Police pull motorist for driving too slowly

Associate
YES.

Please do this everywhere because sometimes it actually presents quite a danger when coming round a blind bend. While the argument can be said to slow down on a blind bend, that doesn't stop the person coming up behind me not realising I am at the back of the traffic queue the other side and ploughing into the back of me.

Happened to me while I was a passenger.

Soldato
Good sensible advice. I'm always pulling people over for going too slowly. The thing is, these people are often the ones who have no spatial awareness, no awareness of what is going on around them, bad eyesight, poor car control and are prone to making rash decisions.

I'm awaiting Brake.org comments on this criticising the police for persecuting careful drivers and not doing enough to eradicate the blight of the younger driver.

Soldato
driving slow is bad for 3 reasons

1) causing lots of overtaking increasing the chance of a crash
2) unless the person is trying to make a point there is probably something wrong with them and they would be better of being taken out of the gene pool
3) idiots that cannot control their speed are likely to just run into the back of them (technically not the slow drivers fault I know)

Soldato
If you drive very slowly, while there being no excuse ( i have had to once or twice with car problems ) then it just screams "no confidence" to me.

Some people have zero speed awareness, the ones who REALLY annoy me at the 40 everywhere that isnt a motorway brigade. :rolleyes:

Few weeks back i was driving back home from ocuk and there is a nice stretch of NSL road on the road from stoke to congleton. I was behind a car doing 45 ( fair enough there were lots of bends ) and when we came onto a nice long stretch of nice wide road, dry conditions great visibility and no oncoming traffic for what looked to be a good 3/4 of a mile i did a safe over take. Now i drive an ST220 so its no slouch overtaking, i indicated overtook and indicated back in and left him plenty of room... at least 5 car lengths before i pulled back in. Classic safe overtake.... and i was rewarded with flashing beams and beeping of the horn for the next mile or so kid you not!. No idea if it was a nutter, a crusty, a frustrated rep in a diesel-slow car being jealous.... god knows what got into his/her bonnet. Its not like i was tail gating when ragged past at 90 in a cloud of smoke and fumes and cut them up!

Some people are just not meant to be on the road in charge of a car.

Last edited:
Soldato
We've spoken about this a bit in work as we live and work in a rural location so lots of NSL roads and lots of idiots doing 35 of them regardless of anything, incredibly frustrating especially when we're in the works van trying to get somewhere in the middle of the day which is when most of them seem to be out in force.

I'd like to know what gear they get into, cos in some cars i've owned i coulnd't go that slowly in 5th or 6th gear so are they always trundling around in 4th or something?

Soldato
Its not the 30 or 40 brigade are that annoying, slow enough to safely and easily overtake.

Its the 55 in a 60 drivers are the worst, you got nearly all the way why cant you commit to the next 5mph?

I'd be more concerned with folk doing it on motorways and dual carrigeways, if you arent directly overtaking someone whilst doing the allowed speed limit you have no business in the right lane

Soldato
About time! I get fed up of sitting behind the constant stream of "35-40 in a 60" brigade every day on my commute. I've been tempted many a time to make up signs to go below the national speed limit sign saying "This means 60mph!" in big letters :)

Just a shame this is unlikely to be a trend nationwide :(

Soldato
Its not the 30 or 40 brigade are that annoying, slow enough to safely and easily overtake.

Its the 55 in a 60 drivers are the worst, you got nearly all the way why cant you commit to the next 5mph?

I'd be more concerned with folk doing it on motorways and dual carrigeways, if you arent directly overtaking someone whilst doing the allowed speed limit you have no business in the right lane

I have no issue with the ones who do 55..anything above 50 and I'm absolutely happy to sit behind them, but 50 and below is just too slow.

Soldato
About time! I get fed up of sitting behind the constant stream of "35-40 in a 60" brigade every day on my commute. I've been tempted many a time to make up signs to go below the national speed limit sign saying "This means 60mph!" in big letters :)

Just a shame this is unlikely to be a trend nationwide :(

*waits patiently for the it's a limit not a target crowd*

one of the issues I notice is often during peak times it was either people who lived in towns along the route, or who were just out for a drive, who had no sense of urgency.

thing is, when their town is 1/4 the distance that's fine for them, but when you've got to deal with quadruple the distance it grates somewhat, especially when you're only after your tea and a relaxing sit down after work.

its a shame, it got to the point i kinda stopped liking my car (nice as it is and should be) not because it's not a nice motor but because every time i was in it was stuck in the rat race.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Doing 40 in a 60 is usually fine because you can overtake, well, if the area is good for it.

It's when they do around 50 though, so you can't overtake reliably without speeding so it's a choice of two wrongs. Frustrating.

Soldato
I don't mind people going slightly below the speed limit but when they sit doing 45 in a NSL and then as you go to overtake suddenly it's become a race are the ones who make my blood boil.

Back
Top Bottom