• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned

"Vega-based cards will outcompete even Nvidia's (NASDAQ:NVDA) most powerful graphics card for gaming, which is its Pascal-based GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X memory.

That's a bold claim.
I'd love it to be right though.

Rumour has it that the Polaris 10 refresh will hit very soon. On that note, Bethesda and AMD have done a fair bit of advertising as to how Prey is optimised for Vega. Prey is releasing 5/5/17, it would be pretty odd if Vega wasn't available at the same time.

:( It feels like that's forever away

Caporegime
Ah but is that outperform in just VR gaming? That article was talking about VR when it went on to claim that.

But owning a 75Hz freesync 4k screen I would love it to be true and would sell my Titan for it.

Permabanned
I doubt AIB's would have any way of adding more VRAM. The HBM is on the main solution AMD will be supplying them, so if there are 16GB versions, they'll be rather expensive and rare I believe.

Sadly none of those are official spec tables from AMD; and best not to trust anything drawn up by WCCFtech. They're well known for lying to get clicks.

Let's not forget them convincing most of the web that Polaris will be Fury or GTX 1070 speeds on launch, with easy overlocks on reference to 1500Mhz.

Best to ignore those sites, and just sit tight and wait for official word.

It's best to always check your source's source, I was reading an article the other day on a new to me tech site and when I reached the bottom
it sourced it from a WCCF article so I just unsubbed and wiped it from my mind as another 5 minutes of my life wasted from someone quoting
a site I actively ignore.

It's actually quite sad that the standards set on the Internet are so low.

Man of Honour
WCCFT stated they had working 1500Mhz cards, and that Factory OC'd ones will be at 1400Mhz without issue., and they even went so far as to say AMD was trying to "bribe" them with hardware to remove those "leaks".

Also it's a bit much to extrapolate 1500Mhz from 1.2v, as sure they could, but the heat output and power requirement wouldn't make it the RX 480 that we have.
There's a difference between stating "yeah we have Fury/Nano to GTX 1070 performance here on reference and AIB air cooling at 1500Mhz", and stating, that the process at 1.2v could allow up to 1500Mhz potentially.

Fair enough - I just know the talk of 1500Mhz didn't start with wccf - I guess they just ran with it and built their own story around a snippet of fact :|

Soldato
Fair enough - I just know the talk of 1500Mhz didn't start with wccf - I guess they just ran with it and built their own story around a snippet of fact :|

Yup, and the issue is many other sites started following suit, with WCCFT as the source as well.
It caused that horrific hype train for Polaris that derailed at light speed when reviews hit, and it was around R7 390 performance.

Sure it's faster now, but damn did that train crash hard.

So all I can say is, avoid WCCFT and anyone related to them, and simply wait for some official information, either from AMD directly, or from the likes of PcPer, Anandtech and others that have direct conversations form them. They usually post the interview videos as well.

Caporegime
I don't mind a bit of wccftech but everyone regular on these forums should well know that most of their news is if, and's and maybes and some of it is just plain BS dug from the dpeths of the deepest and biggest cesspit EVER :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I don't mind a bit of wccftech but everyone regular on these forums should well know that most of their news is if, and's and maybes and some of it is just plain BS dug from the dpeths of the deepest and biggest cesspit EVER :D
I don't need to go there, I get plenty of their BS posted right here anyway (thanks Loadsa) :p:D

Caporegime
I don't need to go there, I get plenty of their BS posted right here anyway (thanks Loadsa) :p:D
haha, gotta love Loadasmoney and his quickness. In fairness to him, he does post it all up, so no bias shown and makes for debates, so all good.

As to that SeekingAlpha article, not sure where they got their info but I would be over the moon if it was correct. It would put some well needed funds in the AMD coffers if they have a '1080Ti beating' card coming soon.

Caporegime

No probs ;) :D

haha, gotta love Loadasmoney and his quickness. In fairness to him, he does post it all up, so no bias shown and makes for debates, so all good.

As to that SeekingAlpha article, not sure where they got their info but I would be over the moon if it was correct. It would put some well needed funds in the AMD coffers if they have a '1080Ti beating' card coming soon.

:)

Soldato
Yup, and the issue is many other sites started following suit, with WCCFT as the source as well.
It caused that horrific hype train for Polaris that derailed at light speed when reviews hit, and it was around R7 390 performance.

Sure it's faster now, but damn did that train crash hard.

So all I can say is, avoid WCCFT and anyone related to them, and simply wait for some official information, either from AMD directly, or from the likes of PcPer, Anandtech and others that have direct conversations form them. They usually post the interview videos as well.
AMD is probably a poor source themselves, at least in terms of what to expect from relative performance. They've been contributing to the overhyping of their products as well.

Soldato
AMD is probably a poor source themselves, at least in terms of what to expect from relative performance. They've been contributing to the overhyping of their products as well.

Only as much as NVIDIA with that "founders edition" overclocked to over 2.114Ghz running at ~67 degrees max.
Then trying to spin it as a superior product over a normal reference design they had on the previous titan and 980Ti.
https://youtu.be/bNCfn4y8dBw?t=3m40s

Also neither have ever lied flat out about the Specifications on their cards( maybe the GTX 970 ), which is the context of the conversation here.

The same can't be said for WCCFT the waffled they make up about cards to hype for clicks.

Last edited:
Associate
damn ... Vega getting hyped up. Truth be told if they don't have something in the ballpark of 1080-1080Ti things are going to get messy.

Heh the best part of the article was that Volta is due end 2018 start 2019.

Around 7nm Navi, and 6 months after 14nm Navi.

When Volta iwas supposed to come out this year to combat Vega.....
are you sure Volta's going to be out this year? seems a bit of a stretch. Specifically if the partners are supposed to get out 1060/1080 versions with faster memory.

Soldato
The way I see Vega with all it's architectural features such as HBM2 and this new High bandwidth caching system is as a VR optimized architecture.

Which might be fantastic.... but isn't what I'm looking for in a GPU.

Man of Honour
are you sure Volta's going to be out this year?

Early 10nm products (not GPU size) are just going into volume production right now - seems yields are still too poor for high density designs at this point, 12FFC products taping out and going into volume production sometime towards the end of or just after Q2 I believe. First production run for Volta is going into industrial applications so unlikely to see it in GeForce cards before September this year - more likely into 2018 (assuming we even see it used in GeForce as is).

Last edited:
Caporegime
Heh the best part of the article was that Volta is due end 2018 start 2019.

Around 7nm Navi, and 6 months after 14nm Navi.

When Volta iwas supposed to come out this year to combat Vega.....

Since when? Far far back in time Volta was meant to be out 2016/17 but due to issues/problems thats why quite some time ago Nvidia slotted in Pascal to fill the gap otherwise they would have had two years with no new card.

Caporegime
damn ... Vega getting hyped up. Truth be told if they don't have something in the ballpark of 1080-1080Ti things are going to get messy.

are you sure Volta's going to be out this year? seems a bit of a stretch. Specifically if the partners are supposed to get out 1060/1080 versions with faster memory.

Volta chips already exist with mass availability of a new Drive PX powered by Volta available Q3 this year. HPC products for oak-ridge are due Q4 or 2018Q1. Gaming ASICs could be anytime for Q3 this year on wards. but probably not until next year. The most recent rumors is Volta will prepare much earlier than originally forecast. Was planned for 10nm process but since the 10nm is delayed Volta will be released on TSMC's new 12nm AKA 16nmFF+, AKA 20nm planar process.

Man of Honour
Since when? Far far back in time Volta was meant to be out 2016/17 but due to issues/problems thats why quite some time ago Nvidia slotted in Pascal to fill the gap otherwise they would have had two years with no new card.

A lot of the information on Volta and Pascal is simply wrong - not that I know the actual truth of it but I know enough to know the popular vision of it is wrong.

Volta was never given a specific timeframe - people just assumed it based on misreading information. There was some switching around behind the scenes on various projects due to issues but at that time I don't believe Pascal even really existed as such.

Caporegime
A lot of the information on Volta and Pascal is simply wrong - not that I know the actual truth of it but I know enough to know the popular vision of it is wrong.

Volta was never given a specific timeframe - people just assumed it based on misreading information. There was some switching around behind the scenes on various projects due to issues but at that time I don't believe Pascal even really existed as such.

thats what i meant. On the roadmap there was no Pascal and it was a late shoe in. You only do that cause Volta isnt going to be ready when they originally planned it to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom