Oh god, ive been ebayed...

Sgarrista
Commissario
At the start of February I sold a world of warcraft loot card (spectral tiger) via ebay.

All went well, buyer seemed happy and left good feedback. Today he opens a case saying it doesn't work.

For those that dont know, loot cards are a "scratchcard" type trading card, where after scratching the metallicy scratchcard stuff off it gives a code to redeem in game for virtual items.

In my favor I have a picture of the item before it was sold with the card completely unscratched, and he has admitted to scratching it himself, he claims the card was "tampered with" to "look new"...

So now its down to the ebay lords. Fortunately I have his address, so if it doesn't get dropped, some letterbox action may be called for.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
Where on earth did you get a spectral Tiger card? Hoarding since they were discontinued?

Yea I had like 15 of them, about 30 mini tyrael cards as well, gave them away to friends / sold them over the years. With WoW at its current peak for years thought to sell before they lose all value in times to come.

Soldato
....ebay only ever sides with one person....

Factually correct I guess. They do only side with one person. The person they side with....

The insinuation though, that they only ever side with the buyer, is of course, totally, factually incorrect.

Soldato
Unlinking your Paypal account would be my first action. I actually link it to a bank account with no funds in it and no overdraft (effectively top it up prior to purchasing) as I was scammed a few years ago and lost a few hundred pounds... which threw me into overdraft, just to add salt to the wound.

I really hate Ebay, just seen and heard so many people getting ripped off on there.

Caporegime
Is it not possible to trace his email address to one of his characters? you'd be able to check the armoury. Maybe demand him to give one his character names as proof? I'm assuming Spectral Tiger achievement will show up on all of his characters. That's assuming he didn't sell it on.

Caporegime
This, I had a much stronger case than you and eBay still did their default action of side with the buyer.

This. The seller is going to lose. A picture showing it with the scratch bit intact is not evidence as Ebay will say you could have scratched it off after taking the picture etc. In fact, one time , the Ebay advisor told me the only certain evidence was a video showing the item intact and then getting wrapped up and out in a parcel with the buyers name and address on it.

OP you will lose.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
This. The seller is going to lose. A picture showing it with the scratch bit intact is not evidence as Ebay will say you could have scratched it off after taking the picture etc. In fact, one time , the Ebay advisor told me the only certain evidence was a video showing the item intact and then getting wrapped up and out in a parcel with the buyers name and address on it.

OP you will lose.

The buyer has admitted to scratching it himself fortunately.

Soldato
Yea I had like 15 of them, about 30 mini tyrael cards as well, gave them away to friends / sold them over the years. With WoW at its current peak for years thought to sell before they lose all value in times to come.

How did you get that many? Also, how much do they sell for these days?

Soldato
Surprised you sold it on Ebay of all places considering how rare / expensive they are now. Playerauctions would have been better for this type of stuff.

Why has it taken him a month to try redeeming it? Heck when I bought my spectral code back in TBC days I'd redeemed it within 10 minutes of delivery.

Soldato
The buyer has admitted to scratching it himself fortunately.
You would be surprised how little that matters.

To put this in perspective, I sold a CPU on eBay once, sent it special delivery, the buyer left feedback claiming fast delivery. Then a few weeks later he complained (via eBay messages) he couldn't get it to work (surprisingly took him a few weeks to decide this), so he asked to return it which I agreed and asked him to send it back as per eBay rules. It never arrived and when I asked he said he had sent it in a 2nd class envelope, then opened an item not received case against me, which he won, because eBay.

Soldato
You would be surprised how little that matters.

To put this in perspective, I sold a CPU on eBay once, sent it special delivery, the buyer left feedback claiming fast delivery. Then a few weeks later he complained (via eBay messages) he couldn't get it to work (surprisingly took him a few weeks to decide this), so he asked to return it which I agreed and asked him to send it back as per eBay rules. It never arrived and when I asked he said he had sent it in a 2nd class envelope, then opened an item not received case against me, which he won, because eBay.

WTF!!!!!

Soldato
As someone who is new to selling online is there a better place to sell things? I've got a collection of CDs I want to sell at some point and I don't want to get scammed on eBay. I might even try selling them on the members market thinking about it if I am allowed the sell music CDs there.

Back
Top Bottom