Oculus Rift

Soldato
Oculus have a tool you can download that will check your hardware for compatibility.

This is pretty important as the USB3 ports can be quite picky. If you get the touch controllers you'll need three USB3 ports (one for each sensor and one for the rift), otherwise it's just two (rift + 1 sensor). For some reason they dislike four of the usb3 ports on my board, but luckily I have 4 that they do like. So do run the check in case you need an expansion card.

Soldato
What did you fail on?

CPU and GPU. Ran the test after I got the rift and it failed, even though I was using VR and it was working fine.

The hardware test plays it completely safe.

Run the Steam VR test, it's a much better guide to where your hardware is at for VR.

Associate
Mine also failed the test on my ageing I7 920 CPU, but works fine on any of the games I've played so far. An upgrade from a 970 to 1080ti helped but I do need to upgrade the cpu/mobo at a later stage.

Soldato
Ok great. How does it work with oculus? Do I just launch a steam vr title and it fires up the rift?

Run Steam VR, make sure you run the room setup.

Then put on your headset, to run the steam menu press the bottom of the three buttons on the left touch controller.

First thing to download and try is the Lab. Great demo of what VR can do with lots of little sub games.

Soldato
My VR frames arrived today.

https://vr-lens-lab.com/product/vr-frames-virtual-reality-glasses/

I was previously using the VR lens lab adapters in my rift, but while I was used to them the barrel distortion always irritated me a little. The VR frames don't have any distortion and are quite comfortable to wear under the rift. I haven't had any long play sessions yet but I don't anticipate there being any comfort issues.

Overall I'm pleased with them and they should be handy to use in other VR headsets.

How does this work? Do you send your prescription through?

Associate
Just requested a quote for custom lensss...hope they aren't stupidly expensive. Are they any good? I've read about some issues with barrel distortion.

I'll say first that some people like them, and some people can see distortion but can cope with it. For me and others though, the barrel distortion is so horrifically bad, they're unusable.

Soldato
I'll say first that some people like them, and some people can see distortion but can cope with it. For me and others though, the barrel distortion is so horrifically bad, they're unusable.

That's the adapters though, not the VR frames. There is no barrel distortion with the frames.

Associate
Didn't realise I got robo recall free with my touch controllers. It is amazing! Played for an hr and a half and I'm knackered

Robo Recall is pretty awesome :) Do yourself a favour though and check out the quest modes in Rec Room if you haven't (Golden Trophy and Jumbotron) - some of the best multiplayer fun you can have in VR (though you might have to vote kick any annoying kids that drop in). Add me as Fluke in Rec Room (or Oculus Home) if you want a game sometime :)

Back
Top Bottom