*** Rogue One: A Star Wars Story *** (NOW WITH SPOILERS)

Soldato
To the people moaning about Vader's helmet, the reason they did that was because it's the same style he had in A New Hope.

Vader's helmet was then changed in Empire Strikes Back.

It would be silly for Vader to have a shiny helmet in Rogue One and a dull one in A New Hope.

Soldato
To the people moaning about Vader's helmet, the reason they did that was because it's the same style he had in A New Hope.

It would be silly for Vader to have a shiny helmet in Rogue One and a dull one in A New Hope.

No issues with the helmet itself, just the way the neck sits on the body in this film compared to all the rest of the films. It just looks off, like its not tucked in properly, which isnt evident in the OT.

Caporegime
Was quite disappointed with TFA, and having not seen any trailers nor read this thread prior to seeing R1 I approached it with a fairly open mind.

Nearly didn't bother going, I witnessed an awful fatal accident on Friday night whilst at work and really wasn't in the mood, lack of sleep etc but, I had a 10year old who I'd promised to take to see it so we went.

After the first 20-30 minutes or so I was thinking it's a bit meh, wasn't impressed with the lack of the scrolling opening and the score was lacking, come on, this is Star Wars!

But then it really took off for me, I liked the cgi resurrection of old characters and the way they tied in so many references to New Hope, it was epic, my lad announced it was the best film he's ever seen!

Went home and watched a new hope and must say I think R1 tops it, in fact I'd say it's the best so far.

Very much looking forward to the next in the franchise.

Soldato
No issues with the helmet itself, just the way the neck sits on the body in this film compared to all the rest of the films. It just looks off, like its not tucked in properly, which isnt evident in the OT.

I thought that during the movie. I went home and dug out A New Hope. It is a perfect match. Vadar Fat Neck I never noticed before.

Soldato
I really enjoyed this film and I thought it ended quite nicely. It wasn't ridiculous in it's conclusion no sudden super powers, knowledge or skills. It plainly lacked the wonder of A New Hope but was still a solidly enjoyable movie.

My only gripe and it applies to TFA even more is the lack of time that passes during the plot. The film gives the impression that everything happens in a few days there is no sense of time passing. Everyone can travel so quickly Darth Vader must live just down the road not a significant journey away. Jinn goes from naughty girl to trusted member of rebellion in what seems like 2 days and earns the trust of the Rogue Squadron in a matter of minutes. The same is true of the defector pilot. Some sense that maybe they spent weeks together chasing down leads to get some crucial bit of info, earning their stripes so to speak would have been nice.

A lot of movies have this problem and I can only assume it is as a consequence of the attention deficit generation having no concept of working for something.

Soldato

is that true? The reason I ask is that for some reason I thought the helmet looked really bad in rogue one, but loved it in a new hope :confused: it was one of my minor gripes with the film. Maybe my mind is playing tricks.

Man of Honour
Vader's helmet in EP 4, 5, 6 was distinctive, and it wasn't symmetrical. In EP 3 they made a symmetrical version and it looked odd.

In EP4 it was also not hugely shiny. They refined the sculpt with each movie, and EP5 has the shiny dome.

But what annoyed me was the codpiece was hugely wrong and the shoulder armour was uncovered...

Soldato
Vader's helmet in EP 4, 5, 6 was distinctive, and it wasn't symmetrical. In EP 3 they made a symmetrical version and it looked odd.

In EP4 it was also not hugely shiny. They refined the sculpt with each movie, and EP5 has the shiny dome.

But what annoyed me was the codpiece was hugely wrong and the shoulder armour was uncovered...

It was a perfect replica of the vadar armour in the opening scenes of A New Hope.

What is hard to take into account is that our memories are based on VHS tapes and it is certainly the first time I have seen it in high quality.

Man of Honour
It was a perfect replica of the vadar armour in the opening scenes of A New Hope.

What is hard to take into account is that our memories are based on VHS tapes and it is certainly the first time I have seen it in high quality.

It was close, extremely close. But not right.

Helmet was pretty damn good. Wouldn't surprise me if they laser scanned one of the originals that exist in the Lucasfilm Archives. They even got the colour of the lenses correct. I don't know if the did the full black helmet or did the two tone black/grey paintjob from ANH.

The codpiece was pretty ridiculously oversized, like he's compensating for having something burnt off. ;)

Missing various elements on the belt boxes, the red rings around the controls being the major one.

But the biggest whoops for me was putting the inner robe under the shoulder armour instead of on top.

Soldato
It was close, extremely close. But not right.

Helmet was pretty damn good. Wouldn't surprise me if they laser scanned one of the originals that exist in the Lucasfilm Archives. They even got the colour of the lenses correct. I don't know if the did the full black helmet or did the two tone black/grey paintjob from ANH.

The codpiece was pretty ridiculously oversized, like he's compensating for having something burnt off. ;)

Missing various elements on the belt boxes, the red rings around the controls being the major one.

But the biggest whoops for me was putting the inner robe under the shoulder armour instead of on top.

A New Hope:

kALLOk6.png

The best images I could find for Rogue One:
5mxfdMS.png
yZkC13W.jpg

The cape looks fine to me?

Soldato
After buying the bluray, I've just finished watching for the first time. Struck me as odd not seeing the wall of text at the beginning, and being able to see through the letters. Also the lack of lightsabre / combat scenes. It worked out well in the end though.

Felt like a slow film in general but not once did I feel the need to check the time.

Caporegime
Really need to get round to watching this, never got a chance to watch it in the cinema but got a £13 voucher from sky a few mths back and pre-ordered Star Wars rogue one.

Will try and watch this later tonight, depending on the missus and her plans for me.

Sucks that sky send out dvds rather than blu rays. I mean people who are spending £14 for the buy and keep on sky, that's about the price of a blu ray disc give or take a few quid. I would have bought the blu ray had I not got the free voucher lol.

Rant over.

Back
Top Bottom