*** Rogue One: A Star Wars Story *** (NOW WITH SPOILERS)

Associate
Seen Rogue One midnight screening and was blown away, recently watched again on Blu-ray and its up there with one of the best Star Wars films, nostalgia-gasm and THAT ending gives me goosebumps everytime. Looking forward to seeing how they pull off the Han-Solo film.

Caporegime
Found it disappointing. I wonder if the multiple reshoots took something away from it.

Would be interesting to see how it was originally as it was said to be much darker than the final product. Even the Vader scene at the end was a last minute addition, if that hasn't been included it would have been a much poorer movie for it. Would be nice to see the footage that was shot that was supposedly deemed to be "too dark", though i don't see that happening, you might get the odd few seconds here and there but not the full scenes.

Soldato
Would be interesting to see how it was originally as it was said to be much darker than the final product. Even the Vader scene at the end was a last minute addition, if that hasn't been included it would have been a much poorer movie for it. Would be nice to see the footage that was shot that was supposedly deemed to be "too dark", though i don't see that happening, you might get the odd few seconds here and there but not the full scenes.
Almost needs a directors cut release.

Associate
Saw this over the weekend and must say I found it to be a much better film than The Force Awakens. The only part that I found a bit off was a small bit at the ending which felt very out of place (I assume from one of the reshoots).

I found the characters to be more interesting than any from TFA or the Prequels as well, I would have loved to have seen them in a series of films rather than just a one off.

Caporegime
Saw this over the weekend and must say I found it to be a much better film than The Force Awakens. The only part that I found a bit off was a small bit at the ending which felt very out of place (I assume from one of the reshoots).

I found the characters to be more interesting than any from TFA or the Prequels as well, I would have loved to have seen them in a series of films rather than just a one off.

The droid in my opinion is the best character to have been introduced since the original trilogy.

Soldato
The droid in my opinion is the best character to have been introduced since the original trilogy.

I actually prefer BB8 to K2-SO (only marginally as K2 has some great one liners)

I would love to see a directors cut as originally shot of R One, Im not a huge fan of the released version , lots of fantastic elements but as a film its a bit meh for me.

Outstanding cinematography throughout the film

Caporegime
I saw this and TFA at the weekend, and concur that RO is a much better film. I'd even go so far as to say it's the Star Wars film I've been waiting for since Empire Strikes Back. K2-SO was perfect comic relief without spoiling what is a gritty storyline. Only issue I had was with using CGI likenesses of Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher.

Soldato
Personally i thought the tarkin cgi was fine. Leia was abit dodgey. And apart from the slowish start its the best star wars yet. I'd lovw to see the original cut. Its a shame morw films don't shioq alternative versions. Payback with Mel Gibson is 2 different films altogether

Soldato
I saw this at the cinema and just recently re-watched it. Loved it as much as I did the first time, slightly slow pace at the start, but if they churn out extended universe films of this quality after a production hell I can't wait to see more!

Caporegime
Personally i thought the tarkin cgi was fine. Leia was abit dodgey. And apart from the slowish start its the best star wars yet. I'd lovw to see the original cut. Its a shame morw films don't shioq alternative versions. Payback with Mel Gibson is 2 different films altogether

Tarkin looked ok in certain scenes, it really depended on the lighting. He went from looking good to looking like an over the top, aged cartoon character in some scenes.

Caporegime
Really need to get round to watching this, never got a chance to watch it in the cinema but got a £13 voucher from sky a few mths back and pre-ordered Star Wars rogue one.

Will try and watch this later tonight, depending on the missus and her plans for me.

Sucks that sky send out dvds rather than blu rays. I mean people who are spending £14 for the buy and keep on sky, that's about the price of a blu ray disc give or take a few quid. I would have bought the blu ray had I not got the free voucher lol.

Rant over.

70% of movies bought for home viewing are still on DVD. Blu-Ray is coming later this year apparently, not sure when though.

Having seen FA 4 or 5 times now, it's a very poor film IMO. Disney really pushed from above to not make anything in any way divisive IMO and it shows. It's very much by the numbers and sits behind all three of the Original trilogy for me. Rogue One is, by far, the better film of the two.

Soldato

I have less of a problem with the CGI than I do with some truly awful characterisation for Leia. Throughout the original trilogy (and TFA) we're shown Leia as someone how genuinely CARES about people. So it completely goes against character that, when given the plans for the Death Star that were literally taken from the hand of someone being slaughtered by Vader, she turns to the camera and, whilst saying her line about hope, she SMILES! WTF?! That was just ridiculous writing. She should have looked stoic, determined, slightly saddened, anything but happy. Although it was over-acted, think about Mon Mothma's face when she delivers her line about Bothans and plans for the DS2. That was more appropriate to both characters. Leia's smile is such a stupid mistake for the film-makers to include.

Caporegime
70% of movies bought for home viewing are still on DVD. Blu-Ray is coming later this year apparently, not sure when though.

Having seen FA 4 or 5 times now, it's a very poor film IMO. Disney really pushed from above to not make anything in any way divisive IMO and it shows. It's very much by the numbers and sits behind all three of the Original trilogy for me. Rogue One is, by far, the better film of the two.
TFA basically has an almost-identical plot to ANH, I don't know why they bothered. Having only recently watched it, I was surprised that Star Wars fans gave it so many positive comments when it came out, though to be fair after the disappointments of Episodes 1-3 I guess "doesn't suck" is an achievement.

To clarify my comments on the CGI; it was the ethical implications of using an actor's physical appearance rendered in CGI that bothered me most - not sure that's morally right.

Caporegime
*shudders*

I have less of a problem with the CGI than I do with some truly awful characterisation for Leia. Throughout the original trilogy (and TFA) we're shown Leia as someone how genuinely CARES about people. So it completely goes against character that, when given the plans for the Death Star that were literally taken from the hand of someone being slaughtered by Vader, she turns to the camera and, whilst saying her line about hope, she SMILES! WTF?! That was just ridiculous writing. She should have looked stoic, determined, slightly saddened, anything but happy. Although it was over-acted, think about Mon Mothma's face when she delivers her line about Bothans and plans for the DS2. That was more appropriate to both characters. Leia's smile is such a stupid mistake for the film-makers to include.

Yup, almost all of the recurring characters from the original trilogy have been badly written, which is ridiculous when you think about how they have the source material there for all to see, and if there is one thing the original trilogy completely nailed it is gravitas.

Soldato

i wasn't a big fan of the new droid -his lines just felt forced to me, not natural. Its difficult to describe but the character just didn't do it for me.

I like rouge one, but i think i'm liking it less the more i see it - the faults just become more obvious. There are some really odd editing decisions that don't make sense (story wise) - i'm assuming that this was due to the re-shoots.

Caporegime
The one thing that irritated me about the movie (as i said before) was Felicity Jones and her "pressed together lips" because a few of her front teeth are crowded together slightly. She's obviously very conscious of it but it makes her look as if she has something in her mouth she's trying to hide in a lot of scenes. When she wasn't talking she just had that weird look on her face, which was an obviously conscious effort to keep her lips together.

Not sure why she doesn't get it fixed if it bothers her, and you just have to see her in this movie to know shes very aware of it.

Soldato
The one thing that irritated me about the movie (as i said before) was Felicity Jones and her "pressed together lips" because a few of her front teeth are crowded together slightly. She's obviously very conscious of it but it makes her look as if she has something in her mouth she's trying to hide in a lot of scenes. When she wasn't talking she just had that weird look on her face, which was an obviously conscious effort to keep her lips together.

Not sure why she doesn't get it fixed if it bothers her, and you just have to see her in this movie to know shes very aware of it.

Hmm I rather like the idea of watching Felicity press her lips together.
The CGI was dodgy in parts, simply due to lighting, it was the issue with epi1,2,3 no matter the scene, no blur, everything supersharp, everything supershiny, it looks so fake, it is fake.

Caporegime
I recently saw Felicity Jones in Inferno, and her mouth/teeth/lips thing were not at all obvious, so I don't know what was going on in Rogue One.

They weren't obvious in the hawking film either, but in Rogue one its very obvious she's almost pouting when she's not speaking.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Finally got round to watching this, it's a good film. Didn't notice that many issues with it and I liked the way it brought in elements of Episode 4. I think some of the Ep3 characters could have done with a bigger role. The Admiral had a key role in the movie and they should have at least mentioned him at the end, which felt slightly rushed.

Back
Top Bottom