• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I can confirm that Adaptive vysnc works well in the Nvidia drivers.

Fast sync tho.... Horrible. I tried it and there was a noticeable performance regression.

as far as i know for fastsync to work you need 3 times more fps than the refresh rate of your monitor, so if you have 60hz, lower settings to hit 180 fps.

60Hz still seems a bit problematic with it - I use it with my U2913WM that does 75Hz overclocked and in most cases it works fine - there are some applications where you need 3x the framerate to avoid any stutter but in most cases aslong as you are (capable of) rendering with a reasonable overhead over the refreshrate (like 90+ fps) it mostly worked fine. Knocking it down to 60Hz there was more situations where you needed 3x the framerate or it just descended into lower performance/stutter which was kind of odd as knock it back to 75Hz and it cleared that up.

Its pretty sweet if you have a 75-120+Hz display that doesn't support some form of adaptive sync though could still do with some improvements.

Associate
If your framerate is always hitting the refresh rate (as in the 1070 combo you cited) you won't get tearing with adaptive vsync - that only happens if you drop below the framerate window for the refresh rate.
minimums are mostly due to CPU, if his cpu isn't good enough a 1070 wouldn't help much, he would get higher fps, but those minimums that matter won't go anywhere, especialy if his cpu have low core count.

Man of Honour
minimums are mostly due to CPU, if his cpu isn't good enough a 1070 wouldn't help much, he would get higher fps, but those minimums that matter won't go anywhere, especialy if his cpu have low core count.

Scenario I was posting in response to he was talking of a scenario where it was running >60fps.

Associate
I wonder if Vega cards will coil whine less than Nvidia?

I have tried 8 different GPUs (ranging from 970GTX to 1080GTX) and they all buzz in 30-120 fps, whine at 120-300 and SCREECH in 300+.
Everyone says coil whine does not happen on every GPU, but so far my experience says the opposite. I've never seen a GPU that does not buzz on "regular" FPS. I mean NEVER. Even my old 760GTX did it, it was just a lot quieter than the Maxwell/Pascal generation does so.

My current GPU is quite acceptable for 60 fps or 100 fps, but uncapped, 170 fps is already unbearable, and things like Nvidia's Stone Giant tech demo makes me wanna kill myself with the amount of screeching it generates.

(yes, I tried different MoBos, different PSUs including gold rated ones and even used a UPS. Nothing works, they all buzz/whine/screech, depending on load & fps count).

Man of Honour
Likewise I've had my hands on personally or builds, etc. probably 100+ GPUs both AMD and nVidia and only encountered 1 that I recall that had any significant level of coil whine under normal use (most are bad at 200+fps but that is another matter). I have had some instances that turned out to be PSU related.

My 1070 does get slightly screechy at around 180fps but normal use around 140fps nada.

Caporegime
Likewise I've had my hands on personally or builds, etc. probably 100+ GPUs both AMD and nVidia and only encountered 1 that I recall that had any significant level of coil whine under normal use (most are bad at 200+fps but that is another matter). I have had some instances that turned out to be PSU related.

My 1070 does get slightly screechy at around 180fps but normal use around 140fps nada.

Often it is PSU Related....

Don
I know there's not much to talk about - but can we try and keep it vaguely Vega related (e.g. comparison of vsync techs, possible coil whine etc is all reasonably ok if it doesn't drag on for too long, history lessons and NVIDIA product announcements not so much), as there have been a couple of complaints. Thanks - Armageus

Caporegime
AMD: Radeon RX Vega Is The New Catalyst

Radeon RX Vega: What's Special About It?

AMD will launch its new HBM2 (high-bandwidth memory) powered, high-end graphics cards in 4GB and 8GB variants based on Vega-architecture within few weeks. These cards will be more powerful than AMD's RX series cards released last year based on Polaris architecture, coupled with its LiquidVR technology. Polaris was an architecture based on GDDR5 memory.

Although AMD claimed that Polaris architecture, coupled with LiquidVR technology, was capable of delivering good VR (virtual reality) experience, the fact is that without high-end memory support, it's impossible to deliver VR-based fully immersive gaming performance. HBM2-based Vega will have the potential to remove this bottleneck. Vega-based cards will outcompete even Nvidia's (NASDAQ:NVDA) most powerful graphics card for gaming, which is its Pascal-based GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X memory. Vega will also deliver smooth 4K display.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4058480-amd-radeon-rx-vega-new-catalyst

:eek: :p

Last edited:
Associate
AMD will launch its new HBM2 (high-bandwidth memory) powered, high-end graphics cards in 4GB and 8GB variants based on Vega-architecture within few weeks. These cards will be more powerful than AMD's RX series cards released last year based on Polaris architecture, coupled with its LiquidVR technology. Polaris was an architecture based on GDDR5 memory.

Although AMD claimed that Polaris architecture, coupled with LiquidVR technology, was capable of delivering good VR (virtual reality) experience, the fact is that without high-end memory support, it's impossible to deliver VR-based fully immersive gaming performance. HBM2-based Vega will have the potential to remove this bottleneck. Vega-based cards will outcompete even Nvidia's (NASDAQ:NVDA) most powerful graphics card for gaming, which is its Pascal-based GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X memory. Vega will also deliver smooth 4K display.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4058480-amd-radeon-rx-vega-new-catalyst

:eek: :p

this is not the first time iv read seekingalpha articles about some cpu/gpu stuff, i am pretty convinced that who ever write this stuff, doesn't know what he is talking about.

Soldato
this is not the first time iv read seekingalpha articles about some cpu/gpu stuff, i am pretty convinced that who ever write this stuff, doesn't know what he is talking about.

This has a 50-50 chance of being true so why not lol. If it's true then his guess will have been good and his site looks like it knew what they were talking about. If not make excuses and live another day.

Soldato
Anyone can write on seekingalpha. Its a kind of free range publishing for stock related news and opinions. I dont think they have staff exactly, so yea quality will vary and their viewpoint is finance etc. Its most useful for deciphering balance sheets, revenue to debt
Here is that guys bio:
I am an MBA finance who worked as a stock adviser in an NY-based brokerage firm from 2003 to 2012 covering tech stocks. Currently I am working in an Asia-based investment bank as a sell side analyst. As an individual investor, I generally focus on companies undergoing transition. My investment approach involves deriving value from transition, such as companies changing their business model, turnaround stories, merger and acquisition opportunities, and spin-offs.

AMD will launch its Vega-based GPUs in a few weeks.

So its April ? I thought that was 580. He doesnt know imo

Soldato
I just read somewhere these cards might have 16Gb of HBM2 vram.

Hmm, the last die shot only shows two HBM modules; and HBM2 is 4GB a module.

a065dcefdbe14c64996b15ed262a16eb.png

Soldato
Rumour has it that the Polaris 10 refresh will hit very soon. On that note, Bethesda and AMD have done a fair bit of advertising as to how Prey is optimised for Vega. Prey is releasing 5/5/17, it would be pretty odd if Vega wasn't available at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom