Sports Car Suggestions

Caporegime
How is an S2000 'scene' tax? I dont even think you could pay £20k for one anyway and are probably too low comared to the budget.

Z4M is scene tax as they aren't twice the car of a S2000 IMO. You can get a very good S2000 for £10k and it will go up in value and have the added bonus of not needing a warranty. The Z4M is an 'over-engineed' car which is very much a straight line weapon. That gearbox is shocking too

Caporegime
the reason why everyone has one is because it's cheap. which is what i said. it's a poor mans convertible.

@Cleisthenes @Frozennova :p

Guys, guys, did you know that the MX5 doesn't have excellent chassis dynamics and it isn't a driver focused car at all? I feel a bit stupid now, as poor men we could have got vastly superior MG TF's for about £500! Or maybe Astra convertibles! :(

For the price you paid for yours Clamfrills, you could even have bought a 350Z or an S2000! You donut!

Soldato
How is an S2000 'scene' tax? I dont even think you could pay £20k for one anyway and are probably too low comared to the budget.

Z4M is scene tax as they aren't twice the car of a S2000 IMO. You can get a very good S2000 for £10k and it will go up in value and have the added bonus of not needing a warranty. The Z4M is an 'over-engineed' car which is very much a straight line weapon. That gearbox is shocking too

z4m prices have been jinxed by the dealers! many z4m forum cars sold for 13k for example have been bought by dealers and now are for sale for 25k! :o and I've seen it happen to 4 cars now, dealers buy them and add 5-10k to the price which then brings up the over-all price up of the cars, including autotrader valuations + private sales.

Soldato

giphy.gif

Man of Honour
z4m prices have been jinxed by the dealers! many z4m forum cars sold for 13k for example have been bought by dealers and now are for sale for 25k! :o and I've seen it happen to 4 cars now, dealers buy them and add 5-10k to the price which then brings up the over-all price up of the cars, including autotrader valuations + private sales.
Most 90/00's turbo Jap cars and NA sports cars are increasing in value.

Soldato

Guys, guys, did you know that the MX5 doesn't have excellent chassis dynamics and it isn't a driver focused car at all? I feel a bit stupid now, as poor men we could have got vastly superior MG TF's for about £500! Or maybe Astra convertibles! :(

For the price you paid for yours Clamfrills, you could even have bought a 350Z or an S2000! You donut!
You're right, I could have bought a 350z or S2000. But they would have been 5 years older and considerably more costly to run. Should have bought that TF :(

And don't even joke about Astra convertibles, I've been in one as a passenger before and it was horrible.

Caporegime

again your quoting out of context like you did earlier and i ignored but this time i will bite.

the mx-5 is a reliable, decent car. however is it a £20K sports car? nope it's not. it excels in its market which is the cheap convertible and by cheap i mean cheap to buy, own, maintain and repair.

someone looking to buy a Z4M wouldn't consider a MX-5 and vice versa. a MX-5 buyer wouldn't be looking at Z4M's

Soldato
I don't know about 350Z running costs, but I don't see how an S2000 would cost considerably more to run than an MX-5.
32mpg from the 5 compared with 23 from the S2000.
£230 tax compared with £520 (or £305 if you get an earlier one).
Will likely be considerably more to insure too.

I did a lot of research in 350Z before I bought my Alfa and they have similar running costs to the 2000 from what I can tell.

Caporegime
You're right, I could have bought a 350z or S2000. But they would have been 5 years older and considerably more costly to run.

which proves my point. the MX-5 because is cheap to run, buy and maintain. with it being 5 years newer it would be more reliable. if you had more money to spend then you could have gotten a newer s2000 or 350/370z?

if you don't have a lot of money to spend on running and maintanance then sure buy an MX-5 it's the right choice if your looking for a 2 door convertible.

which is why i've labelled it a poor mans convertible

Caporegime
They don't make the S2000 anymore and the 370Z convertible isn't as driver focused as a new MX5, nor is the Z4. How does that fit in with your theory? :p

The CEO of a finance company where I used to work bought an Abarth 124 Spyder (an MX5 with a Fiat engine) to go alongside his E Class as well. To replace his MR2 T-Bar... I'm sure he'll find your opinion interesting. :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour

I drove mine hard and pretty much got 29 mpg unless doing a longer drive in which case over 30 was manageable. I wouldn't call that difference considerable.

£25 a month isn't a considerable amount, that's if you get post '06.

All depends on circumstances.

An S2000 would not cost considerably more to run over 2 years compared to an MX-5.

They are the poor mans choice because you can buy them for about £500-1000.

Last edited:
Don
An S2000 would cost considerably more to run over 2 years compared to an MX-5.

I disagree entirely. I sold my 2007 S2000 last year (2016) for £12k with 52k on the clock. I bought it in 2012 for £14k with 25k on the clock. That's a £2k loss on depreciation over 4 years and 25k miles. There aren't many cars outside of exotica with that kind of retention. That makes the entire ownership cost very low.

Caporegime

I did a lot of research in 350Z before I bought my Alfa and they have similar running costs to the 2000 from what I can tell.

28.5mpg based on my S2000

If you want big running costs get a BMW M.

Man of Honour
I disagree entirely. I sold my 2007 S2000 last year (2016) for £12k with 52k on the clock. I bought it in 2012 for £14k with 25k on the clock. That's a £2k loss on depreciation over 4 years and 25k miles. There aren't many cars outside of exotica with that kind of retention. That makes the entire ownership cost very low.
I missed 'not' out in my post. I've edited my post now.

Caporegime
They don't make the S2000 anymore and the 370Z convertible isn't as driver focused as a new MX5, nor is the Z4. How does that fit in with your theory? :p

The CEO of a finance company where I used to work bought an Abarth 124 Spyder (an MX5 with a Fiat engine) to go alongside his E Class as well. To replace his MR2 T-Bar... I'm sure he'll find your opinion interesting. :D

he's a moron tbh. £30k on a relatively slow 2 door sports convertible with what a 1.4 turbo'd engine? i take it he watches whatever top gear is now called on amazon and makes his choices based solely on that show which is now primarily there for comedy value rather than car knowledge.

he could have gotten a decent porsche for that.

back to my original point. with £20K to spend the only reason to go for an MX-5 is the low running costs and to bank most of that £20K.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom