Selling a phone

Permabanned
As the title says, I am selling a phone on Gumtree. A woman has asked if I can send it to her and she pay by Paypal however I always like people to collect stuff I sell as that way they can see it working. Would I be correct in thinking if she pays via friends and family the money cannot be reclaimed through Paypal?

Associate
I had a very similar request from a guy in London yesterday.

First he wanted me to ship it to him, then he'll pay.

After I laughed and said prefer cash up front he then offered to pay via Paypal.

I said yea fine, but you'll have to pay via friends and family and you'll have to trust me to ship it too you.

Didn't hear back from him. :rolleyes:

Caporegime
As it's been said numerous times, face to face and cash only.

It's up to u if u want to take the chance on her paying by PayPal and u shipping it out to her. It might be a hacked account so something to think about.

Permabanned
OP
As it's been said numerous times, face to face and cash only.

It's up to u if u want to take the chance on her paying by PayPal and u shipping it out to her. It might be a hacked account so something to think about.

Fair enough. Out of curiosity what would happen if it were a hacked account?

Permabanned
OP
This is the oldest scam in the book, and there isn't even a book. Surprised it took this long to come to senses :p

I decided a while ago bud. To be fair,over the last year or so Ive sold a few things over Gumtree and posted them. You can usually get a good judge of someone through a phonecall or two and its never been expensive things really. Sold a new 3ds xl before Christmas for £180 that went well and if they ask if I can post I take a deposit and wait a week after explaining I would rather meet up. I know its risky but that kind lessens the risk a bit.

Man of Honour
Problem is selling any high value item on Gumtree, and specifically stating phone/in person only, makes no difference. you always get the people who text or email asking if you'll post, or that they are buying for their son who is off fighting a war somewhere and wants to surprise them, and if you'd post it if they cover additional shipping costs via PayPal!!!

You can tell when someone is having it on right away due to the above.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure there's no way she could claim back from PayPal if she pays via friends and family?

Doesn't mean squat if the account is stolen. If you want to use Paypal and be (relatively) safe use ebay, Gumtree is for face to face transactions only.

Last edited:
Soldato
Caporegime
"Guys am I OK to do this thing that often leaves people out of pocket?""
"No definitely don't, cash only and face-to-face"
"OK I've had a chat with the buyer and they are happy to use PayPal friends and family"
"No don't do it, face to face and cash only"
"Thanks for your help but I think I'll do it anyway"

A few weeks pass

"Halp me I've been scammed on Gumtree and have no idea how it happened!"

Back
Top Bottom