BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

APM

APM

Associate
How do you know what line your infinity is if you want to get an older router to use as a modem?

I understand there are two types of line and modem?

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I've had a problem for the past few weeks where my speed has been dropping considerably in the evenings and running at about 8Mb. During the day it was fine and hit max speed (~52Mb).

I just thought it was congestion but raised an issue with BT and they said there was a cabelling issue or something in the exchange. True to their word a couple of days later it was fixed and back up to full speed.

Any idea what this might have been? When they called back it was a dodgy line and I couldn't really hear them well enough to ask lots of questions.

Soldato
Still not seen my noise margin target move, currently sat at 6db :(
6db is excellent why is that a problem ? I get 56meg and I`m on 5db.

I've had a problem for the past few weeks where my speed has been dropping considerably in the evenings and running at about 8Mb. During the day it was fine and hit max speed (~52Mb).

I just thought it was congestion but raised an issue with BT and they said there was a cabelling issue or something in the exchange. True to their word a couple of days later it was fixed and back up to full speed.

Any idea what this might have been? When they called back it was a dodgy line and I couldn't really hear them well enough to ask lots of questions.

They probably reseated the DLI card. Its the BT equivalent of turning your PC off/on to fix it.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
6db is excellent why is that a problem ? I get 56meg and I`m on 5db.

Because i know my line to be stable below 6db, it is therefore very much not "excellent" for my line :p

My post is in reference to the announced DSLAM changes commencing March 17 (this month) to reduce target noise margins down to 3db.

APM

APM

Associate
Guys,

I am a new BT customer as of last Tuesday but I need to use a modem so I can get my ASUS router back up and running,can I just go to ebay and buy the first openreach modem I see or is there more to it than that?

Cheers.

Man of Honour
Guys,

I am a new BT customer as of last Tuesday but I need to use a modem so I can get my ASUS router back up and running,can I just go to ebay and buy the first openreach modem I see or is there more to it than that?

Cheers.

Yeah get an Openreach modem, should work fine. No idea about BT TV I'm afraid but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Soldato
anyone having issues tonight on BT? Had dns issues earlier which eventually cleared up now it seems a little intermittent.

Associate
On the subject of routers, what is a good alternative to the HH5 for a max price of £50? The HH5 doesn't support DNS changing on the router which is what I want. I don't mind using the HH5 connected to the 'main' router for WiFi purposes if I have to. I just don't want the HH5 setting the DNS across all devices on my network, my Raspberry Pi with Pi-Hole will be the DNS to block ads.

Would just a cheap router that supports changing DNS and then using the HH5 to connect devices to work?

Soldato
yep speed doesn't seem a problem just resolving websites seems a little slow and at time nothing, seems okish now though

Soldato
Can't you use the Pi-Hole for DHCP as well as DNS? If it will handle DHCP and the DHCP server on the HH5 can be disabled you should be good-to-go.

If you're after a VDSL capable router for £50 I think you'll struggle.

Associate
Can't you use the Pi-Hole for DHCP as well as DNS? If it will handle DHCP and the DHCP server on the HH5 can be disabled you should be good-to-go.

If you're after a VDSL capable router for £50 I think you'll struggle.

The router doesn't even have to be a good one as it will only be connected to the phone line for incoming connection and DHCP and then an Ethernet cable to the HH5 that will be set up in as a repeater that I connect all devices to. Will that work or is using Pi-Hole better and easier? I guess it saves on having to buy more devices.

maj

maj

Soldato
yep speed doesn't seem a problem just resolving websites seems a little slow and at time nothing, seems okish now though

Ah right and I see what you mean. Busy streaming a 1080p60 video full screen on YouTube and it does seem to be slow at doing so. No buffering just the grey bar isn't very far ahead of the point in the video that I'm at.

Soldato
The router doesn't even have to be a good one as it will only be connected to the phone line for incoming connection and DHCP and then an Ethernet cable to the HH5 that will be set up in as a repeater that I connect all devices to. Will that work or is using Pi-Hole better and easier? I guess it saves on having to buy more devices.
I quick Google shows that the DHCP server on the HH5 can be disabled. It also does look like there's some support for running the Pi-Hole as a DHCP server. It'll cost you nothing but a bit of time to try it.

Back
Top Bottom