Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Caporegime
semi-pro waster;30469993 said:
Well done on the weight loss, if you can get to a running shop then that's great but if DW offer gait analysis then that's probably better than nothing. Hope you manage to find some suitable clothing as well, it does make things that bit more comfortable.

Good running to set a new PB. Hope you enjoy the run on Sunday.

Funny how it works out isn't it but you're probably right that a bit of a break (even if enforced) can help.

That's one goal ticked off today, 19:44 at Parkrun despite rain at the start giving a rather wet and somewhat muddy course. Lots of kids around as well since one of the local clubs seems to have decided their juniors should run there today, quite a few were really quick. I guess I'll need to reset my 5k goal now and aim for a bit closer to 19:30 before the end of the year.

Good job on the 10K.

if you get a sub 1:30 half then your Marathon time should be around 3:15 or less. I got 3:13 with an estimated HM of around 1:31 in a time trial. Back of the hand calculations - double HM and add 10 minutes for moderately aggressive, 15 for balanced,20 for safe. Marathon times will depend on training, e.g. sufficient volume and decent LRs. Plus execution need to be very good slightly too fast at the start might mean walking the finish.

Soldato
I've been unable to run for a couple of weeks due to breaking my wrist but thought I'd give it a go tonight anyway.

Tried to run at 180spm with the metronome but it was too fast. It felt like I was just jogging on the spot… 172spm was easy (before the wrist break) so I'll try 175 next time and see how I get on.

Caporegime
Irish_Tom;30484551 said:
I've been unable to run for a couple of weeks due to breaking my wrist but thought I'd give it a go tonight anyway.

Tried to run at 180spm with the metronome but it was too fast. It felt like I was just jogging on the spot… 172spm was easy (before the wrist break) so I'll try 175 next time and see how I get on.

Running an easy pace at 180SPM can feel odd, that is when you know you are doing ti right because the steps are small and light enough that the impact forces are minimized.

I find a big variance in feeling just based on how tired my legs are. During main training block with tied legs then 180SPM at easy pace feels OK. IF the legs are very fresh, e.g. after tapering then 180spm at easy pace feels weird, but marathon pace feels good.

Soldato
Little update as I'm closing in on 1 year since starting running.

I managed my furthest distance the weekend before last....15miles
Aiming for 18miles this weekend

I'm doing my first Marathon in April, that I'm feeling positive about.

Have a good weekend all of you.

Soldato
D.P.;30488463 said:
Running an easy pace at 180SPM can feel odd, that is when you know you are doing ti right because the steps are small and light enough that the impact forces are minimized.

I find a big variance in feeling just based on how tired my legs are. During main training block with tied legs then 180SPM at easy pace feels OK. IF the legs are very fresh, e.g. after tapering then 180spm at easy pace feels weird, but marathon pace feels good.

Thanks DP, I'll keep at it, I'm sure I just need practice.

Caporegime
Don't get too hung up on the cadence, its not super critical . the running form itself is a little more important but even then its not like heal striking is infinitely worse etc.

One trick is to also try running up a hill or TM on an incline. You will naturally have to have a higher cadence with shorter steps, just try and keep that same movement on the flat.

Man of Honour
So, took a week off due to pain at the front of my knee. Spent the time on rehab and hip strengthening. Going back to it this week and though the start of the week seemed ok I went out just now and had to stop 1 mile in. Rather annoying :/

I've contacted the sports physio I visited last time I had a niggling issue so hopefully I can get it looked at properly asap but still, doesn't bode well for running the Manchester marathon in April. I'm pretty annoyed.

Soldato
D.P.;30491692 said:
Don't get too hung up on the cadence, its not super critical . the running form itself is a little more important but even then its not like heal striking is infinitely worse etc.

One trick is to also try running up a hill or TM on an incline. You will naturally have to have a higher cadence with shorter steps, just try and keep that same movement on the flat.

Thanks DP. Also, nice pace on the 22 miler! :eek:

FrenchTart;30493359 said:
So, took a week off due to pain at the front of my knee. Spent the time on rehab and hip strengthening. Going back to it this week and though the start of the week seemed ok I went out just now and had to stop 1 mile in. Rather annoying :/

I've contacted the sports physio I visited last time I had a niggling issue so hopefully I can get it looked at properly asap but still, doesn't bode well for running the Manchester marathon in April. I'm pretty annoyed.

Ouch! Doesn't sound good - fingers crossed you get it sorted.

Associate
Didn't run last weekend thanks to a stonking hangover, wasn't out this weekend thanks to snow and other poor choices, need to get back out on the streets. Tricky when it's dark in the evenings, might find a well-lit pavement route and stick to that...

Man of Honour
toasteh;30498310 said:
Didn't run last weekend thanks to a stonking hangover, wasn't out this weekend thanks to snow and other poor choices, need to get back out on the streets. Tricky when it's dark in the evenings, might find a well-lit pavement route and stick to that...

Or a headtorch or a Decathlon Run Light and you can look like a slightly squint Iron Man. I got the latter recently and used it last night, it was pretty comfortable over about 10 miles and while I'm mostly on lit pavements it does provide decent illumination and means that cars etc will notice you while running.

Last XC run of the league season on Saturday, on the day we were missing quite a few of our top runners so came 8th out of 9 teams but the team finished safely in 4th place overall so we stay in D2 for another year which was the main goal.

Soldato
Starting to get a bit of pain on my shins, worried I'm going to get shin splints or something.

I've done 40% more miles this year than last year by Feb 14, but I am starting from what I'd hope is a far stronger base. Still, it's definitely taking its toll and I don't want to get injured 8 weeks out from my marathon.

Associate
New shoe time perhaps?

I've been a total shambles so far this year. Will not be doing Reading 1/2 this year as I've been so unfocused the last 3 months which is a shame as it's a perfect course and time of year to get that PB. Going to get back to training this week and then try and eye up a race for about 10 weeks time, maybe find some 10k races in between.

Associate
Been reading this inspirational thread since the middle of January and as a sedentary 47-year-old who sits in front of a computer all day at work, I finally got off my backside last night and did something about it. Day 1 of Week 1 of 'Couch to 5K' completed - although I won't embarrass myself by revealing what pace I was 'running' at :redface:. I'm not going to lie - having no stamina whatsoever I was flagging a bit towards the end, but it felt great afterwards, almost euphoric ... hoping to get quite addicted to that feeling! Must be all that fresh air ...

No stiffness or aches and pains this morning - being so sedentary, I expected to be walking like Robocop - so I obviously got my warm-up/warm-down sufficient. Now I've proved to myself I can do it (which, with something totally beyond your comfort zone, is often the biggest hurdle), really looking forward to getting out again tomorrow night.

I'm about a ten-minute drive away from the Cambridge branch of Advance Performance, so I went along there on Saturday and had a gait analysis carried out - surprised to find I was considered neutral. The advice to get decent shoes - which was a universal recommendation wherever I read about beginning running - is totally true. I came away from AP with a pair of Saucyon Ride 9's - hellishly expensive (just adds to my motivation :p) but incredibly comfortable and like running on springs compared to my beaten-up everyday Nikes.

I know it's good to have a goal, but at the moment I'm happy running as an aid to general health and just to see what I'm capable of - as I hinted earlier, my biggest battle is with my own mindset ...

Associate
Been reading this inspirational thread since the middle of January and as a sedentary 47-year-old who sits in front of a computer all day at work, I finally got off my backside last night and did something about it. Day 1 of Week 1 of 'Couch to 5K' completed - although I won't embarrass myself by revealing what pace I was 'running' at :redface:. I'm not going to lie - having no stamina whatsoever I was flagging a bit towards the end, but it felt great afterwards, almost euphoric ... hoping to get quite addicted to that feeling! Must be all that fresh air ...

No stiffness or aches and pains this morning - being so sedentary, I expected to be walking like Robocop - so I obviously got my warm-up/warm-down sufficient. Now I've proved to myself I can do it (which, with something totally beyond your comfort zone, is often the biggest hurdle), really looking forward to getting out again tomorrow night.

I'm about a ten-minute drive away from the Cambridge branch of Advance Performance, so I went along there on Saturday and had a gait analysis carried out - surprised to find I was considered neutral. The advice to get decent shoes - which was a universal recommendation wherever I read about beginning running - is totally true. I came away from AP with a pair of Saucyon Ride 9's - hellishly expensive (just adds to my motivation :p) but incredibly comfortable and like running on springs compared to my beaten-up everyday Nikes.

I know it's good to have a goal, but at the moment I'm happy running as an aid to general health and just to see what I'm capable of - as I hinted earlier, my biggest battle is with my own mindset ...

Well Done. Shoes can seem expensive, a lot of R&D goes into them. Remember running is cheaper than most other hobbies. It'll seem like hell at first but at somepoint it'll click and you'll start to enjoy it. This is normally after you;'ve achived something you've been working towards, for example 5km without stopping. Then you start wanting to see how fast or far you can go.

Associate
This particular pair of shoes has done 420mi but I'm never sure when you should retire them. Physically they appear fine!
My last pair of asics I got to about 400 and bought a new pair identical pair as they were on offer, was planning on going to 500 on them. Tested the new shoes and and instantly ditched the old, was quite shocking the difference to be honest.

My suggestion, as you're in the 400-500 bracket I see most folks talk about, is get a pair soon and test them to see if it helps. If it doesn't at least you know something else is going on.

Back
Top Bottom