Police pull motorist for driving too slowly

Soldato
Doesn't bother me. If you can't see round a blind bend you slow down so that isn't an argument. Wait behind until it's safe to overtake.

Soldato
I don't mind people going slightly below the speed limit but when they sit doing 45 in a NSL and then as you go to overtake suddenly it's become a race are the ones who make my blood boil.

your car's not fast enough :p

on a serious note, i totally agree, had a mondeo man type pull that on me coming up to a merge in turn: he had a big gap in front, i went to pull in and he was suddenly up the backside of the car in front forcing me to go for the next gap along which i'd originally not opted for because there wasn't enough road left. gave me a look of death too....

one of those days you wish you were a traffic cop

daz

daz

Soldato
There is a dangerous bit of road near me - the A355 between Beaconsfield and Amersham that seems to suffer from this. You get a mixture of people driving too fast for the conditions and then people trundling along encouraging others to make bad overtaking decisions. 6 people have died in the last 2 years along a stretch of road ~5 miles long. :(

Soldato
I don't have a problem with 50 in a 60 as this is what most goods vehicles are limited to, so it's usually 55 on the speedo anyway. There needs to be a clampdown on the 42 everywhere drivers, especially on slip roads and junctions using merge in turn (I would say 30 zones too, but most of the 30 zones here used to be 40 a few years ago).

Soldato
I was stuck behind a (I honestly think drunk) driver doing 20 in a 60 last year, police came up behind and pulled me because they felt my radar cruise was following him too closely (at 20) for a 60 road >.>

Soldato
Face this daily, to and from work on the a322 from Ascot joining the a30, at Wentworth golf course, its a great stretch of road, goes from 50 to national, yet almost daily I'm behind someone doing 30-35 the whole way up to the traffic lights. I once joined a line of slow moving traffic on this road, its quite narrow so I assumed it was a cyclist and places to overtake are few and far between but nope, just some idiot doing 25!!!

Its the ones that tap the brakes every few seconds that really annoy me!.

Soldato
Doing 40 in a 60 is usually fine because you can overtake, well, if the area is good for it.

It's when they do around 50 though, so you can't overtake reliably without speeding so it's a choice of two wrongs. Frustrating.

My commute (all 3 miles of it) is a combo of NSL with no overtaking and single track road, so once you're stuck behind a slow coach that's it :mad:

I was stuck behind an old bird in a Jazz doing between 25 and 30mph on the NSL stretch the other day..then when we reached the single track she slowed to 10-15mph! I really struggled to keep my cool! People with that little confidence should not be allowed on the road.

Soldato
My commute (all 3 miles of it) is a combo of NSL with no overtaking and single track road, so once you're stuck behind a slow coach that's it :mad:

I was stuck behind an old bird in a Jazz doing between 25 and 30mph on the NSL stretch the other day..then when we reached the single track she slowed to 10-15mph! I really struggled to keep my cool! People with that little confidence should not be allowed on the road.

It really is a 'Honda Jazz' thing.

"do you drive like an idiot? Completely oblivious to other road users? Pull out in front of other cars then proceed to drive 30mph under the speed limit? Then you might be entitled to purchase a new Jazz!!"

Soldato
When i drive to the other half a house it's a mix of nsl and 50, never made the journey yet at the advertised limit. Road is perfectly safe unless it's icy and it's a huge problem 1) because it encourages me to consider risky overtakes, even though i don't do them and 2) makes me wonder about the guy behind who is constantly dipping in and out trying to make an even riskier 2 car overtake! The journey normally takes and hour but has taken me up to 1.30 thanks to slow drivers. Mrs said best she has had was a clear run to me in 40 mins without speeding.

Soldato
Ah Kent, home of the utterly moronic "must do 35-40 on a NSL" drivers with absolutely zero awareness of anything that isn't a mobile phone two inches from their face and what's worse is that, because it's quite busy, there's rarely an overtaking opportunity regardless of how fast I can go.

I genuinely believe there should be road safety awareness videos made by the Government and shown around soap opera times just to remind people that may have forgotten how to bloody drive!

Associate
Lots of these roads around me, and I echo some of the comments, I can't enjoy it going to/heading home from work. Its not like I want to speed, I just want to do within 5-10mph of the limit and I'll be happy.

Then you get the morons that want to do 60 on a single country lane while its wet in the dark :rolleyes: if I wanted to do 60, I would but its not safe...

Associate
If you are not capable of driving over 35mph then I question if you should have a license at all.

My grandfather drove until he was into his 90's
When he turned 80 he wanted to buy a caterham but insurance was too expensive.
He didn't drive fast in built up areas but would speed in nsl.

I'm more worried by people who tailgate me when there is ice on the road. I had to stop to let a 4x4 overtake on Monday morning as I had to slow down to less then 30 in some places, mx5 and ice isn't fun. Being blinded by the fool in the car behind makes it even less fun.

Soldato
Ah Kent, home of the utterly moronic "must do 35-40 on a NSL" drivers with absolutely zero awareness of anything that isn't a mobile phone two inches from their face and what's worse is that, because it's quite busy, there's rarely an overtaking opportunity regardless of how fast I can go.

I genuinely believe there should be road safety awareness videos made by the Government and shown around soap opera times just to remind people that may have forgotten how to bloody drive!

My 16 mile commute is full of 40-50mph drivers on wide open NSL roads, how hard is it to do that few mph extra?

Luckily I commute by bike so any decent gap and I'm past them, if a car is sitting at 60mph on a 60mph NSL road I'll happily sit a decent distance behind, no need to overtake. If they're doing 50 or less though I'm past them at the first opportunity.

If you are not capable of driving over 35mph then I question if you should have a license at all.

My grandfather drove until he was into his 90's
When he turned 80 he wanted to buy a caterham but insurance was too expensive.
He didn't drive fast in built up areas but would speed in nsl.

I'm more worried by people who tailgate me when there is ice on the road. I had to stop to let a 4x4 overtake on Monday morning as I had to slow down to less then 30 in some places, mx5 and ice isn't fun. Being blinded by the fool in the car behind makes it even less fun.

Good man! :D Tailgaters... grrr. :mad: on a motorbike, when it's 0 degrees and there could be black ice anywhere, there's a reason I'm doing 25mph on a downhill bend in a 30 zone. But Bob in his 2016 hyundai has to be 10ft from my rear wheel just to be at the next queue of cars 2 seconds earlier... A lot of car drivers don't realise how dangerous tailgating a bike is, if we come off for any reason (people pulling out, ice etc.) they're probably not going to have time to stop before they run straight over us as we're sliding down the road. :mad:

It's always in a 30/40mph zone too, I religiously stick to the limit in these, but there'll always be someone up my arse, who at the next NSL sign will disappear into my mirrors as they sit at 40mph while I accelerate up to the NSL (above it too sometimes, but only when it's clear/dry roads etc - you can go a little faster in a NSL zone without taking much risk, 30's and 40's I never speed).

Soldato
I could moan all day about 40 everywhere brigade but they will in turn say I'm a dick for overtaking six cars and hitting north of 100 to get on my way. Usually the case here after I catch a line of cars behind a coach or lorry. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.4...4!1sRmLYFMtMrLfCF2NSibmdxQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Don't have to do that drive a few times a week now but when I did the best one I had was following an A6 estate that just sat about 70 indicated everywhere, pushed on a bit on some parts for my liking but must have been a local.

The other was when a police car pulled in front of me and my two fellow 'make progress' drivers, again we sat at or over 60mph all the way to Oban.(minus 30mph zones, DO NOT speed in Taynuilt. 47 in a 30 points :( ) Consistent, safe, no panic braking and just pretty bloody relaxing.

Associate
I could moan all day about 40 everywhere brigade but they will in turn say I'm a dick for overtaking six cars and hitting north of 100 to get on my way. Usually the case here after I catch a line of cars behind a coach or lorry. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.4...4!1sRmLYFMtMrLfCF2NSibmdxQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Don't have to do that drive a few times a week now but when I did the best one I had was following an A6 estate that just sat about 70 indicated everywhere, pushed on a bit on some parts for my liking but must have been a local.

The other was when a police car pulled in front of me and my two fellow 'make progress' drivers, again we sat at or over 60mph all the way to Oban.(minus 30mph zones, DO NOT speed in Taynuilt. 47 in a 30 points :( ) Consistent, safe, no panic braking and just pretty bloody relaxing.

I'm always worried that the numptys at the front of the queue will pull into the side of me as I went past. Do I trust them to check their mirrors? Will they randomly overtake half way down that straight? Driving past with full beam and the horn blearing makes me feel like too much of a d##k.

Soldato
I'm always worried that the numptys at the front of the queue will pull into the side of me as I went past. Do I trust them to check their mirrors? Will they randomly overtake half way down that straight? Driving past with full beam and the horn blearing makes me feel like too much of a d##k.

Had it happen a few times but I just keep my foot in and move over slightly.

I leave my indicator on for longer ones and that's about it.

Soldato
Good.
People need reminding that slower is not always safer. It would be nice if this happened more often. No doubt BRAKE will be up in arms about this?

Last edited:
Soldato
The most dangerous thing is people joining motorways / dual carriageways at too slow a speed.

You can see the artics slamming on the anchors as even the gap they left isn't enough.

Back
Top Bottom