BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

APM

APM

Associate
Which model of Asus router? I can confirm it works fine with a HG612 and Asus rt-ac68u once you change the iptv settings in the routers web interface.

Think it's a RT N-56U but could be a 66U ,has Padavan firmware on it which means I can have my guest networks set up and DNS how I like it.
Not looked at IPTV settings in there but will check that soon.

Thanks.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
They probably reseated the DLI card. Its the BT equivalent of turning your PC off/on to fix it.

Oh OK. Funnily enough we've just been dealing with Microsoft because our Azure SQL instance started failing transactions with nasty errors. They "mitigated" the problem by just rebooting the problematic node :p

APM

APM

Associate
Looking at these openreach modems and there appears to be two choices,the Huawei and the ECi.

Huawei is the Chinese equivalent of GCHQ isn't it?

Why in gawds name would you use a bit of kit built by them?

Associate
Looking at these openreach modems and there appears to be two choices,the Huawei and the ECi.
Huawei is the Chinese equivalent of GCHQ isn't it?
Why in gawds name would you use a bit of kit built by them?

You don't have to use an openreach modem. You could buy a TP-Link W9970 and run it in bridge mode as a modem. They are currently £29.99.

APM

APM

Associate
I have an Asus RT-N65U running the latest Padavan firmware but have been thinking of upgrading to a 66U recently.

Looks like I'll get an openreach modem,plug in the Asus and see what happens.

Lot more complicated than Virgin,simple plug and play operation there.

APM

APM

Associate
Thanks for that,I may need to pester you when the modem arrives though.

:p

Actually,what details are those?

Generic bt email address or something more relevant to an account?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Ah to be clear, I'm on Zen (and Plusnet before them) not BT - no details needed for the modem.

In the router you will obviously need your ISP's login details and any thing else you want to use, Google DNS for example.

Though my modem is unlocked and I can log into it too see the stats. I did turn off QoS on the modem, other than that nothing changed.

APM

APM

Associate
I like open nic dns though I am considering trying cryptostorm.

I'll have a pop at it when the modem get here,thanks for your answers though.

TJM

TJM

Associate
Thanks for that,I may need to pester you when the modem arrives though.

:p

Actually,what details are those?

Generic bt email address or something more relevant to an account?
I'm using the same hardware combo on BT. The router will need the generic username [email protected] during setup. If it insists on a password, 'password' will do. The Merlin firmware needs no other settings changed to connect.

Permabanned
This my spare test line at work. Sadly the ISDN cable route is a strange one, runs along side some AC power cables. There are some other issues with it as well we've found. Speed keeps dropping. A new cable has been order, 15m and ADSL filter as the main socket has a STD faceplate on it. The router is an TP-Link TL-WR841N and the test is over wifi. I'm about 50ft away.

APM

APM

Associate
What spe
This my spare test line at work. Sadly the ISDN cable route is a strange one, runs along side some AC power cables. There are some other issues with it as well we've found. Speed keeps dropping. A new cable has been order, 15m and ADSL filter as the main socket has a STD faceplate on it. The router is an TP-Link TL-WR841N and the test is over wifi. I'm about 50ft away.

What speeds are you supposed to be getting?

Back
Top Bottom