• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
How the hell are they planning on going up against Volta with one year old tech? AMD are screwed this round. Hopefully we'll see Navi before 2019. *sigh*

Vega's tech ain't old though. It's far more advanced in ways compared to what Nvidia have atm so should be decent against Volta. When Volta comes around AMD also have a newer Vega in the form of 20. TBH nobody knows what Vega is capable of. The top Volta is a huge chip in comparison so it's a wait and see. You could be right and Navi is where AMD will look to fight back properly. This whole Vega saga is getting a little bit old and i just want to see what it can do. I don't know if it's still true but is it not still the case that Volta is going back more to an AMD kind of architecture to support DX12 better and that's why the chip might be so large. With 600mm2 being the biggest graphics chip in history and NV are over 800 for the top Volta then the performance might not be all that over Pascal when comparing chip size. I doubt the gaming chip will be this big but Nvidia look to be feeling the need to make a huge chip for the gains they are after.

Shocking reading this, i thought vega was gonna be out in a month or 2 :'(

It is. July, Ausust is a few months. The FE is released in June.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Quite a few of us feeling the same I imagine, I'm feeling cheesed off I know that much. Waiting and waiting is killing my enthusiasm for gaming, at this rate I'll prob not even bother with pc gaming for a while, just bored with all AMD BS being tied in with Freesync and always being shafted up the keister.

Will more than lijely just get OLED and a Scorpio later in the year and fap at the quality with far less stresses and disappointments.

Why bother waiting, just buy. 1080/to and be done with it. Worst case scenario and deliver a Vega card in a few months that is a little faster and a little cheaper. In the meantime you can enjoy gaming at max settings

Soldato
AMD **** me off more than nV because they keep talking the talk, then failing to deliver.

"Overclockers dream" before Fury release.
"Radeon revolution" "VR champion" before 400 series release. Revolution? My arse.
"Poor Volta" months and months ago, before releasing... well, nothing, actually.

All these stupid PR gaffs, PR stunts that backfire and make them look amateur whilst winding up their fans. Countdowns to nothing.

Hopefully Vega will be another HD7900/R290 beast and not another Fury/RX400 fail.

Associate
If that's true... hello Volta!

Basically AMD have been peddling 290 performance for the £250-£300 mark for ... four generations now?

If that's not going to change until 2018... AMD... you can get bent.

They shouldn't even bother releasing it.NVIIDIA will wipe the floor with them as its the Volta time frame. Bet NVIDIA is having a party at HQ reading all this.

Soldato
They shouldn't even bother releasing it.NVIIDIA will wipe the floor with them as its the Volta time frame. Bet NVIDIA is having a party at HQ reading all this.
Could you please give us a detailed break down of vega performance since you know so much about it already?

Soldato
Could you please give us a detailed break down of vega performance since you know so much about it already?
Given this whole thread is based on rumours that may be a little difficult.

What we do know however is that the best of Polaris is coming in at half the performance of a mid range pascal card. (1080).

Vega does need to cover a lot of ground just to catch up. Naturally Volta will move the target even further.

Why bother waiting and waiting though? The performance people need is already here and has been for over a year.

Soldato
Polaris is coming in at about 65% of the 1080's performance not half. A 4096 shader Polaris alone would probably be slightly above a 1080 let alone with a massively higher clock(1500-1600Mhz has been expected for a long time) and IPC upgrades they have talked about.

Associate
AMD showed us a few benchmarks of ryzen miles before launch comparing it to intels stuff.

Was there actually an Intel price cut as well?I don't recall seeing one.

Ryzen is also far far from perfect.

All they showed was that the IPC was there. We never had any idea about how high it'll clock, so in actual truth everyone was in the dark until the last minute. In many ways it's no different than these demos with Doom/Sniper Elite/Prey... They showed something, but nothing that would reveal their hand.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't AMD been posting losses?

Yes and it looks like Q2/17 will be the last quarter of loses (hence the explosion in share price). Starting Q3 they should be in the green.

Why would AMD be releasing detailed performance figures for a product which nobody can buy for two months?? Don't we have this same argument every year for like the last decade- the only time Nvidia or AMD ever release actual performance figures is when they have a proper launch and the cards are available within a few weeks.

^^^This.

61 is above 60 :p

Technically, if he was talking about average FPS, it could've been 60.001 :p

Associate
Imho Amd needs to sell their graphic division cause they clearly can't manage both at the same time

This would only happen as a Hail-Mary move to avoid bankruptcy. Thanks to the success of Ryzen, it is ten times more remote now than it was a year ago.

Sure, the GPU division went downhill because they decided that dGPU was dead and they stopped developing for that (Raja flat out admitted to that). Therefore they're playing catch-up now. But to put things into perspective: they were looking to use it for iGPUs (what they call APUs) which they thought was the future, so it never lost strategic importance.

Now, they were right in that iGPUs matter: Intel would love to have this sort of IP to use in its processors. You will see them hurting once Ryzen/Vega APUs hit the market in the second half of this year. At the same time, they couldn't have been more wrong in that dGPU is losing importance and this has cost them.

Either way, I doubt they could've pushed ahead on both fronts during the past few years, due to lack of funds. If you had to pick one of the two, the picked correctly: a resurgence in CPUs is more important than one in GPUs.

Caporegime
Literally 2 months wait for Vega, which is a short time for those waiting. No big games coming out (that I know of) in that time, so hopefully then, they will have HBM2 sorted and drivers up to scratch. Summer is here as well guys and the sun and beach are calling :p

Soldato
Why bother waiting, just buy. 1080/to and be done with it. Worst case scenario and deliver a Vega card in a few months that is a little faster and a little cheaper. In the meantime you can enjoy gaming at max settings

yeah it's why I've contemplated just buying a nice 1080ti, but the thing stopping me is my Freesync screen. Now I've played with adapative sync, I really don't want to play without it.

Associate
There is some very patient guys wanting to see what AMD are bringing to the table. They bypassed the 1080, they bypassed the 1080Ti and we were all pretty much under the assumption that Computex was the place to show off Vega but it didn't happen and hence why people are slightly negative. I would be the same if I was waiting and even though I am not, I am still disappointed to not see anything.

All of them can still go out and buy a 1080ti right now. Unless they're now going to bypass Vega and wait for Volta, in which case they're just procrastinators and should really only blame themselves, as by then 7nm and Navi will be right around the corner...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom