Soon... Gonna start ripping my bluray collection. Pointers?

Soldato
OK, I plan to finish my dvds as well.

Best software for the ripping?

Best software for encoding?

Not concerned about disk space at the moment. Will see how large these things turn out first.

Also, am hoping to stream these on to my Sony Android tv. What's the best way to go about that? Just set up dlna or something?

Have a media pc, which is currently strictly used for the odd streaming site.

Have a mini itx file server as well.

Also, noticed the other day when was doing test dvd encode, it was going to take 2.5 hrs. Basically the length of the movie (the abyss). At the same time it wasn't taxing the cpu much (Ryzen 1700).

That was using handbrake. How do I get it to use more cpu and take less time?

Sorry, some noon questions in here, some of which I could probably answer in not too much Google time, but has been a while since I did any of this stuff

Xez

Xez

Associate
I rip my Blu-rays to raw MKV using MakeMKV which is free to use whilst in beta. Normal Blu-rays are anywhere between 20-30gb. I don't change them using handbrake as my collection isn't massive. It takes about 45 minutes to rip the disc to MKV. I know with handbrake you can choose to use GPU acceleration which should speed things up but as I haven't used it in a while I can't remember how long it took.

I use Plex to share my media which I've made available remote so I can visit friends and family and stream to my hearts content via the app or web browser. This is hosted on my HP Gen8 Microserver which is only a Pentium CPU, 4 GB ram and 5 hard drives.

Soldato
Thanks.

Hmm, straight rip at 20-30gb... Maybe up to 150 films on a 4tb?

Maybe will keep raw and do smaller encoded versions for travel.

Think I paid for plex not long ago when I was going to test... Or am I thinking of something else similar that is paid for?

Man of Honour
Don't break the law. Circumventing the BD+ or Canavia protection is still illegal in the UK. Despite the availability of RedFox AnyDVD HD and other such applications.

;)

Soldato
Don't break the law. Circumventing the BD+ or Canavia protection is still illegal in the UK. Despite the availability of RedFox AnyDVD HD and other such applications.

;)

So bizarre that one can own them but not put them into a more convenient format when we have the means to do so...

I guess I better not..........?

Associate
I ripped about 250 blu rays so they are on my Plex server. I used MakeMKV to strip out foreign audio and special features to try and reduce file sizes a bit. It has worked like a charm and only one or two files had problems. I took my laptop into work and just ripped 8 a day over a period of time, took ages but worth it.

Soldato

;)

Dont think this is the case anymore unless you start showing them for free / broadcasting them.

Just like CD's in the old days, they wont even try to prosecute as long as you have the discs and you are using it for private use.

Have nearly 700 BR's ripped now, and MakeMKV is still my favourite application (although it still struggles on a few random discs, like latter GoT series for me) but generally takes 40 mins for most rips, maybe an hour on much longer /hi def audio rips.

Man of Honour
Dont think this is the case anymore unless you start showing them for free / broadcasting them.

Just like CD's in the old days, they wont even try to prosecute as long as you have the discs and you are using it for private use.

Have nearly 700 BR's ripped now, and MakeMKV is still my favourite application (although it still struggles on a few random discs, like latter GoT series for me) but generally takes 40 mins for most rips, maybe an hour on much longer /hi def audio rips.

Sadly not. You can make a backup copy freely, just not circumvent the copy protection.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...ure-still-not-allowed-to-circumvent-drm.shtml

Soldato
Sadly not. You can make a backup copy freely, just not circumvent the copy protection.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...ure-still-not-allowed-to-circumvent-drm.shtml

Thats actually not the case, you can use it personally (might be more recent than your article in 2014)on any format you choose as long as its for personal use

You also have to think about actual practicalities....ie as long as you are only doing it for personal use , how is anyone who cares otherwise ever going to find out? Its impossible for anyone to find out unless you start trying to make money out of it / playing it publicly etc etc

How about installing games to a HDD on the Wii?

Surely thats (potentially) allowing you to play that game twice simultaneously while only buying it once.......

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thats actually not the case, you can use it personally (might be more recent than your article in 2014)on any format you choose as long as its for personal use

You also have to think about actual practicalities....ie as long as you are only doing it for personal use , how is anyone who cares otherwise ever going to find out? Its impossible for anyone to find out unless you start trying to make money out of it / playing it publicly etc etc

Apologies, I was wrong...

In July 2015 the Private Copying sections of the were quashed by the High Court, so yeah... that happened... Great for all... :rolleyes:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/quashing-of-private-copying-exception

And the Government have since given up on trying to legalise it.

https://www.out-law.com/en/articles...ent-scraps-plans-to-legalise-private-copying/

And anyway, there was always the exception saying you were not allowed to break security measures to make the copy.

Surely thats (potentially) allowing you to play that game twice simultaneously while only buying it once.......

And ripping a bluray doesn't allow the same thing? If anything you could stream the ripped copy to multiple devices simultaneously.

it might be possible but not many people are going to do it.

Most people don't know how and also you're not allowed to do it under law. ;) Selling modchips was made illegal in 2004 and was reinforced by another ruling in 2009. Not sure if that covers softmods though...

And... just noticed in the Important threads at the top, not allowed to talk about ripping here anyway. ;)

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...rules-dvd-recording-discount-evouchers.82885/

Don
Personally don't have an issue as long as discussion doesn't get specifically involved in software or where to download content rather than backing it up.

That sticky post can be safely discarded as it's from 2002/2003 - things have definitely changed since then.

Any doubts or further questions about what can/can't be discussed then please open a thread in Forum content discussion.

Thanks - Armageus

Back
Top Bottom