather will be happy to have new rubber. Will be nice to have a little confidence back having felt the bike moving around under me a lot more than I like.

SamuraiTortoise

S

SamuraiTortoise

OP
Have to say the the PR4's are great and I'm glad I went for these (not that I have anything other than PR2's to compare against). I've had a few very wet rides into work this week and the grip is outstanding. They have a lot more of a tread pattern on them compared to the PR2's I've been used to, which I don't like the look off as much but they certainly seem to be performing well. Very happy I have these on the bike for the worst months of winter. I also fitted some new front brake pads and cleaned up the calipers and it's stopping really well with the new front tyre and pad combo.

Soldato
The Pierelli DRCs are great in the dry but pretty naff in the wet. If I go through another tyre change I think I might try the Roadtec 01s, they get some good write ups.

Before that however I was going to try GTs, PR4s, M7RRs and S21s so no doubt I will change my mind again :o

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I tried to spin rear today in 2nd and couldn't do it, that's with the Angel GT. But they don't provide much feedback in the wet, so just be careful. My michellins provided more feedback in the wet, but i had to sacrifice grip in the dry. :/

Soldato
I tried to spin rear today in 2nd and couldn't do it, that's with the Angel GT. But they don't provide much feedback in the wet, so just be careful. My michellins provided more feedback in the wet, but i had to sacrifice grip in the dry. :/

If you're slipping in the dry you're doing something seriously wrong or you're a riding god

Back
Top Bottom