Sports Car Suggestions

Caporegime
Z4M from an official dealer with option for further warranty for less than £20K. Is that possible?
A quick look on PH shows that it is, just. You're looking at a near ten year old car with 50k+ miles though so I don't think you could get the official warranty. Look after it and it's doubtful you'd lose a lot of money though. An Elise/Exige/VX220 Turbo likely won't lose a penny either.

Caporegime
they way I see it with £20K to spend

MX-5 - poor mans convertible therefore with £20K budget it should be avoided.
S2000 - Scene car, no point buying unless your part of a scene and plan on modding. expensive to buy because of scene tax.
Again I would avoid an E85 with a £20K budget. if you had a £6-10k budget then an E85 Z4 is the one to go for so that can be disregarded as well.

I don't know much about the 350Z other than it's Nissan - Reliable, and 3.5 litre so it goes like stink and is the older version of the 370Z. Is it a £20K car purchase? IMO no if you can get a 370Z. So that is why I have ruled that out, why would you go for the older model if you can get the new one within budget? So unless you want to save money disregard it.

which leaves either a Z4 E89 or a 370Z.

Personally I don't like the E89 that much, I heard it's not that good a drive for a "sports car". So 370Z is the only choice IMO unless like I said before your not looking to spend £20K. That would open a can of worms though as you could just spend £6K on a E85 Z4 3.0i and be happy.

Man of Honour
S2000 - Scene car, no point buying unless your part of a scene and plan on modding. expensive to buy because of scene tax.
Wut?

You do realise that the majority of them stay standard and are owned by people who are over 50? Their increase in value has nothing to do with scene tax.

Soldato
It's weird how people keep saying that s2k is expensive to insure :o for me it is the same price as an mx5 1.6.

one of the cheaper performance cars to insure, my z4 is around £500/year more.

Caporegime
Wut?

You do realise that the majority of them stay standard and are owned by people who are over 50? Their increase in value has nothing to do with scene tax.

either way you don't get much for your money now since prices are increasing. they are overpriced much like z4m's are now. i don't see why anyone would buy one now with it being much more expensive unless like i said you were planning on modding it and were part of a scene. 4-5 years ago then yeah it would have been worthy of having on a short list. i'd rather have a 300bhp 350Z for the money and still have plenty change left over for modding it.

Caporegime
It's weird how people keep saying that s2k is expensive to insure :o for me it is the same price as an mx5 1.6.

one of the cheaper performance cars to insure, my z4 is around £500/year more.

you live in london though. and a s2000 is a scene car whereas the mx-5 doesn't have that sort of appeal. so i can understand why it's insurance would be higher. it's also more expensive to buy in the first place.

Soldato
you live in london though. and a s2000 is a scene car whereas the mx-5 doesn't have that sort of appeal. so i can understand why it's insurance would be higher. it's also more expensive to buy in the first place.

I'd say mx5 is more of a scene car than s2k is :) just have a look at youtube and everyone and their mum has one, slammed, drifted etc..

s2k is very much a tuners car but I'd hardly call it a proper scene car. It's too expensive to be one

Man of Honour
i'd rather have a 300bhp 350Z for the money and still have plenty change left over for modding it.
I'd rather have an S2000, the 350Z to me in standard form feels heavy, slow and far from nimble. But I guess that's why nobody drives the same car.

Last edited:
Caporegime
they way I see it with £20K to spend

MX-5 - poor mans convertible

S2000 - Scene car, no point buying unless your part of a scene

I don't know much about the 350Z other than it's Nissan

which leaves either a Z4 E89 or a 370Z.

Personally I don't like the E89 that much

What a completely useless and stupid post...... :p

Soldato
:mad:

But seriously, mine doesn't rattle and I love the body shape, each to their own I guess

Mine didn't rattle on motorways and generally not on the smoother roads in towns, but my commute is all B-roads and the interior used to rattle about, and squeak. It's almost all just the boot trim (different from the roadster) and the parcel shelf, which rattles against the boot lid. Evo had one as a long termer, and complained of many rattles developing, and it's a common complaint on owners forums. The coupe isn't even any more refined - it's firmer and there's no more sound deadening in the roof than the roadster.

It's a good looking car, ultimately why I bought mine, but having had both a roadster (which was considerably older, had done twice the miles and was only the 2.5) and the coupe, I'd have the roadster every single time.

Soldato
Mine didn't rattle on motorways and generally not on the smoother roads in towns, but my commute is all B-roads and the interior used to rattle about, and squeak. It's almost all just the boot trim (different from the roadster) and the parcel shelf, which rattles against the boot lid. Evo had one as a long termer, and complained of many rattles developing, and it's a common complaint on owners forums. The coupe isn't even any more refined - it's firmer and there's no more sound deadening in the roof than the roadster.

It's a good looking car, ultimately why I bought mine, but having had both a roadster (which was considerably older, had done twice the miles and was only the 2.5) and the coupe, I'd have the roadster every single time.

I've heard some rattles but only a few times around the glove box area, nothing from the back yet! :)

Well I do want a z4m ;) so we'll see what the future holds, if I could get z4m with a hardtop then I'd be happy.

Shame about the prices, 20k + for a low mileage one now.

Caporegime
I'd say mx5 is more of a scene car than s2k is :) just have a look at youtube and everyone and their mum has one, slammed, drifted etc..

s2k is very much a tuners car but I'd hardly call it a proper scene car. It's too expensive to be one

the reason why everyone has one is because it's cheap. which is what i said. it's a poor mans convertible.

Back
Top Bottom