sata express=more sata connections?

Associate
OP
does using the sata express as regular sata's effect the functionality of the regular satas (ie like some m.2 slots share with particular satas) do sata express share anything with regular satas?

Associate
OP
thankyou, the few manuals iv read for my prospective purchases havent mentioned sata express/sata conflicts, its mostly sata m.2 conflicts, i wonder if thats because hardly anyone uses sata express, or there is genuinely no conflicts, i suppose its time for some emails to manufacturers and hopefully they'll answer.

thankyou for ur help.

Soldato
On the mobo's I have, yes, they can be used as 2 SATA ports for each SATA Express connector.
This should be the case on every board as it's part of the SATA-EX design/spec.

does using the sata express as regular sata's effect the functionality of the regular satas (ie like some m.2 slots share with particular satas) do sata express share anything with regular satas?
No, but obviously it limits them to SATA-3 speed instead of SATA-EX speed.

its one of those failed tech that still gets tacked on
Even though it was superseded by U.2 before it attained mainstream adaptation it's unlikely to "fail" per say, what will probably happen is that in the foreseeable future boards will come with 1-2 SATA-EX ports instead of any SATA ports (thus gaining backwards compatibility plus the ability to use SATA-EX devices (it's been reported that we may eventually see some of the mechanical "hybrid" drives become capable of connecting via SATA-EX or SATA-3).

Associate
OP
if i were to use all the sata express ports as regular sata ports this would disable the the "regular" sata ports ie on a board with six sata6gb and 3 sata express, if all sata express were populated with sata6gb hdd's all the regular sata would be disabled?

thankyou for ur help

No, but obviously it limits them to SATA-3 speed instead of SATA-EX speed.

Last edited:
Soldato
if i were to use all the sata express ports as regular sata ports this would disable the the "regular" sata ports
No, think of it like USB, if you have six USB2 ports and two USB3 ports then you can connect 8 USB2 devices. It's similar with SATA-EX, each port can connect a SATA-EX device or 1-2 SATA devices.

Associate
OP
so 2 sata express and 4 regular satas means i could connect 8 ssd's all at 6gbs (apologies for my confusion but im getting conflicting answers from different places)

Back
Top Bottom