Oh god, ive been ebayed...

Associate
This reminds me that I have an unused WoW Original Collectors Edition and a few others (Burning Crusade , Lich King , Catalysm) somewhere .... but i will prolly never use eBay to sell anything now as there is so much that a buyer can do to scam a legitimate seller.

Associate
You would be surprised how little that matters.

To put this in perspective, I sold a CPU on eBay once, sent it special delivery, the buyer left feedback claiming fast delivery. Then a few weeks later he complained (via eBay messages) he couldn't get it to work (surprisingly took him a few weeks to decide this), so he asked to return it which I agreed and asked him to send it back as per eBay rules. It never arrived and when I asked he said he had sent it in a 2nd class envelope, then opened an item not received case against me, which he won, because eBay.

Absolutely gobsmacked at this.

Soldato
As someone who is new to selling online is there a better place to sell things? I've got a collection of CDs I want to sell at some point and I don't want to get scammed on eBay. I might even try selling them on the members market thinking about it if I am allowed the sell music CDs there.

Music magpie? Not had any issues with them when I've sold CD and DVDs before.

This reminds me that I have an unused WoW Original Collectors Edition and a few others (Burning Crusade , Lich King , Catalysm) somewhere .... but i will prolly never use eBay to sell anything now as there is so much that a buyer can do to scam a legitimate seller.

I sold all my collectors editions on Ebay last year with the codes used and had no issue with the buyer. He wanted them to sit on a shelf in his gaming room.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
do you have any more? I will buy one from you

Fraid not, this was the last one, they sold like hotcakes when I listed them up.

How did you get that many? Also, how much do they sell for these days?

The tyrael cards I was a "VIP" at WWI08 so just kept going round to the hand out desk every 30 minutes and got another :)

The tiger cards were put into specific packs for handouts for special events, I was in the right place at the right time and managed to hoover up a bunch of packs with guaranteed tigers in :)

Soldato
Terrible advice to unlink paypal account and card.

Your PP balance will go negative and they'll chase you for it just like any other company you owe money to..

Associate
The buyer has admitted to scratching it himself fortunately.

If that's the case it's just about proofing the card is legitimate and not a fake.

It's not like you can scratch the card and then unscratch it before posting, well you could I guess but chances of anyone having the equipment available to it is highly unlikely.

Soldato
I would unlink your PayPal account,ebay only ever sides with one person and it won't be you

I sold a digital Fifa 17 code late last year and the buyer asked for it to be e-mailed rather than posted (I know, going forward, to always post it).

Anyway, a couple of e-mails back and forth and then not long after he opens a claim saying that the code didn't work. Obviously a scammer, I figured I'd chalk it up to experience and suffer the loss.

PayPal did an investigation and saw that there was no foul play and rejected his claim, so I know first hand that they don't always side with the buyer. It restored a lot of confidence for me, as a regular seller on eBay.

Soldato
Music magpie? Not had any issues with them when I've sold CD and DVDs before.

Hmm. Just entered some items on Music Magpie that I know the rough value and they are offering rubbish prices. 50p for one CD and 84p for a DVD which is quite hard to find. I want to find the website they sell of the stuff they buy on because there should be some really good deals there. Thanks for the idea though.

Soldato
This. The seller is going to lose. A picture showing it with the scratch bit intact is not evidence as Ebay will say you could have scratched it off after taking the picture etc. In fact, one time , the Ebay advisor told me the only certain evidence was a video showing the item intact and then getting wrapped up and out in a parcel with the buyers name and address on it.

OP you will lose.

Even then they would say you could have opened the box and scratched it after the video ended.

Soldato
I'd usually say you've got no case because Ebay. However, last week my partner sold a dress, the seller tried it on and started a claim stating it had been stretched and therefore was misshapen, she was generally quite unpleasant and arsy and has been messaging everyday since chasing her refund. We accepted the claim to avoid the hassle but the woman's attitude narked my missus so she phoned ebay, they stated that it wasn't even a valid reason to request a return so we needn't have accepted and also advised that we not refund and then when ebay take over challenge the buyer through that process. The guy went so far as to say that even if for some reason we lost the challenge we would win on appeal, and that he'd appreciate us taking this approach as it helps to identify problem buyers.

I think she's going to avoid the hassle and just refund though, the dress came back in perfect condition so she's only lost postage.

Caporegime
Terrible advice to unlink paypal account and card.

Your PP balance will go negative and they'll chase you for it just like any other company you owe money to..

And they wont have any legal redress to get this money from you either so long as you dont mind debt collectors ringing and writing to you

Soldato
Ebay will defiantly side with the buyer.
Unless you do a video of putting item in box, wrapping, going to the post office, paying for postage and leaving, you are screwed.
Even then ebay would probably side with the buyer :p

Soldato
At the start of February I sold a world of warcraft loot card (spectral tiger) via ebay.

All went well, buyer seemed happy and left good feedback. Today he opens a case saying it doesn't work.

For those that dont know, loot cards are a "scratchcard" type trading card, where after scratching the metallicy scratchcard stuff off it gives a code to redeem in game for virtual items.

In my favor I have a picture of the item before it was sold with the card completely unscratched, and he has admitted to scratching it himself, he claims the card was "tampered with" to "look new"...

So now its down to the ebay lords. Fortunately I have his address, so if it doesn't get dropped, some letterbox action may be called for.

How much do these cards go for?

Back
Top Bottom