Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
With the new Fenix5 watch on the horizon, does anyone know where I'd be able to see one in the flesh before buying? concerned about the size for my pixie wrists...

Man of Honour
With the new Fenix5 watch on the horizon, does anyone know where I'd be able to see one in the flesh before buying? concerned about the size for my pixie wrists...

From a very quick look it appears they might be released on 1st April so you'll probably not have much luck in shops before then, I'd start looking in some of the running chain stores about then. It does appear that there's a 5S model which is designed for smaller wrists so that might be what you need.

Associate
Took yesterday off due to the wind, it's slowly coming back I think...at least I feel more confident than after Monday's run.

5 miles on a hilly route @ 8:19/mi, 163bpm. Will likely rest tomorrow and try for 8-10 miler on Sunday.

Man of Honour
My 2017 Goals will be:

5:30 - mile (preferably faster)
19:45 5k (Crystal Palace Parkrun) - 19:30 on a flatter course probably
sub 40:00 10k
sub 1:30:00 half marathon
3:25:00 marathon (just entered Edinburgh again, Mcmillan reckons a sub 3:15:00 is possible based on my 5km times but that's probably a bit ambitious at the moment)

2nd goal of the year ticked off, did the Bois de Boulogne parkrun this weekend and managed it in 19:03 on what was a pretty flat course. If I'd realised how close I was to breaking 19 minutes I might have tried to find an extra few seconds from somewhere. Still 40 odd seconds faster on a flat course that I'd never run before is something I'm pretty happy with. Two weeks until my half marathon so time for a bit more training but nothing too strenuous at this stage.

Hope everyone else is enjoying their running at the moment.

Caporegime
2nd goal of the year ticked off, did the Bois de Boulogne parkrun this weekend and managed it in 19:03 on what was a pretty flat course. If I'd realised how close I was to breaking 19 minutes I might have tried to find an extra few seconds from somewhere. Still 40 odd seconds faster on a flat course that I'd never run before is something I'm pretty happy with. Two weeks until my half marathon so time for a bit more training but nothing too strenuous at this stage.

Hope everyone else is enjoying their running at the moment.

great job!

Caporegime
i also got a surprise PR, just laid down a 1:22:21 Half on a very tought course, lots of hills, mud, and endless 90* turns. About 700ft gain but very steep up and down, sometimes with uneven footing. on a flat course would be around 1:20 ( discussed this with some of the winners and race director)

Came 3rd in age group, but only 0.1second behind 2nd and 9s behind 1st. so close but nice to get on the podium for my medal.

Soldato
i also got a surprise PR, just laid down a 1:22:21 Half on a very tought course

Well done! How much did you knock off your previous PB?

That's me done! Ticked off my last must do PB.

What was that?

Since I've never raced a marathon before, I was wondering what people did in terms of nutrition?

For a half-marathon race I wouldn't normally require any gels or hydration since it's so short but I will need to for a full.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well done! How much did you knock off your previous PB?

Since I've never raced a marathon before, I was wondering what people did in terms of nutrition?

For a half-marathon race I wouldn't normally require any gels or hydration since it's so short but I will need to for a full.

technically about 6 minutes but I don't race often. last October I was on rack for a sub 1:25 but got a killer side stitch and I was forced to walk for a few minutes before picking back up to a slow jog but never rally got back to speed, came in at 1:28 which was still enough for 4th in AG. Strangely, my time yesterday would have been top 5 overall at my October race despite a much harder course yesterday.

For a full Marathon I start crab loading 2 days before the race. Lots of pasta, rice, fruit potatoes throughout the day, along with plenty of water. Don't get on the scales, you'll be gaining water weight. I try and wake up 3-4 before the race and start again with some basic carbs. bananas, sports drinks, white bread, Nothing with any fiber, minimal fats and proteins. Plenty of water and sports drinks, and just try to be maximally hydrated. this also involves peeing lots. I stop any eating and cut down on drinking with an hour to go, and pretty much just circle the toilet line to make sure bladder is empty. The aim os to be completely hydrated, but bladder empties in a kind of equilibrium, with glycogen stores totally topped off and blood sugar high. 5-10 minutes before the start I down an energy gel, and then I take one every 40-45 minutes. You have to take them well before you think you need them, its too late if you think you are getting tired or low on energy. Ideally you need to practice this on your long runs and find out what gels you can stomach. A lot of people get bad GI issues when running Marathon at race pace. I'm not too and but I certainly feel slightly nauseous and don;t feel like eating a gel buts its needed for a marathon. You are going to burn around 300-3500 calories, your glycogen store is about 2000-2200. You'll burn some fat but not enough to make up the difference, and once your glycogen gets low you are going to enter a world of pain in the last miles.

Hydration is tough. Until now I have always ran marathon with a hydration belt, 2x10z bottles with weak sports drink Gu Roctane. This gives some much flexibility in drinking whenever you want, having your fav sports drink, avoiding busy aid statiosn, or aid station on the wrong side of the road, or when there is someone right in front of you that takes the cup you were aiming for etc. Also, for taking gels its great just to be able to swirl some liquid in your mouth between swallowing mouth-falls (try and slowly take a gel over the course of 5 minutes so you don;t get one blob of sugar sat in your stomach, also helps the miles tick by). Also, as I get faster it gets harder and harder to drink from the paper cups without slowing down. I start choking on the water they hand out, or it goes all over my face and chest.

however, I'm now at a running pace where the hydration belt is a definite disadvantage. The extra weight might cost me 20 seconds in a Marathon, which for most people is nothing But I think I am borderline 2:55 shape. 20 seconds might matter. moreover, at >8min a mile i find the belt super comfortable and I just occasionally tighten it on my long runs. when going at under 7:00 the additional forces means it bounces around more, get loose every 10 minutes or so when the bottles are full. So I am looking for additional options but everything seems to suck. Relying on the aid stations is just so risky, I don;t like it. I don't want to be slowing down just drink - its not even about the time lost but I don't like breaking rhythm. Last November I was going to try without but in the last hour chickened out and put it on for the race and it was fine.

For your first marathon I suggest getting a hydration belt. You are also at a speed where it might be annoying, but it will be one less factor to worry about. In any case, I take my belt with me on every single long run (and in the summer anything over 13 need serious water here). useful to hold gels, phone, keys, credit card, driving license etc. Some logn runs I have popped in to a super market to get a bottle of Gatorade etc. If I end up a long way form home its nci to have a phone with me if I have to stop (exhaustion, twisted ankle, gneeal runenrs pknee pain etc).

Soldato
Yeah I'm a bit conflicted about carrying drink or using aid stations. I walked through the stations during the Ironman as that was a different race. For a pure marathon I don't want to lose speed fumbling about with a cup of water. On the other hand, running with a hydration belt would pee me off big time.

Carrying gels is a pain too, I don't want to faff about tearing them open and finding a bin to dump the wrappers.

It seems they hand out High5 gels at particular stations so I can just use those instead.

Soldato
For me, standard carb loading malarkey in the week leading up to the event. 3 hours before porridge pot and toast, hour before double espresso and a gel. then sip SiS Go until the start. Carry 3 gels (1 SiS Go +caffeine, 2 SiS GO) with me, stuffed in back pocket. The caffeine thing may all be in the mind I'll add :p

If you are on your feet 4 hours or more you need to carry additional liquid, especially if temps are up. Beware of using gels you aren't used to as they can mess you up. Hydration belts are a personal thing - but once you found one you get on with it's a least great for long training runs.

As you get quicker carrying liquid is instant fatigue!

Caporegime
Gels are easy, you can get belts to attach otherwise safety pin or pockets. Bite off the tab, slowly suck out the gel. Throw packet on ground, preferably near aid station.

If you rely on the gels handed out make sure you test them in your LRs. Also be careful that many races don't hand out any until mile 12 or so, that is way too late. Every 45 minutes from the get go.

Caporegime
I also pop caffeine pills, 300mg before the start and carry another 200mg with me for emergencies.
And that is another reason to take my own gels, a lot of the time they don't have caffeinated gels, or conversely they are caffeinated but you've just downed 400mg of caffeine pills. Taking your won gels means you don't care and can plan your own caffeine intake based on what you find works in your training.

caffeine will improve performance by 1-2% at least, and has a boost mentally. Its a legal performance enhancing drug, and if you are a regular coffee drinker you might really suffer if you are running for 3-4 hours+ without a caffeine fix.

Last edited:
Soldato
This isn't my first rodeo having done an 11 hour Ironman last July without bonking or succumbing to GI problems. My main concerns aren't so much what to take and how often but logistically how to take stuff without having to slow down or be encumbered carrying things.

The gel situation should be fine, I use High5 fairly regularly and the gel stations are at miles 5, 12, 17, 22.

If you are on your feet 4 hours or more you need to carry additional liquid

If all goes to plan I'll be done before 2:59:59! :p

Soldato
This isn't my first rodeo having done an 11 hour Ironman last July without bonking or succumbing to GI problems. My main concerns aren't so much what to take and how often but logistically how to take stuff without having to slow down or be encumbered carrying things.

The gel situation should be fine, I use High5 fairly regularly and the gel stations are at miles 5, 12, 17, 22.

If all goes to plan I'll be done before 2:59:59! :p

Rely on picking up water from the stations then. You'll be ahead of the pack and as long as you know the station is coming it shouldn't pose a problem as you wont be fighting others. Also the people manning the station should spot you coming. That said check how the water will be handed out to be sure.

Carrying half a kg or more of liquid from the off isn't very sensible in all honesty so avoid if you can - but hey ho...

Soldato

I have skinny wrists, my fenix 3 hr isn't an issue at all.
I procrastinated over the size for ages before buying, love it so much I bought my wife one too.

Soldato
Update:

New distance PB of 20miles, it was horrible...I loved it
New PB for Half Marathon 2:17.
New PB for 1mile 6:55
New PB for 5k 22:21
New PB for 10k 55:52

Looking good for my first Marathon in April

Permabanned
1.29.47 at the Anglesey Half Marathon this morning. Third fastest time at this distance, about 90 seconds or so off a pb but was an undulating course and I've not ran before yesterday for almost three weeks (been cycling and unmotivated). Really pleased with the time considering but the pain I'm in now is a wake up call I need to be increasing my mileage again and actually start running consistently again.

Back
Top Bottom