• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3770k paired with 1080ti

Associate
Hey guys,

I know this comes up a lot, but i'm wondering what you're experience was when/if you upgraded from the 3770k?

Mine's currently clocked @4.5 and with a GTX780, but i feel it's times to plough a bit of money into at 1080ti. I'd like to go down the VR route this year, especially for racing titles.

Those that did upgrade to Ryzen or 7 series Intel, did you feel any major leap in performance?

Should i do the sensible thing and stay with the 3770k for one more generation?

Cheers

Associate
There are no major leaps to be had unless you will benefit from more cores in an application you use enough to warrant it, you could wait another gen, sad, boring, but true.

Associate
I had a 3770k at 4.5ghz with a heavily over clocked 980ti, I recently changed to a ryzen 1700 and if I'm honest, have noticed NO difference. I know I am more future proofed for the future and have a newer board with newer facilities and that was the main reason I did it....

If I could turn back the time, I would have kept the 3770k and got a 1080ti instead of ryzen.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
I had a 3770k at 4.5ghz with a heavily over clocked 980ti, I recently changed to a ryzen 1700 and if I'm honest, have noticed NO difference. I know I am more future proofed for the future and have a newer board with newer facilities and that was the main reason I did it....

Out of curiosity what did you cool the 3770K with to get 4.5Ghz?

Soldato
This is a very sensible comment.

Until game start using more cores there's little point in having four (or more) sat idle.

When that will be? Years and years...

Soldato
This is a very sensible comment.

Until game start using more cores there's little point in having four (or more) sat idle.

When that will be? Years and years...

Anything that uses the frostbite engine is hammering 8 threads at this moment. Destiny 2 is said to be able to take advantage of higher cores. We can't put a date on when quads will be dead but it's certainly happening

Associate
I'd just buy the 1080ti and keep your 3770k. Unless you have to have 60FPS+ at 4k with all the bells and whistles on, you will be very pleased with the performance upgrade over your current GPU

Associate
What about in games like bf1?

This is a very good question, as its the only reason Im looking to *possibly* upgrade my platform in the near future - BF1 can and does stretch my i7 [email protected] in extremely busy 64 player matches, I know this because the same maps in domination mode have a much much higher min fps.

Even in busy scenes my frame rate never drops below 70fps but I prefer to keep it in the 100's during intense scenes if I can!

I would love to know how the new 6 or 8 core CPU's handle BF1 more than anything!

Associate
This is a very good question, as its the only reason Im looking to *possibly* upgrade my platform in the near future - BF1 can and does stretch my i7 [email protected] in extremely busy 64 player matches, I know this because the same maps in domination mode have a much much higher min fps.

Even in busy scenes my frame rate never drops below 70fps but I prefer to keep it in the 100's during intense scenes if I can!

I would love to know how the new 6 or 8 core CPU's handle BF1 more than anything!

You're in luck.
I'm currently running a 4770k @ 4.3, and those BF1 64 player maps have the i7 at 100%
At this point someone who is emigrating are selling me their 1700x setup. At that price I couldn't resist. I have run a whole bunch of FRAPS on different maps and saved them to a stick. (And one on Crysis 3 just for giggles)
When I get the new rig, I'll run them again for comparison.
If you're interested I'll post them as a new thread.

Permabanned
Ye for real he also got external usb creative amp for like 320 quid.

As i see it no souch thing as too.powerfull gpu. At least he spent money on something descent instead of hookers booze and drugs in that order this month buhahaaha. As thats what hes spending 600 quid on each month more or less.

If i have time after work ill maybe install 3d mark and run it on it for you. Think its running 3x 3900 if i remember.

Everyone spends their cash on what ybey want. Its gigabyte 1080it auros or hows it called hes gotten. Should have seen hes face when he turned batylegriunds player unknown to see 17fps on max setting at 1080p buhahaha

O ye not mentioned 3 monts ho he gotten dell 27 inch 1080p 60hz monitor PERFECT for 1080ti init

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
If i have time after work ill maybe install 3d mark and run it on it for you. Think its running 3x 3900 if i remember.

Everyone spends their cash on what ybey want. Its gigabyte 1080it auros or hows it called hes gotten. Should have seen hes face when he turned batylegriunds player unknown to see 17fps on max setting at 1080p buhahaha

O ye not mentioned 3 monts ho he gotten dell 27 inch 1080p 60hz monitor PERFECT for 1080ti init

Is he not disheartened by this? This is the kind of stuff that would make my friends sell up and buy a console.

Associate
You're in luck.
I'm currently running a 4770k @ 4.3, and those BF1 64 player maps have the i7 at 100%
At this point someone who is emigrating are selling me their 1700x setup. At that price I couldn't resist. I have run a whole bunch of FRAPS on different maps and saved them to a stick. (And one on Crysis 3 just for giggles)
When I get the new rig, I'll run them again for comparison.
If you're interested I'll post them as a new thread.

Fantastic! That would be SUPER helpful thanks!

Also I don't suppose you've noticed any slowdown on the soissons map, especially around B objective have you?

Back
Top Bottom